Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 03:23 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times

Advertisements

Let's face it -- Jewish law is confusing. Its development is the subject of numerous books, its application and evolution (or lack thereof) can be mystifying. But, and I'm speaking as an Orthodox Jew, it is important.

The term for Jewish law is "halacha" which literally means "path" and this path is derived from the 613 (categories of) mitzvot/commandments that are given in the Torah, plus a whole mess of other commandments. Jewish law is not something that is compartmentalized away from other spheres of existence. It is pervasive, with subtleties of law relevant to every moment from when one wakes up to when one goes to sleep. It is about ritual, sure, but it is about elevating every activity to the level of ritual, subject to laws no less important and spiritually steeped.

It would be tough to start a thread which has, as its goal, the explanation of all halacha. It might be easier to focus on one or two random ones, as they apply to what's going on in the Jewish calendar (or in life).

For example, we have just finished the 2 day celebration of the new month of Adar. This calls forth topics such as the calendar (months, new and otherwise, leap years), holidays (such as the new month, and the upcoming Purim celebration) and the laws of a "regular" day, from the thrice daily liturgy to what one can have for dinner.

I don't know if there needs to be an order, or a schedule to these posts -- life throws a lot of stuff at us which is both helpful when trying to think of topics and also a distraction, but I can try to put some stuff up here every few days (less frequently if discussion takes off and wishes to meander in another direction, as it is the conversation which is most fruitful, not stand-alone posts). Also it is important to note -- each law, each commandment, each iteration, deserves a volume of its own. I can present a thumbnail's sketch of an even smaller thumbnail. Enough to whet an appetite. I invite others to branch out, read up and learn well beyond what I can put here.

And, as a reminder, when I put things up, I'm putting them up as a private citizen whose take on things is from the Orthodox perspective. I represent me. And even that, only sometimes.

If you are interested in halacha in a broader sense, or on a different schedule, there are many books I could recommend, websites which are wonderful, and even email services (like this one).

So, to start, I will point out that it is 5:20 PM, my time. This means that it is almost time to say the evening prayers (ma'ariv or arvit), the first prayers of the new date. They can be said now, but because one of the sine qua nons is the sh'ma prayer, which has to be said after the time of the emergence of 3 medium stars, I would have to repeat that prayer if I prayed any earlier. So I'll wait until 6:10. The daily clock is a strange thing in Judaism - if you want to see how the times play out for today, check here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 03:40 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
This looks like the start of what is going to be a great topic!

About the sh'ma prayer... I have a question for you.

I'm in the habit of reciting it shortly before I go to bed in the evening, and when I wake up first thing in the morning. I don't know exactly why I've been doing this but I think it may have something to do with the sh'ma being the last thing we're supposed to utter before death, and how one doesn't know whether one will wake up in the morning after going to sleep. And then, in the morning, I think it's because of thankfulness for having come through the night. Does this practice fit in with halacha in some way, or is it just a custom I've been practicing?

Old 02-14-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
This looks like the start of what is going to be a great topic!

About the sh'ma prayer... I have a question for you.

I'm in the habit of reciting it shortly before I go to bed in the evening, and when I wake up first thing in the morning. I don't know exactly why I've been doing this but I think it may have something to do with the sh'ma being the last thing we're supposed to utter before death, and how one doesn't know whether one will wake up in the morning after going to sleep. And then, in the morning, I think it's because of thankfulness for having come through the night. Does this practice fit in with halacha in some way, or is it just a custom I've been practicing?
There is something called "kriyat sh'ma al hamita" -- the reciting of the sh'ma when on the bed. There are a few prayers including the sh'ma that one says as the last thing said at night.

In the morning, we thank God for returning our souls to us by starting the day with the modeh ani ("I acknowledge/am grateful").

Old 02-14-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
There is something called "kriyat sh'ma al hamita" -- the reciting of the sh'ma when on the bed. There are a few prayers including the sh'ma that one says as the last thing said at night.

In the morning, we thank God for returning our souls to us by starting the day with the modeh ani ("I acknowledge/am grateful").
Good to know! Even though I'm Jewish, I expect to learn a lot more from this thread. Thanks for starting this!

Old 02-15-2021, 03:20 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Indeed, thank you...

Old 02-15-2021, 08:00 AM

A few words about the Sh'ma.

The sh'ma is a central and essential prayer in Judaism, declaring, initially, the monotheistic understanding of God's nature in Judaism. It begins with a single verse, Deut 6:4

This is followed by a whispered declaration of praise, and then the reading of three other biblical sections (Deut 6:5-9, 11:13-21 and Num 15:37-41). Must has been written about saying it, from its importance to the volume at which it must be said.

This unit of prayer (though, in times of extreme need, there are opinions which say one can fulfill some measure of the obligation to say it with only the first verse or the first verse and first paragraph) is required daily, twice (from the statement "when you lie down and when you wake up"). The normal fulfillment is through the placement of the sh'ma in the morning and evening prayers.

It is worthwhile to point out, though, that he prayer (at least the beginning of it) appears in other places (for a variety of reasons):

In the introductory sections in the morning, before the section called "sacrifices"
In some prayer books, after the Song of the Sea, closing out the Psalms of Praise (p'sukei d'zimra)
At the end of the section of the Monday and Thursday Tachanun (supplication) [the daily Tachanun section references the prayer and comments on it]
In the sabbath and holiday musaf prayer
In the beginning of the sabbath and holiday Torah reading service
At night before bed (the "al hamita" I mentioned a post or two ago)
At the close of Yom Kippur services.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:19 AM

A few quick points about prayer:

there are 3 fixed prayer services on each week day. Four on holidays/sabbath and 5 on Yom Kippur.

There are blessings said throughout the day.

Prayers serve at least 3 purposes:

Asking permission
Praising/thanking/acknowledging
Requesting

The essential and biblical obligation is 3 daily prayers for men (at prescribed times) and 1 for women (at any point).

The idea of blessings is rabbinic except for 1 (possibly 2) blessings which are a Torah level obligation -- the grace after meals for bread and the blessings over the study of Torah.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
A few words about the Sh'ma.

The sh'ma is a central and essential prayer in Judaism...

...This unit of prayer (though, in times of extreme need, there are opinions which say one can fulfill some measure of the obligation to say it with only the first verse or the first verse and first paragraph) is required daily, twice (from the statement "when you lie down and when you wake up"). The normal fulfillment is through the placement of the sh'ma in the morning and evening prayers.
Quote:
The essential and biblical obligation is 3 daily prayers for men (at prescribed times) and 1 for women (at any point).
Thank you, Rabbi. The excerpts from your previous two posts have given me greater insight into how it may have come about for me to be reciting the sh'ma once in the evening before bedtime and then again the next morning upon waking up (and I recite only the first verse of the prayer during these times). It's the only formal Hebrew prayer that I recite out of habit outside of Shabbat services, and I often wear a gold sh'ma pendant that was given to me as a gift (again, with only the first verse of the prayer appearing in stylized Hebrew lettering on the pendant).

Old 02-17-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Thank you, Rabbi. The excerpts from your previous two posts have given me greater insight into how it may have come about for me to be reciting the sh'ma once in the evening before bedtime and then again the next morning upon waking up (and I recite only the first verse of the prayer during these times). It's the only formal Hebrew prayer that I recite out of habit outside of Shabbat services, and I often wear a gold sh'ma pendant that was given to me as a gift (again, with only the first verse of the prayer appearing in stylized Hebrew lettering on the pendant).
While the sh'ma is incorporated into the morning and evening prayers, its recitation is its own obligation -- "prayer" is usually defined by the saying the 18 Benedictions (which, on a weekday, has 19), also knows as the Amida service.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:55 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Thank you for this thread. It's very enlightening and an excellent educational resource.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism