Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 06:47 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times

Advertisements

OP i grew up in the NY suburbs during the 60's/70's half the kids at school observed Hanukkah the rest Christmas, no one cared. One of my favorite memories is watching my neighbors aluminum tree in the living room window change color and reflect on the snow. As we got older we would go sledding on Christmas because our friends were tied up with mandatory family time...

As we got older we might join them for midnight mass (a good show) and they would join us for events at the synagogue and in school there was always a Christmas Show and holiday party, no one cared about the reason. I'm glad I grew up when I did and we could be kids, have fun and not have to wade through a sea of lawsuits because someone feels their not getting equal billing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 06:53 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I had planned (when Shabbos ended) to have a meal out and then go to the movies to see Sing 2. But I found out that I had been exposed to someone with Covid on Friday.

I'm fine and I'm not required to quarantine because I'm fully vaccinated with a booster. But I stayed home anyway, just in case I might pass it along to someone else. In a few days I can get the rapid test to determine whether or not I'm carrying the virus. I'm most likely not carrying it.

So last night I watched WolfWalkers (2021 Academy Award nominated animated movie loosely based on medieval Irish legend) online (AppleTV), and enjoyed it immensely.
You needn't have worried. There were three people in a theater with a 276 person capacity. You could have distanced.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
OP i grew up in the NY suburbs during the 60's/70's half the kids at school observed Hanukkah the rest Christmas, no one cared. One of my favorite memories is watching my neighbors aluminum tree in the living room window change color and reflect on the snow. As we got older we would go sledding on Christmas because our friends were tied up with mandatory family time...

As we got older we might join them for midnight mass (a good show) and they would join us for events at the synagogue and in school there was always a Christmas Show and holiday party, no one cared about the reason. I'm glad I grew up when I did and we could be kids, have fun and not have to wade through a sea of lawsuits because someone feels their not getting equal billing...
Along those lines this was a joke email I received from a (non-Jewish) Canadian friend twelve years ago. He called me as soon as he sent out the email blast, thinking he had insulted me. I told him that frankly the joke was on non-Jews:

================================================== =====================

The Teacher, Ms. Jones, was very curious about how each of her students celebrated Christmas. She called on young Patrick Murphy.

"Tell me Patrick what do you do at Christmas Time?" she asked. Patrick addressed the class, "Well Ms. Ms. Jones, me and my twelve brothers and sisters go to the midnight Mass and we sing hymns, then we come home very late and we put mince pies by the back door and hang up our stockings. Then all excited we go to bed and wait for Father Christmas to come with all our toys." "Very nice Patrick," she said.

"Now Jimmy Brown what do you do at Christmas?" Ms. Jones asked. "Well Ms. Jones, me and my sister also go to Church with Mum and Dad and we sing Carols and we get home ever so late. We put biscuits and mince pies by the chimney and we hang up our stocking. We hardly sleep waiting for Santa Claus to bring our Presents, " Jimmy replied. "That's also very nice Jimmy," she said.

Realizing that there was a Jewish boy in the class and not wanting to leave him out of the discussion she asked Isaac Cohen the same question.

"Now Isaac Cohen, what do you do at Christmas?" she asked. Isaac said,"Well we also sing Carols!" Isaac responded. Surprised Mrs. Jones questioned further. "Tell us what you sing," Ms. Jones requested.

"Well it's the same thing every year, Dad comes home from the office. He opens the electric garage door, we all get in to the Rolls Royce, then we drive to his toy factory, we go inside and look at all the empty shelves and we all sing, 'Oh what a friend we have in Jesus.' Then we all go to the Bahamas.

Old 12-26-2021, 07:23 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Haha! As long as we're telling Christmas-themed Jewish jokes, here's a favorite from Aish.com:

The Christmas Tree

The Cohen family was on good terms with their Catholic neighbors, the O'Brian's. In fact, little Yainkele Cohen and Chris O'Brian from next door would play together from time to time. Or at least they used to.

Well, one late December's day, Tim O'Brian, the non-Jewish father, came storming in to the Cohen's house holding poor Yainkel by the ear. "Your son is not going near my Chris again; he just has no respect for us and our religion!"

"What's the matter; what did he do?" inquired Mr. Cohen.

"I'll tell you" said Tim in a rage. "He saw our Christmas tree and started making fun."

"He did?" said Mr. Cohen. "What did he say?"

"He saw our tree and started asking all sorts of ridiculous questions - which kinds of pine trees can be used for a Christmas tree? What's the minimum required height? How close to the window does it need to be? Do too many decorations render it unfit? What if it's under a neighbor's balcony?!"

(I like to think that Mr. O'Brian might have been flattered if he'd known that little Yainkele was asking him these questions as though he were the Catholic equivalent of a rabbi. )

Old 12-26-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:

(I like to think that Mr. O'Brian might have been flattered if he'd known that little Yainkele was asking him these questions as though he were the Catholic equivalent of a rabbi. )
Just great!

I'm surprised I came up with the one I did since I have a poor memory and that was from Christmas 2009.

Old 12-27-2021, 04:50 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Along those lines this was a joke email I received from a (non-Jewish) Canadian friend twelve years ago. He called me as soon as he sent out the email blast, thinking he had insulted me. I told him that frankly the joke was on non-Jews:

================================================== =====================

The Teacher, Ms. Jones, was very curious about how each of her students celebrated Christmas. She called on young Patrick Murphy.

"Tell me Patrick what do you do at Christmas Time?" she asked. Patrick addressed the class, "Well Ms. Ms. Jones, me and my twelve brothers and sisters go to the midnight Mass and we sing hymns, then we come home very late and we put mince pies by the back door and hang up our stockings. Then all excited we go to bed and wait for Father Christmas to come with all our toys." "Very nice Patrick," she said.

"Now Jimmy Brown what do you do at Christmas?" Ms. Jones asked. "Well Ms. Jones, me and my sister also go to Church with Mum and Dad and we sing Carols and we get home ever so late. We put biscuits and mince pies by the chimney and we hang up our stocking. We hardly sleep waiting for Santa Claus to bring our Presents, " Jimmy replied. "That's also very nice Jimmy," she said.

Realizing that there was a Jewish boy in the class and not wanting to leave him out of the discussion she asked Isaac Cohen the same question.

"Now Isaac Cohen, what do you do at Christmas?" she asked. Isaac said,"Well we also sing Carols!" Isaac responded. Surprised Mrs. Jones questioned further. "Tell us what you sing," Ms. Jones requested.

"Well it's the same thing every year, Dad comes home from the office. He opens the electric garage door, we all get in to the Rolls Royce, then we drive to his toy factory, we go inside and look at all the empty shelves and we all sing, 'Oh what a friend we have in Jesus.' Then we all go to the Bahamas.
Good one, reminds me of a joke my dad used to make when asked why he didn't accept Jesus, he would respond with "well to us he was a nice Jewish boy that went bad"....

Old 12-27-2021, 08:11 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
I had been wanting some real deli food (our city doesn't have any decent delis), so I ordered baked whitefish salad and chopped chicken livers from Goldbelly, which has everything you could ever possibly want to eat. That was my after-sundown "Christmas" feast (not at the same time, though). Now I have to go back on Noom, lol.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:00 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
You needn't have worried. There were three people in a theater with a 276 person capacity. You could have distanced.
The bar in the theater is always crowded, though, no matter what the day. I like to get a gin and tonic first and bring it to my seat. Having a buzz on is especially cool when watching animated movies.

Old 12-27-2021, 09:21 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
The bar in the theater is always crowded, though, no matter what the day. I like to get a gin and tonic first and bring it to my seat. Having a buzz on is especially cool when watching animated movies.
A woman after my own heart! What movie theater serves cocktails??

Old 12-27-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
A woman after my own heart! What movie theater serves cocktails??
Alamo Draft House, a chain, for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism