U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:18 PM

604 posts, read 983,042 times

Advertisements

Another case of circular argument, right?

A people writes an ethnocentric book which implies they are supposed to be the head of all nations, that claims their god is better and greater than everybody else's (eventually evolving to the idea their god is the ONLY god there is) topped off by the idea they are that god's special and chosen people and the rest of the world is just supposed to say, "oh, okay?"

Well, I'm God's other secret son he had with a Sumerian woman in 4364 B.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 08:22 PM

55,668 posts, read 74,655,684 times
"just because" covers a whole lota ground.
there is a sun and moon up there to sneer at too but that does not make them come down any lower. not to be disrespectful but its much easier for me to believe bible stories than the one you tell about being 6000 years old.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:23 PM

And to compound the nonsense, we have people today still perpetrating this myth? "Chosen people" my *bleep*!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:43 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,487,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
"just because" covers a whole lota ground.
there is a sun and moon up there to sneer at too but that does not make them come down any lower. not to be disrespectful but its much easier for me to believe bible stories than the one you tell about being 6000 years old.
Yes, talking donkeys are so much more believable than that.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Sorry that was off-topic. Deguire, good point there with the OP. So many things about the bible are ethnocentric, even anthropocentric like "man made in god's image".

Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry that was off-topic. Deguire, good point there with the OP. So many things about the bible are ethnocentric, even anthropocentric like "man made in god's image".
I apologize to the [sometimes] extremely sappy sensibilities and fragile egos on City Data for sounding like I blew a gasket there, but I did for a minute. All this talk about Israel being "God's people" as if to say it gives them carte blanche to do whatever the hell they want to do.

And then this gets to me:

"Well I do feel sorry for the Palestinians but Israel is God's chosen people so blah blah blah..."

Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,891,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
Another case of circular argument, right?

A people writes an ethnocentric book which implies they are supposed to be the head of all nations, that claims their god is better and greater than everybody else's (eventually evolving to the idea their god is the ONLY god there is) topped off by the idea they are that god's special and chosen people and the rest of the world is just supposed to say, "oh, okay?"

Well, I'm God's other secret son he had with a Sumerian woman in 4364 B.C.
The God of the Bible is the only God that speaks of the future in detail. All other religious books do not. So based on that alone, it appears the other Gods are not to smart. If the Bible was just a Book written by people, it's prophecies should of failed long ago. Yet, this is not the case.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM

3,412 posts, read 9,218,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
The God of the Bible is the only God that speaks of the future in detail. All other religious books do not. So based on that alone, it appears the other Gods are not to smart. If the Bible was just a Book written by people, it's prophecies should of failed long ago. Yet, this is not the case.
Campbell, don't even start with prophecies....

Old 01-06-2009, 11:54 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,891,971 times
Quote:
How about talking birds? Well does that sound more reasonable? Polly want a cracker. LOL

Old 01-06-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
So you do believe in the other, 'less smart' gods?

The bible was written by the same people that it claims are "god's chosen people." Who would be surprised?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or