Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 PM

841 posts, read 2,260,955 times

Advertisements

If so, I have a couple of question?

1) What sect: Orthodox, Conservative or Reform?
2) Did you learn Hebrew?
3) How long did it take?
4) Was it done for spiritual or cultural reasons? (I guess this question applies to reform?)
4) Any other comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 03:11 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_is_superior View Post
If so, I have a couple of question?

1) What sect: Orthodox, Conservative or Reform?
2) Did you learn Hebrew?
3) How long did it take?
4) Was it done for spiritual or cultural reasons? (I guess this question applies to reform?)
4) Any other comments?
Seeing as it's been 24 hours, and no one has answered, I'll offer some information even though I am a Jew by birth.

The only type of conversion that's recognized by the State of Israel for purposes of repatriation, and the one that most other communities in the world would recognize, is an Orthodox one. I am saying "an" Orthodox, because there is no uniformity among Orthodox communities, and there are many different movements within Orthodoxy itself. Some Orthodox communities will not make converts (because this is a tremendous responsibility), but will recognize conversions performed by other Orthodox communities. The only Orthodox group that absolutely rejects conversions is Syrian Jews. Under their doctrine, one can only be a Jew by birth, and conversions are forbidden and denied recognition. There are approximately 150,000 Syrian Jews worldwide, but not all of them belong to Syrian congregations. So we are talking about a small minority here. For the most part, though, if you have an Orthodox conversion, it's golden.

Do you need to learn Hebrew? You have to learn some liturgical Hebrew in order to follow along during prayers. This doesn't mean you have to become fluent in conversational Hebrew, but you have to be able to follow the prayers and the Scriptures and to have some idea of what is being said. This is probably the most difficult part of converting to Judaism.

How long does it take? After a rabbi agrees to mentor you, it takes at least a year, but usually 3-4 years, and sometimes longer. In preparation for conversion, you must spend at least a year living as an observant Jew, and to observe each holiday as a Jew at least once. When the rabbi feels you are ready, a Bet Din (a religious court consisting of 3 rabbis) will be called to examine your case. If the court rules that you have earned your conversion, then you undergo a mikveh ceremony in front of witnesses, and at that point, your conversion is complete. (In the case of males, you must also be circumcised. If you are already circumcised, then a ritual "mock" circumcision must be performed.) It's not unusual, however, for a Bet Din to deny conversion, and some candidates have to go before the court more than once.

Is it done for spiritual or cultural reasons?Cultural reasons are not legitimate ones as far as Orthodox Jews are concerned. Only spiritual reasons matter. Even belief in the doctrines of Judaism is not enough, since being Jewish is not a prerequisite for entering the World to Come (the Jewish equivalent of Heaven). You must show the desire to undertake the special burdens which come with being an observant Jew and you must demonstrate a valid basis for that desire.

Anything else? Actually getting some rabbi to mentor you and then recommend you to a Bet Din is a challenge, and it is the first hurdle that someone who wants to convert to Judaism must overcome. Under Orthodox traditions, a rabbi must turn away a potential convert 3 times. And by "turn away", I mean the rabbi will seriously try to dissuade you from converting, make the process sound hopelessly long and hard, and ultimately tell you to take a hike. Times three. Only if the convert comes back a fourth time can the rabbi agree to mentor him. Assuming, of course, that this rabbi mentors future converts at all -- which not many rabbis do.

Another thing: after a Gentile converts to Judaism, it is forbidden to mention the fact of the conversion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism