U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: I want the Judaism sub-forum to be added and I am...
...a Jew interested in disussions with other Jews 6 25.00%
...interested in posing non-confrontational questions to Jews and learning more about Judaism 18 75.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2009, 08:16 AM

4,083 posts, read 2,492,658 times
One of the most fascinating things I've found concerning Christianity is that the Jews wrote it and don't even believe it.

Jews wrote what and don't believe it. ?? I'm a bit confused wrote what?

If you are talking about the bible/Tanakh, we do.....
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 08:19 AM

4,083 posts, read 2,492,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Oh boy. While I think it would be informative to those who are respectful and serious about learning information and philosophy I'm afraid it would turn into a 'why did you kill Christ' and 'why do you kill Palestinians, why are you zionists' thread.

It would take monitoring several times a day.

lol well we can hope they all stay over in the Christian forum arguing among themselves about Christianity.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:29 AM

2,958 posts, read 909,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
lol well we can hope they all stay over in the Christian forum arguing among themselves about Christianity.
LOL...looks like you'll be disappointed about that one.

They evidently do not realize that the Jews wrote the new testament.

Wait...this thread is not to incite a debate.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:58 AM

6,472 posts, read 5,094,799 times
While I may not have anything to say in such a sub-forum, I think creating it is generally a good idea. So far, Christians and non-believers are the only two sub-forums. I think a section for Judaism and one for Other Religions would pretty well cover the city-data audience (a USA based, English-speaking site).

Old 10-30-2009, 09:37 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,392,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If you weren't interested in having the forum, then all you'd have to do is not vote, right?
Sure, but then how are the admin going to actually measure how many people are interested in/see a need for such a forum versus not interested/don't see a need.

If 300 people vote "yes we'd use it", that's great. Until you realize there might be 900 others who would've voted "No, we don't see a need for that." if you'd given them the option.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:55 AM

8,847 posts, read 6,875,000 times
Since I've been posting here I've wondered why there wasn't a Judaism sub-forum, an Islam sub-forum, etc. If there's a Christianity and an atheism sub-forum, I see no reason why there shouldn't be forums for those with other beliefs.

Last edited by linicx; 10-30-2009 at 10:18 PM..

Old 10-30-2009, 09:58 AM

19,023 posts, read 13,767,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
LOL...looks like you'll be disappointed about that one.

They evidently do not realize that the Jews wrote the new testament.

Wait...this thread is not to incite a debate.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:14 PM

971 posts, read 1,000,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
Sure, but then how are the admin going to actually measure how many people are interested in/see a need for such a forum versus not interested/don't see a need.

If 300 people vote "yes we'd use it", that's great. Until you realize there might be 900 others who would've voted "No, we don't see a need for that." if you'd given them the option.
Why would the admins care? All that matters is that many people are interested, enough to form an active community. It's not like people think R&P would become worse if there was a Judaism sub-forum, right?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:28 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,392,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
Why would the admins care? All that matters is that many people are interested, enough to form an active community. It's not like people think R&P would become worse if there was a Judaism sub-forum, right?
I didn't say R&P would be worse. I just said the poll is off because it's not going to give an accurate picture as to yes vs. no because no isn't an option.

Personally, I think City-Data has too many forums as it is and should consolidate some before adding any others. But hey.. I've only been administering my own forums and communities for the last few years. What would I know?

Old 10-30-2009, 10:19 PM

10,781 posts, read 14,516,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Since I've been posting here I've wondered why there wasn't a Judaism sub-forum, an Islam sub-forum, etc. If there's a Christianity and an atheism sub-forum, I see no reason why there shouldn't be forums for those with other beliefs.
Whether or not a sub-forums is created is determined by the interest generated. The number of sub-fourms listed under the Thread Title is determined by the [1] the Administrator and [2] the available server space. I would celebrate a Jewish forum. Afterall, the first 23 Jews came to the American Colonies from Recife Brasil in the mid-1600's and fought in the Revolutionary War. My acnestro came on the ship from the Recife. The refugees were given 24-hours to convert to a new religion or leave.

I have no problem with a forum for Others. The flipside is this. It is very unlikely the Admin will create a sub-forum for every new active religious group in America, anymore than he will create one in a foreign langage. There are groups I would not vote for at anytime for any reason. These are the folks who promote in-your-face tracts from their religous book. That behaviour is not what the C-D experience is about. One thing can be said about a Jewish forum. No one will quote all of Torah chapter and verse in one post. Tell your Rabbi's and your friends to join C-D and vote.

The Poll ends tomorrow night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism