Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I love the daily forward, have it bookmarked on my computer. Anyway I wasn't raised anything converted to Judaism so it is like I am on fire to learn everything I can....lol
I have a cousin (married in) who converted to Judaism too. That's wild to me - I can't imagine choosing religion if you never had one - or even switching religions if you already have a perfectly serviceable one. I don't mean that as an insult (to either of us) - it's just so far from my own mindset. However, I can relate to how energizing it can be to learn about something new. I'm glad you're happy with your choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 01:14 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I have a cousin (married in) who converted to Judaism too. That's wild to me - I can't imagine choosing religion if you never had one - or even switching religions if you already have a perfectly serviceable one. I don't mean that as an insult (to either of us) - it's just so far from my own mindset. However, I can relate to how energizing it can be to learn about something new. I'm glad you're happy with your choice!

Well I was raised in ethical monotheism. We did christmas and easter and never set foot in a church. My dad was a history professor and had a phd in early church history. He is a theologian so we talked about religion. I was not indoctrinated in one. I dabbled in different religions until I really figured out what I actually was in my heart and soul.

When I discovered Judaism it was like I had come home. My 2 kids became Jewish too.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:18 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
" It is a fairly old sect in comparison to Christianity, but considered young in the context of Judaism. "

Reform Judaism's roots are sometimes said to be in the work of Moses Mendelsohn, in the late 18th century. Some consider Reform to have actually begun with the founding of Reform synagogues in the early 19th century. It is therefore NOT old in comparison to Christianity, unless you are referring to something other than what we usually call Reform Judaism.

A more minor quibble, we don't generally call them "sects" In the USA they are called "movements" and in Israel the english word used is "trends" (not sure what Hebrew word is being translated as "trend") Sect implies things like formal differences in liturgy and ritual that really don't exist. Most differences are on certain philisophical issues - while there are BIG differences on liturgy and ritual between a typical Orthodox and a typical Reform synagogue, none of those are definitional (at least on the Reform side) A reform shul could CHOOSE to have liturgy very close to what an O shul would have.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:22 PM

"I gathered that Judaism in any generally accepted form excluded women from the rabbinate and even from studying the Torah. "

while Orthodox Judaism continues (despite some contoversy at the margin) to exclude Judaism from the rabbinate, a large section of Modern Orthodoxy allows women to study Talmud, and all forms of Judaism I am familiar with, including the most ultraorthodox, allow women to study the "written Torah" (ie the bible text and commentaries, but not legal works like the talmud)

Old 10-21-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Um, shouldn't everyone be doing this anyway? Why isn't this the focus of all religions?...it would make too much sense I guess.

Its a question of emphasis. Leo Baeck (one of reform Judaism's greatest thinkers) wrote a book on this subject. To summarize and simplify, the notion of "salvation by faith" is very alien to Judaism.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:28 PM

"As others said, according to the rest of Judaism, Messianic Jews aren't even considered Jews."

that is not quite correct. All the other forms of Judaism - reform, conservative, orthodox, karaite, etc agree that messianic "judaism" is not judaism, but a form of christianity. However someone who's mother was Jewish is a Jew . In this case an apostate Jew. But still a Jew.

To Orthodox, Conservative, and most Reform Jews, being a Jew is a matter of birth as well as of faith. You can convert TO Judaism, but a born Jew is always a Jew even if they convert to another religion. However most lay Jews tend to consider someone who has converted to another religion to be an ex-jew. However that view is not in accordance with Jewish law.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:35 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"As others said, according to the rest of Judaism, Messianic Jews aren't even considered Jews."

that is not quite correct. All the other forms of Judaism - reform, conservative, orthodox, karaite, etc agree that messianic "judaism" is not judaism, but a form of christianity. However someone who's mother was Jewish is a Jew . In this case an apostate Jew. But still a Jew.

To Orthodox, Conservative, and most Reform Jews, being a Jew is a matter of birth as well as of faith. You can convert TO Judaism, but a born Jew is always a Jew even if they convert to another religion. However most lay Jews tend to consider someone who has converted to another religion to be an ex-jew. However that view is not in accordance with Jewish law.
True - I should have said Messianic Judaism isn't considered to be Judaism. Ironic - I'm a secular Jew but got stuck in that other post thinking of Jew only in the religious sense

Old 10-22-2010, 08:47 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Is there a group out there like this that also believes in Jesus as Christ? I could get into that!
They're generally known as "Jews for Jesus." We see them all the time here in New York, and believe me, they're heavily into proselytizing.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:52 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
They're generally known as "Jews for Jesus." We see them all the time here in New York, and believe me, they're heavily into proselytizing.

We sometimes have problems with them coming to our shul for the Hebrew classes and handing out their religious info. in the parking lot. One class had to be canceled because it was all Jews for Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism