U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2010, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Reputation: 48613

Advertisements

We are, like you, not a couple with children at this point, but as an educator and one who will probably have children at some point, a community with excellent schools was important to me. Lee's Summit fits the bill well, unlike our former locations, which were in KCMO and Center School districts. Lee's Summit really does have great schools, despite the continuous carping from some camps that no schools on the Missouri side of the state line could possibly be any good, presumably because the KCMO school district (which doesn't even serve the entire city proper, let alone a larg chunk of the metro area) is so abysmal.

At any rate, schools weren't primary criteria, given that we're a. childless currently and b.unlikely to sell for quite some time. But it is nice to know that LS schools enjoy a wonderful reputation in case it does ever apply more directly to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2010, 07:34 AM
 
1,662 posts, read 3,908,651 times
Reputation: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Lee's Summit really does have great schools, despite the continuous carping from some camps that no schools on the Missouri side of the state line could possibly be any good, presumably because the KCMO school district (which doesn't even serve the entire city proper, let alone a larg chunk of the metro area) is so abysmal.
I've not seen anyone here make such claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Prairie Village, KS
472 posts, read 1,126,049 times
Reputation: 118
Quote:
My husband and I will be relocating to the Kansas City area this summer from New England. We'll be looking for an area that has somewhat of a small town feel (although it doesn't have to be a small town), with outdoor activities, shopping, and other things to do close by. We'll be looking outside of Kansas City and are considering Lee's Summit, Blue Springs and Overland Park.
Overland Park definitely does not have a small town feel. It has no sense of small-town community. I don't know about Lee's Summit. Blue Springs is awesome for a small-town community feel.

I'd also recommend Parkville for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Reputation: 5409
You can pull aside just about anybody that has spent some time on the MO side that has interaction with KS side residents and they will no doubt tell you that they have in fact experienced such claims.

Why would everybody just make that up. It's quite well known throughout the MO suburbs that the the schools and even areas they live in are generally thought of as a much lower rated schools and generally a lower class of suburbia.

I have sat through enough little league games to hear what people think and they don't just make things up.

Because most of it is due to pure ignorance more than people truly being "snobs", people tend to blow it off or try to correct people. I'm much louder about the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Reputation: 5409
Here you go. The last post on the Kansas forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vleno87 View Post
If you want to feel completely safe, move to Johnson county. Even in the nicer areas of MO, there is still more crime that seeps through, and your always in close proximity of some real ****ty areas. Not hating on Missouri side as I would rather live there. All I'm saying is that Johnson county= safe, potentially boring. KCMO= more happening, more crime
This is the kind of crap that people on the MO side will hear hundreds of times over and you may think nothing of it, but it really creates resentment.

Allow me to comment on this post.

Quote:
If you want to feel completely safe, move to Johnson county.
Really? Even though some of the JoCo suburbs has worse crime stats than areas of MO that people in JoCo think are total getto. Raytown and Grandview for example have similar if not better crime stats than places like Merriam, Roeland Park and Olathe.

The funny thing is everybody always groups the "MO Side" as one crime infested area while for some reason the "KS side" never includes KCK.

Quote:
Even in the nicer areas of MO, there is still more crime that seeps through, and your always in close proximity of some real ****ty areas.
Not sure what to say about this. Some of the nicest areas of JoCo are also near some "real ****ty areas" and most of the nicer areas of the MO side are just as far from the bad areas as places like OP are. Didn't know Tiffany Springs, Shoal Creek, Lee's Summit etc were near crappy areas.

Quote:
Not hating on Missouri side as I would rather live there.
typical dislaimer added, although many comments people will hear or read will have no such sympathy.

This is a very typical comment and again, people in JoCo will think nothing of this, even though those that would not say such a thing would never even notice if somebody else did. And if they did notice, they would not think anything of it. They don't see how insulting it really is to MO side people. Again, people don't make up reasons to resent joco. It has nothing to do with the civil war and everything to do with a total and complete lack of respect that so many in JoCo have for anything on the MO side. Little comments like this are the initial fuel the starts the fire.

I bring this up again because JoCo people still think I and others just make all this resentment up or they blame it on the civil war. Yet I have no issues with KCK even though I know people from KCK who have similar feelings about JoCo. Is that due to the civil war too?

Again, I blame ignorance. This person probably doesn't know the first thing about the MO side other than the Plaza area, a very vague image of the Downtown areas and some vague images of the areas around Worlds of Fun and the Sports Complex. That is typically the basic knowledge of the "MO Side" that a JoCo resident has, yet they make comments like this that really rub people the wrong way.

Do you guys understand this at all? Serious question.

Last edited by kcmo; 06-17-2010 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,758 posts, read 9,486,551 times
Reputation: 2791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
After looking quite extensively, we chose to stay in JoCo and opted for BV schools. I am still kicking myself that we didn't make that move sooner. The BV schools have been an incredible improvement. And our old school district was quite good! My kids were doing fine before, they are doing even better now.
I'm sorry but a school district can only be so good. Once you get into a good school district, is up to the students and parents to make the most of it. All the suburban school districts in KC are good. The difference between the suburban school districts in KC is minimal. If you really think the difference is that drastic that someone should commute farther every single day to their job, you really are doing a good job fooling yourself.

Once you are in a good school district, it is up to the kids and parents to make the most of it. If your kids are studying and doing what they need to do and you are supporting them, they are going to learn just as much as BV as they are in Lee's Summit or North Kansas City.

You say your kids are doing better. How are they doing better? Better grades? If anything, that would show the school district might be weaker because the work is not near as challenging.

The schools are going to vary from classroom to classroom as much as they are going to vary from district to district. You can be in the best school district there possibly is and get stuck with a ****ty teacher. You can be in one of the worst school districts and have a wonderful teacher.

I come from a family of teachers and have been around education my entire life. I plan to be a HS teacher later in life too. I would be comfortable with my kids going to just about any suburban school district in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 11:50 AM
 
Location: KC
385 posts, read 809,830 times
Reputation: 389
"Once you get into a good school district, is up to the students and parents to make the most of it. All the suburban school districts in KC are good..."

"You can be in one of the worst school districts and have a wonderful teacher.."

Totally agree.

As for KCMO,

Don't lump all of JOCO into this frame of mind. I would say almost everyone I know here in JOCO doesn't think the Missouri suburbs are sub par. A lot of these (including myself) are transplants so that may play a role, but even those I know that are born and raised here aren't to the extremes you say, if at all that way. I think more than anything if there are problems it's because of the people that have lived here their whole lives both on the KS and MO sides. The rest of us could care less about this petty stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 02:45 PM
 
1,662 posts, read 3,908,651 times
Reputation: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
All the suburban school districts in KC are good. The difference between the suburban school districts in KC is minimal.
A year ago, I would have agreed with you. Now I don't.

Quote:
You say your kids are doing better. How are they doing better? Better grades? If anything, that would show the school district might be weaker because the work is not near as challenging.
Their grades are the same. But I can tell a difference in how much they are retaining and in the depth of their understanding.

At the elementary level, I noticed that there was more variations in the curriculum and in teaching styles and resources available and it made a difference. IMO these can benefit students at all levels of ability and parental involvement.

Also, the odds of a ****ty teacher in BV or SM is lower than in some other districts. It just is. It's an advantage to a wealthier district, the jobs are more competitive.

I think I could send my kids to any suburban school district in the city and they would be just fine. I firmly believe they are doing better in BV. This is why when people ask for opinions about the best districts, I say which I think are best.

Regarding kcmo's latest rant, yeah, I do tend to think MO people waaaayyy overreact to the observations people make regarding JoCo and MO. No people shouldn't generalize where it's not relevant, but kcmo is one of the worst at this - worse than anyone I have ever met! His generalizations, exaggerations and outright lies regarding JoCo are worse than any "insult" I have ever heard made against MO.

So his whining doesn't really move me ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 03:31 PM
 
3,326 posts, read 7,522,007 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
A year ago, I would have agreed with you. Now I don't.
You're saying this based on your personal, first hand experience with all the districts including the likes of Lee's Summit, Liberty, and Park Hill? How well did your own children do in those?

Oh wait, you stated that you've only had experience with DeSoto and Blue Valley if I'm not mistaken. You tell other people to ignore KCMO for his bias. Shall we do the same for you?
Every time someone mentions schools, you bring up JoCo even if they say they want to live in Missouri. Is that somehow not biased? What about the people that move here from trendier areas? You assume they'd like JoCo more.
"Oh you're from California? You'll surely prefer Kansas" wink, wink. Nudge, nudge... The two of you backing each other up.

I think I'll start telling everyone to move to Independence because it is my bias. That should go over well. Seriously, it's kind of a nice town. I work in OP but see no reason to move there.

Last edited by northbound74; 06-17-2010 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Reputation: 5409
What I am saying is that people think of a small city in the plains of Kansas when they think of KC. They basically picture Wichita in their heads with exaggerated kansas stereotypes (flatter, browner etc than it really is). I'm not saying they know anything about Wichita because they probably think Wichita is more like Dodge City or something. It's all relative.

I have a photo of Downtown KC on my computer at work and every single person that sees it is shocked that the photo is KC and that KC has a "skyline". When they see the photo of KC, they start to ask questions about the city like how big it is etc because they never would have thought KC looked like it does.

People generally don't think KC is a big urban metropolitan area of over 2 million people set in the rolling forestesd hills and river valleys of western MO and Eastern KS with museums, skyscrapers and amuesment parks (I emphasize that it's in MO because that instantly changes their image from tornadoes and farms to something more green and appealing). I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings but it's true. But the fact is that nearly everthing that makes KC interesting is on the MO side, so why would you not emphasize that the city is primarily in MO. I will tell them that the KS side is built up , but is primarily suburban or industrial. The central city and the vast majority of the city's attractions and culture as well as over half the suburbs are on the MO side.

From what I can tell, most people go from never thinking about kc or at best thinking of a small uninteresting city in Kansas to a major and interesting city that they wouldn't mind visiting someday.

I could tell them about the perfect schools at 167th and Antioch or how fun it is to be a KU jayhawks fan, but I don't think they would be too impressed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top