U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:36 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,523,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I think the St Louis area needs to look at KC as a model for consolidation.
Yeah, we have some good traits, but I wouldn't look to KC as a model for much of anything in terms of urban planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,498,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Maybe there's differences overall, but when you're right there at the state line, there is little to no difference.
I drive visitors down State Line Road all the time, and while they think it's neat that Missouri is over here and Kansas is over there, no one ever comments on how different the two look. Sure, Westport looks nicer than KCK right there, and further down in spots, the houses on the Missouri side are older and bigger than the 50's ranchers of Prairie Village. Other than that, most people wouldn't know when they left MO and went into KS.
I was going to say the exact same thing, but figured it would start a flamewar or something, so I ignored it. People from StLouis seem to really like State Line Road in KC. They are used to that giant river separating their two states. We we drive back and forth across state line (ward parkway to mission hills etc), they have no idea which state is which, you have to keep telling them because don't notice the difference. To outsiders, it's all one continuous area of development.

Overall, there is huge difference. The MO side is where the "stuff" is. . I always told tourists or visitors if you are seeing an attraction, museum etc or are near or can see tall buildings (even buildings over 5 floors), chances are about 99% you are in Missouri. Otherwise people are always asking if they are in MO or KS in places like the Plaza, Crown Center etc.

One thing I have noticed is that the MO river confuses the crap out of visitors. If you fly into KCI, you land in MO, most people get that or figure it out pretty quick. But if they take 635 or 435 over the MO river, they cross into Kansas to go to Overland Park or something, yet if they take 29 across the river, they stay in Missouri. This is why people tend to have no idea which state they are once in the urban core, even though. Most people expect KCK is be much larger and KCMO to be much smaller. What they have to learn is that this a one urban city with one urban center. KCK is not a complimenting urban core like some towns have. People always try to make KC a "twin cities" when it's not. So I tell them. If it feels like you are in a major urban city, then you are on the MO side, if it feels like you are in a more suburban area, then you could be on either side once you get away from the center city.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:07 PM

400 posts, read 843,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Otherwise people are always asking if they are in MO or KS in places like the Plaza, Crown Center etc.

One thing I have noticed is that the MO river confuses the crap out of visitors. If you fly into KCI, you land in MO, most people get that or figure it out pretty quick. But if they take 635 or 435 over the MO river, they cross into Kansas to go to Overland Park or something, yet if they take 29 across the river, they stay in Missouri.
Pretty sad commentary on the lack of geographic education in this county. All they have to do is spend a few minutes studying a map to orient themselves in the metro area. The Kansas/Missouri border is not that confusing.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 PM

3,774 posts, read 3,329,442 times
I've only visited the KC area three times, but I enjoyed each visit and would like to return. I flew in to KCI once and drove in the other times. I was initally amazed at how the airport is located "out in the middle of nowhere", with farmland all around. (I say this, because as anyone familiar with St Louis knows, our airport is smack-dab in the middle of urban density.) Of course, that particular visit was several years ago, and I have to assume that the area around KCI has grown since.
My first visit, I stayed in western KCK. The second time, I stayed near downtown. The third time, I stayed in south KC. I found it interesting how the general character of each area was distinctly different from the others.
Looking at the downtown KC skyline from different vantage points was a treat. I also liked the many great fountains (of course!) Perhaps the most awesome thing I saw was Brush Creek-- so beautiful, especially after dark.
Before ever visiting KC, I used to study the area map, which is partly where my fascination with KC began. I have to admit, though-- while visting there, the "seemless two-state" thing managed to confuse even me! Here's what happened:
I was trying to locate a Shepler's Western Wear store that was supposed to be located at the intersection of I-435 and 87th. I drove to that very intersection (I think it was near Lexena), but there was no retail there. So I get out my map and study it some more. It was then that I realized the ugly truth: I'm in the wrong state. Yes, lo and behold, there's also a I-435/ 87th interchange in MO! Feeling stupid, I got back on the interstate, and eventually found my destination.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:05 AM

Recently released estimates of some of the KC area's larger cities:

Kansas City, MO 488,259
Overland Park, KS 178,318
Kansas City, KS 143,405
Olathe, KS 125,995
Independence, MO 121,973
Lawrence, KS 93,714
Lee's Summit, MO 90,133
Shawnee, KS 63,389
Blue Springs, MO 56,786
Lenexa, KS 49,704

Kansas City Metropolitan Area 2,104,503 (not including Lawrence)

Old 11-23-2010, 09:36 AM

15,294 posts, read 7,149,937 times
I thought Independence would be higher than it is.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I thought Independence would be higher than it is.
Really? Because I'm not sure I think it's that high, unless the west and north sides of the city have stabilized, which is possible.

If Indy had a net gain of 10,000 residents in the past ten years, I would call that very good.

It looks like Lee's Summit will pass Independence soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City