Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:06 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,701,460 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure I understand the whole "sporting" thing. How do you root for the Sporting? Kinda weird.

But for some reason I like it. I like the logo anyway. From the day the team was named the WIZ, I hated the name and even though the name Wizards has grown on me, I still think it's a dumb name, very minor leaguish. Although I do like the Wizard's colors and jerseys.

It's cool to see the new stadium will have a brand new logo and theme. I think it will take the team's image up a notch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 10:40 AM

5,888 posts, read 12,940,023 times
when you see headlines like Galaxy takes the Wiz, its easy to understand the name change. "Sporting" is kind of cool. Not sure about the colors though

Old 11-15-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
when you see headlines like Galaxy takes the Wiz, its easy to understand the name change. "Sporting" is kind of cool. Not sure about the colors though
Yea, I like this one much better. Much more classy. None of this is official, so these graphics may be premature.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:59 AM

91 posts, read 211,659 times
"Sporting" is used by many European, mostly Portuguese and Spanish, clubs as part of their official names.

Sporting Clube de Portugal is just one example.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:34 PM

39 posts, read 36,372 times
"I think some people might think that maybe we're just taking a different name to try to sound European, but that's really not the case," Dave Borchardt of the team's communications department says.

What the name change marks, Borchardt says, is the ownership group (which will change its name from OnGoal to Sporting Club to be equally vague) trying to create a promotable brand and possibly add more sports teams to its holdings.

"Our ownership group, they feel like this brand has more potential to be a regional draw and a national draw and even an international draw to some extent. And I think they feel like it has a better chance to be a strong brand like that more than the Wizards," Borchardt says.

With a lengthy name and no mascot or nickname, though, Sporting Kansas City is too brand-y. And who wants to cheer for a brand? It sounds like a corporate entity. Screaming "Go Sporting Kansas City!" isn't nearly as satisfying as screaming "Go Chiefs!" or "Go Royals!" Try it right now.

Even referring to Sporting Kansas City is going to be tricky. The team sheepishly admits it's unsure what fans will call it. "Manchester City, [fans] just call them City. Maybe they just call us Kansas City or Sporting. People will make it their own, and we'll see what nicknames will come," Borchardt says.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:44 PM

^ so are you saying you like the name or not?

The Wizards is a stupid name that has nothing to do with Kansas City. It doesn't even have anything to do with Kansas other than the wizard of oz.

But this new name is very odd. I don't know what to think of it.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:08 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,299,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

The Wizards is a stupid name that has nothing to do with Kansas City. It doesn't even have anything to do with Kansas other than the wizard of oz.

I think it's an odd choice, too. My husband is from Scotland and there is a LOT of Fox Soccer Channel watched in this house. I couldn't understand what the name was all about, and he thought it was silly. Maybe they should call the team KC United or Real KC. Joke. That was a joke.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:07 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,940,023 times
While I do like "Sporting" (which will most likely be truncated to "The Sports _Think the NY Metropolitans [Mets]), I do think MLS clubs should stay away from Euro-style branding.

Toronto FC
DC United
Real Salt Lake
Houston Dynamo
FC Dallas
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
Seattle Sounders FC

Chivas USA is an odd one since it is a satellite team of Chivas Club Deportivo Guadalajara.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:22 PM

398 posts, read 987,570 times
I have to disagree with this new name. I liked Kansas City Wizards.

99% chance that these guys end up being called the "sports". Like what you call a little kid.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:35 AM

91 posts, read 211,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

I'm just saying it's not really that odd. I don't particularly like it but it's better than the Wizards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: