U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:48 AM

453 posts, read 148,719 times

Advertisements

If KC is like Buffalo, is it bone-chilling cold there during the winter time where it gets covered with three feet of snow, and the wind chill feels like razor blades? One of the reasons why I didn't like living on the East Coast was because of those harsh Nor'easters. You have to understand I'm from Texas, so long cold winters isn't something I'm accustomed to. I half-expect it to be cold in Kansas City, but not unbearably cold.

That's cool that they have Chicago-style pizza. What about New York-style? That's actually my favorite because I live the thin crust that you can fold. That's one of the things I do miss about the East Coast. The pizza and Italian food there was incredible. Meanwhile, the Mexican food there was abysmal compared to what I'm accustomed to. Speaking of which, is the Mexican cuisine in Kansas City good enough to impress this Texan? I'm also a big fan of Indian and French food. I guess you can say I'm quite the gourmand when it comes to exotic foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 01:34 AM

3,328 posts, read 4,999,804 times
People from the north think otherwise, but southerners agree that KC is very capable of getting cold.
Yes, wind chills can be biting, but there's almost never more than a foot of snow on the ground at any one time. The snow melts completely several times throughout the winter. 20" is the average snow fall for an entire winter.
There will be spells where the temps don't really get above freezing for a month or two. Usually the below 10 stuff only lasts for a week or so, and below 0 doesn't happen every year, but last winter we got down to -6 or so one day.
You will notice that spring, winter and fall are very distinct seasons here, as is summer, of course. Growing up in the south, I remember the three cooler seasons running together with maybe a little winterish weather for 2-4 weeks. Certainly not the case in KC.
Summers can be hot, but are shorter and are also known for having a break in the heat from time to time... which was a pleasant change for me coming from Little Rock's relentless 6 months of heat.

I'm no pizza expert, so someone else might clue you in on New York style pizza.
As for Mexican food, there are a ton of Mexican places in every part of the metro. Some good, some not so good.
I like Teocali on Holmes really well. Two Amigos on 75th in JoCo is really authentic if not a bit fast-foody. Southwest Boulevard is lined with Mexican restaurants, but is surprisingly hit-and-miss being in one of the heavily Hispanic parts of town.

Here's a thread:
Best Mexican Restaurant in KC

And one for Italian:
Italian restaurants in Kansas City?

Last edited by northbound74; 07-18-2010 at 01:43 AM..

Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 PM

7,757 posts, read 9,534,092 times
KC has great food. It really does.

The mexican food in KC will is right there with south texas IMO.

KC has some great pizza. Minsky's is awesome and it's sort of KC's pizza.

But if you want NY Style, then Da Bronx on W 39th Street (near KU Med on state line) and Crown Center Shops is very good.

There are some great Italian places in KC (Lidia's, Garozzo's Cascone's, Jasper's, Anthony's etc), but you also have to get down to St Louis and hit the Hill area for soem serious Italian crusine.

I think Liberty has a great place, but I'm not sure it's quite as good as it is in Chicago.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:28 AM

That's awesome! At least there's a wide variety of food there. What about Indian and French restaurants? Are there any good reputable ones in the Kansas City area?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:31 AM

6,040 posts, read 5,180,439 times
My only complaint with KC and maybe this part of the Midwest is its major cities are kinda on islands. I look at my city as my "House" and if I want to go out side ,KC is long drive from every where. Its particularly vexing as you get older and you seem to have more money and more time to get away. I spent a lot of time driving up and down highway 5(can't believe there's a town called weed) Seattle, Portland,Tacoma ,Eugene, and on down the coast , I wouldn't trade it for KC unless you have to travel like I did and being in the middle of the Country gets you home in two days driving.

Lets face it nobody would come to Kansas or Missouri who was looking for Liberalism. You'll be on an island there too, You'll have Westport, Mo. and Lawrence, Ks. and that's about it . But having grown up in Kansas I could care less who a person votes for. There's not enough people in this part of the world to limit your friends and associations based on such a nebulous prerequisite.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:37 AM

17,840 posts, read 15,309,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
That's awesome! At least there's a wide variety of food there. What about Indian and French restaurants? Are there any good reputable ones in the Kansas City area?
There's a small, hole in the wall French place near River Market called Le Fou Frog that reviews quite well, a place called Aixois off Brookside Boulevard, and probably others, but I'm not a big French restaurant person, so I can't really say beyond that. Several decent Indian joints, as well, which I do frequent. There might not be a million representations of a given food of a given ethnicity, but there are quite a few ethnic dining ops, given the comparatively un-diverse population base in comparison to coastal cities.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:20 AM

Here's one thing I've been meaning to ask about Kansas City. Does it have a big problem with gangs? I know that sounds like a rhetorical question as every major city has them, but are they as bad as other cities? That's one of main reasons I'll never move back to Houston. The one half of my hometown that isn't Bibleland is Gangland. There are over 300 gangs in the Greater Houston Area. Many of them moved in from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina which makes me wonder why the hell we even bothered lifting a hand. I'm not going to live somewhere where I have to wear a bulletproof vest, install burglar bars on my house, or pull the distributor cap off my car whenever I park it.

Last edited by daugenstine; 07-22-2010 at 02:54 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 07:25 AM

17,840 posts, read 15,309,885 times
I've spent a lot of time in urban youth and family outreach, but not since moving to KC, and gang affiliation was never my specific area of expertise, anyway. I'm not sure about any specifics of gang affiliation, but there is a significant drug trade in the poorer parts of town, just as with any highly populous area, and where there is drug trade, generally speaking, there are gangs. Thug violence is definitely something that exists in KC. My perception is that it rarely directly affects people not directly involved with that culture, however. Every time there is an "innocent bystander" type situation, it will obviously get splashed all over every media outlet, but in general, I have to imagine that, like elsewhere, you are most at risk for this type of violence if this culture is something you participate in or surround yourself with.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 PM

I understand that Kansas City is at least 1,000 miles from the ocean which I can live with. However, I was wondering if there are at least some good lakes there where people can go. Is there at least what I call an "inland beach" in the greater area. Also, do they have lots of those severe thunderstorms like they do other places in the Midwest? I love thunderstorms.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:41 PM

6,040 posts, read 5,180,439 times
right off hand I can think of ; Lake Jacomo, Lake of the Ozarks, Wyandotte county lake, smithville, weatherby, Lake waukomis ,and Clinton lake. (forgive me if the spelling is off). These are all popular lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City