U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:53 PM

453 posts, read 148,719 times

Advertisements

Thanks! What about coffee shops? One thing I will really miss about Austin when I move away one day is the trendy coffee shops that serve mocha lattes, biscotti, and whatnot. Do they have many of those in Kansas City? And are they off the beaten path?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 07:03 PM

17,837 posts, read 15,309,885 times
I think the lake scene in Mo is pretty paltry, to be honest, but that's more because I grew up with the Great Lakes. Count me among those who don't find Lake of the Ozarks to be anything special, but I'm clearly in the minority, especially for my age group, who are of the "get drunk and party at the lake" demographic.

There are loads of coffee shops, just as in any urban area. Some are great, some are nothing special, but they're all over.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:30 PM

7,757 posts, read 9,534,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think the lake scene in Mo is pretty paltry, to be honest, but that's more because I grew up with the Great Lakes. Count me among those who don't find Lake of the Ozarks to be anything special, but I'm clearly in the minority, especially for my age group, who are of the "get drunk and party at the lake" demographic.

There are loads of coffee shops, just as in any urban area. Some are great, some are nothing special, but they're all over.
haha, I agree. Never really got into the MO Lake scene, but many in KC do.

We now go to Ocean City, Virginia Beach etc on weekends. Kind of makes those lakes in MO seem pretty insignificant.

But at least MO does have that recreational option along with river rafting, caves and other outdoors or nature type stuff. Plus it's fun just to go down to the ozarks and do the touristy stuff with the kids, get a room at a resort hotel, rent a boat etc. The state has more to do in between its big cities, nature/lake areas and branson than most states between the coasts.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:04 PM

I just read on Yahoo News that Kansas City ranked in the top ten for best cities in America for young adults. I never would've expected that.

Kiplinger lists their 10 Great Cities for Young Adults - NBCActionNews.com

Has it been ascertained when they're going to finish building the new plaza downtown?

Old 08-07-2010, 02:15 AM

17 posts, read 33,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
That's awesome! At least there's a wide variety of food there. What about Indian and French restaurants? Are there any good reputable ones in the Kansas City area?
For Indian cuisine, Ruchi off College and Antioch is amazing. Swagat is another excellent Indian restaurant in North KC.
Aixois is a casual French restaurant and coffee bar that is definitely worth trying. In Brookside off 55th and Brookside Boulevard.

I frequent Broadway Cafe for coffee very regularly and the atmosphere makes it what it is. Very cosmopolitan and laid back. However a bit hipster-esc.. Yet you'll experience a bit of that in most of the city core.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:22 PM

What about New Age culture? How prominent is New Age culture in Kansas City? Is it a big thing like it is on the West Coast, or is it more off the beaten path? Would it be frowned upon if I lived in Kansas City and owned a lava lamp, practiced feng shui, and burned incense? When I lived back in Virginia and in the outskirts of Houston, several biblethumpers tried telling me that was unholy and didn't fit into their perfect little box. Especially in Virginia, they didn't like anyone who wasn't a perfect little Christian from a Leave-it-to-Beaver type family.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:49 AM

17,837 posts, read 15,309,885 times
Not huge. It's a presence, like in most populous areas, but by far, the religious institutions that you'll see in the KC metro are more on the mainline, the traditional, and, to an extent, the charismatic end of things.

But you can come to KC, do yoga, burn incense, practice tai chi in the park, and find others who are like minded. You will also find bible thumpers who will tell you your life is unholy. And then you'll find the majority, people who don't care one way or another what you do or believe. People and their beliefs are all over the spectrum, here (I had an acquaintance who curses like a sailor tell me the other night over beers that she wouldn't have her palm read because it conflicts with her Christian values), but traditional Christian church is a mainstay.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:34 PM

3,328 posts, read 4,999,804 times
Kansas City might best be described as being on the outer stitching of the Bible Belt. There are plenty of the more southern-style evangelical churches here, but there is a lot of the more liberal mainline types as well. Other religious beliefs are fairly prominent. I moved here from Arkansas and KC seems a bit more liberal towards religion than what I was used to.

Speaking of Indian restaurants, there's a place in Independence called Taj Mahal (I think it's still there), next to the AMC theater and the hospital on 39th. Not my kind of food, but it seemed really good if that's your thing.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,756 times
In response to your question about pizza, I haven't seen anyone mention Grinders on 18th in the Crossroads--they do the New York-style pizza, thin and large enough to fold in half. I've only been to New York a couple times but I think it stands up pretty well. D'Bronx on 39th and in Crown Center is also great. The Dish in Liberty, as others have mentioned, is amazing Chicago-style deep dish pizza. Waldo Pizza is delicious--they have what is apparently St. Louis-style pizza, with an unusual kind of cheese, Swiss I think? Minsky's is good too and has locations all over Kansas City. Oh, and Joe's Pizza in Westport is one of my favorites.

I don't know how our Mexican food or barbecue compares to Texas, but I love it. Barbecue places I would recommend are Arthur Bryant's, Gates, Oklahoma Joes, and L.C's (on Blue Parkway/350 a bit southeast of the Plaza). My parents who live in Raytown love Fiesta Azteca, and I would recommend it for Mexican, though only if you're out in the area (it's about 20 minutes east of the Plaza, and there aren't many other reasons you would want to visit Raytown, unfortunately). As others have mentioned, public transportation in KC is a pretty big fail, as is walkability. That's why I would recommend living in midtown, so you're within a reasonable driving distance of most places you would want to go (and walking distance of some great areas).

Indian food: I would recommend Korma Sutra in Westport. There's also an Indian place on 39th I've heard is good. In fact, 39th St between State Line and Southwest Trafficway/Summit is a great row of restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and stores: Fric N Frac, Po's Dumpling Bar, Blue Koi, D'Bronx, Javanaut, Jerusalem Cafe, Aladdin Cafe, Saigon 39, Prospero's Books, Donna's Dress Shop, etc. I live in the area and would highly recommend looking in the 39th st/West Plaza area (pretty much from 39th st down to Ward Parkway, between State Line and Summit/Belleview), whether you're looking to rent or buy. Or just west of State Line between those same cross streets. It's very close to Westport and the Plaza but more residential, so I think it attracts less crime (don't live right next to the Plaza for that reason--I've heard of too many muggings and robberies); but it's still cheap and has beautiful old houses/apartments, mixed in with some weird modern ones. People in this area are friendly and mostly liberal, from what I can tell. You asked about New Age culture; there's a store on 43rd called Temple Slug that sells incense, Buddhist figurines, etc, and a lot of people around here like to smoke hookah at the Jerusalem Cafe (two locations). I can't really speak on the dating scene; people do tend to marry early here, but midtown is where you'll meet the most singles. One caveat is that while people here are friendly, they don't tend to break out of their own groups very much to get to know new people, which is a problem since so many people around here grew up here and already have friends; but again, I think it is easier to meet new people in midtown. My roommate and I have lived south of KU Med since last October (I grew up in Raytown and went to school in Liberty, so this was the first I lived in the city itself), and once we made the effort to start meeting our neighbors, found them to be very open to getting to know new people.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that Kansas City has a GREAT local music scene. Get the Pitch and look in their events section to find local bars and music venues to check out (same for restaurants).

Good jobs here seem to be pretty hard to come by, which is why I'm looking to move somewhere else for now--I also want to spend some time in a bit larger city with better public transportation and a bit faster pace of life. If you have family here, though, and don't mind the lack of public transportation and a smaller city in exchange for a close-knit feel (once you start making friends here you'll see people you know EVERYWHERE), I would definitely recommend it.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,756 times
Also, two great off-the-beaten path coffee shops: Hi-Hat at 50th (or 51st?) and State Line Road, and Eddie Delahunt's, an Irish-themed coffee shop on 45th a block east of State Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City