Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,790,537 times

Advertisements

Would love to hear suggestions and feedback on good and bad apartment complexes in JoCo and Olathe. I've checked out the reviews online, but would like to supplement that research with any data from current or former tenants. There seem to be lots of complexes to choose from, but my concerns are probably the same as everyone else's: safety, cleanliness, reasonable rent and reasonable office management. Not looking for perfection (doesn't exist) but would like a good place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 10:10 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,131,659 times
I'm not a current or former tenant, but have done a lot of research for/with my daughter and I have heard good things about Bella Palazzo and I really like all the AMLI properties.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:50 AM

12 posts, read 23,713 times
I was just in KC last weekend apartment hunting and one of the places I checked out was AMLI Clear Creek. They were extremely nice but just not what I was looking for. The buildings look to be of newer construction and rent was really reasonable for this kind of quality in this area (the unit I looked at was $699 for a 1 bedroom). They have an awesome lounge in the main building with big screen TV's, a bar and shuffleboard table. There is a large pool as well. One thing I really liked is that they offer private garage parking for an additional monthly fee (I don't remember how much the leasing agent told it was though).

They offer 3 different types of finishes in the apartments; the one I looked at was the "Metropolitan" and had dark cherry cabinets and polished concrete floors (very urban looking for JoCo). The other finishes have carpeting and I think they are less expensive than the unit I looked at (don't quote me on that because I'm not 100% sure).

Old 03-10-2011, 04:42 PM

20 posts, read 55,973 times
AMLI seems to be a pretty good landlord that keeps things up well and handles situations promptly from what I hear. They own a ton of places all over JoCo.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,783,869 times
As far as "bad" complexes.....steer clear of those within a mile of the I-35 corridor. Stay away from those immediately W. of old downtown Olathe. Stay away from those near 75th & Quivera. Stay away from those in the immediate area of Shawnee Mission North High School (W. of Metcalf & N. of SM Parkway x 3-4 blocks).

Old 03-11-2011, 09:43 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,301,773 times
Wow. I just looked at the AMLI website. Considering the cost of homeowners insurance, repairs and maintenance of our home, renting is beggining to look very attractive! I mean, it's not as though homeownership is a great investment these days, at least not according to our latest assessment.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,480,572 times
Just a word of advice -- a lot of the JoCo properties advertise great move-in rates, especially if you sgn a long lease, but once your intro rate is over -- watch out! A friend lives in a complex in southern JoCo -- I'm actually pretty sure it's an AMLI -- and she signed a 18-month lease at $725 but to renew it will cost her over $900 a month.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 PM

3,483 posts, read 8,958,213 times
My wife lived in "The Falls" for a couple years while she was teaching. She was on a pretty limited budget making only 30k/yr and paying off $60k/student loans + $200/mo car...I think rent was in the 550/range for her 600sf studio. The complex was mediocre at best, and the clientele was the basic problem (somewhat W/T). However, of the places we looked at in her price range, they were the best, and seemed to be the "safest". Secured entry, plus they had sand volleyball courts, a pool, hot tub, BBQ pits, wifi, business center, coffee/cookie bar area, etc....All in all, it wasn't that bad. Plus super quick access to I-35 (it's right off lamar) made quick order of getting back into the city.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:56 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,131,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Wow. I just looked at the AMLI website. Considering the cost of homeowners insurance, repairs and maintenance of our home, renting is beggining to look very attractive! I mean, it's not as though homeownership is a great investment these days, at least not according to our latest assessment.
I know! I think about that all the time - insurance, repairs/maintenance, remodeling, and property tax. Sometimes I think I'd rather just rent.

I know of a couple of AMLI complexes, though, that sold the last couple of years. My daughter lived in the AMLI complex at 119th and Quivira. It was fine when it was owned by AMLI, but then they sold to another company and she was told her rent would increase when her lease was up, plus she thought the fitness center wasn't as well maintained and response to maintenance requests not as good once AMLI no longer owned it.

And I think the complex at 119th and Roe, Enclave at Town Center, used to be AMLI and they sold to another company. Have heard that it has gone downhill since changing hands.

But the ones that are AMLI I think are great. They are all newer properties and seem to be well maintained.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:55 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,790,537 times
I appreciate the responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City