Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,727 times

Advertisements

I hear so many times in this forum that KC is no place for people who enjoy an active lifestyle.

I've been eyeing the area in Lee's Summit just west of Longview for a few months to respond to these naysayers and now I think I have a good response.

This area is PERFECT for people relocating to KC or in KC already who want to live an active life without driving a car to work out. First there are wonderful bike trails around Longview Lake. Then there is the lake itself with boating, fishing, and a beach open all summer for those who may want to swim.

The elementary school that serves that area is one of the top in the state and the middle schools and high schools in Lee's Summit are top notch. They've widened the roads recently and added large sidewalks that are great for jogging, walking or bike riding.

There is a newer shopping district in walking or biking distance for most neighborhoods in the area with a couple resturants, CVS and a few other little shops/ offices.

And probably most important to most is it's location, you are close to the Grandview triangle to so you can get to downtown in 20 minutes and Overland Park in 12 minutes. And you can avoid major traffic with many back ways to get everywhere.

Now everyone else chime in......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 12:44 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
New Longview is one of the best suburban developments around. Lakewood is another area good for active lifestyles.
All of eastern Jackson County benefits from the lakes. Eastern Independence has the popular 13+ mile trail along the Little Blue that's soon to be connected to Waterfall Park by Bass Pro.
Sorry, had to plug Indy there.
Anyway's Lee's Summit is on a role, and for those who like the suburban lifestyle, it's as good as it gets in KC.... which is not to say that there aren't other burbs just as good.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:37 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
All I know is Lee's Summit is one of the best suburbs I have seen anyplace and there is nothing even remotely close to as nice as LS in the Balt/DC area. The Lakes, the parks, the trails, the schools, the community spirit, the downtown district, the diversity of housing options from new urbanism to more traditional suburban housing all wrapped into one community. LS has also become quite diverse over the past ten years (as the 2010 census will show), especially for metro KC, yet has been able to maintain its status as a top suburban area to live. I also think that people in LS don't hate on KCMO nearly as much as other areas of the metro. Maybe because so many are from KCMO or it's in Jackson County, but the area has their own community spirit while also respecting the "city". At least that's what I have seen from the many people I have met there.

LS is sort of the gateway to the MO Lakes so it's interesting the their are so many lakes in the area. Downtown LS is one of the best things in metro KC and Downtown Days is pretty cool. Lakefest and fireworks at Blue Springs Lake and Lake Jakomo and the Longview Christmas Lights are nice local annual traditions.

By the way, the Little Blue River bike trail which goes from near the MO river to the Indep Mall area is being extended to lakewood in LS now and it is supposed to connect to the trails in Longview in the next phase.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:00 PM

398 posts, read 993,812 times
The drawback is you have to live in a town reportedly named after Robert E. Lee.

Count me out.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:42 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
^spoken like a southerner who can't put the Civil War behind.

I think nearly everyone who lives there is past that and couldn't care less.

Last edited by northbound74; 07-26-2010 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
LS has also become quite diverse over the past ten years (as the 2010 census will show), especially for metro KC
I have nothing against Lee's Summit (except for the name honoring a Confederate General), but I think this statement about diversity in Lee's Summit is overstated.

I checked the Census data both from the 2000 Census and the 2006-2008 American Community Survey, and found that Lee's Summit was not any more diverse than Olathe or Overland Park.

In 2000, Lee's Summit was 93.2% white, 3.5% black, 1.0% Asian, 2.0% Hispanic.

Olathe was 88.6% white, 3.7% black, 2.7% Asian, 5.4% Hispanic.

Overland Park was 90.6% white, 2.5% black, 3.8% Asian, 3.8% Hispanic.

Olathe and Overland Park, derided by many as "lily white" communities, were more diverse than Lee's Summit in 2000.

The 2006-2008 American Community Survey data shows that all three cities were becoming less white, but Lee's Summit was still not any more diverse than Olathe or Overland Park.

In 2006-2008, Lee's Summit was estimated to be 87.2% white, 7.6% black, 1.8% Asian.

Olathe was 84.9% white, 5.5% black, 3.7% Asian.

Overland Park was 87.2% white, 3.1% black, 5.5% Asian.

The Hispanic numbers are not available for any of the three cities, but it is safe to assume that the Hispanic population is still larger in Olathe and Overland Park than Lee's Summit, as it was in 2000.

So there you go. Olathe and Overland Park have more Asians and Hispanics than Lee's Summit. Lee's Summit has a slightly larger percentage of blacks, but still way below the national average and way, way below KCMO or KCK. Lee's Summit is really not more diverse than other major cities in the metro.

All numbers from Census.gov.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
The drawback is you have to live in a town reportedly named after Robert E. Lee.

Count me out.
The only people that even bring up the civil war are Kansans as they for some reason can't let go of that. Part of the whole Lawrence and KU thing I guess. One of the few things that makes them feel good about themselves.

I find it odd how Kansas, one of the most segregated states in the country (I mean look at WyCo and JoCo next to each other!) can even talk smack about about any other state when it comes to the issues of racial segregation and freedom. They certainly didn't practice what they preached if you know the history of the KS side of metro KC.

And how LS was named seems to be somewhat of a mystery. Most say it was actually after somebody named Lea, but the name got mixed up and some people assumed it was general lee (again, mostly people talking smack or pro southerners). Most just don't care how or why a town of nearly 100,000 people got its name back when it was 200 people.

Considering it's the suburb of choice for middle and upper middle class African American families (as well as white families), I don't think it really matters today .

Last edited by kcmo; 07-26-2010 at 04:12 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 04:10 PM

I beg to differ freestater, we can debate this when the 2010 census comes out.

Till then, let's not ruin this thread. Myself included.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:56 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I beg to differ freestater, we can debate this when the 2010 census comes out.

Till then, let's not ruin this thread. Myself included.
Thanks KCMO. The point is that it is diverse, not that it is more or less diverse than any other part of the city and that is a great thing and a deciding factor for me and many others in their relocation decision.

Freestater, why don't you write up a post as to why and which people would love Olathe/ Overland Park instead of making negative comments on this post. The point is to give people good data on KC so they might consider the general metro a good fit for them and/or thier family. No offense meant, just trying to keep things positive.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:33 PM

I respect keeping things positive, but that's no reason to whitewash history. If the town is named after Robert E. Lee, that's nothing to be proud of. If it's named after a farmer named Lea, change the name to Lea's Summit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City