Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM

8 posts, read 15,592 times

Advertisements

Why does it seem that every apartment/loft in Downtown/Rivermarket has an income restriction attached? I'm moving to Kansas City within the next 10 days and I am trying to snag an apartment. However, it seems like everything nice under $750 has a $28-31K per year income cap. Why is that? In the few major cities I've lived in, I've never seen this. Sure, we have HUD/Section 8/Voucher systems but I've never seen such a high prevalence, especially not in the downtown/financial/business districts.

"Affordable"/ "Low Income"
Pacific House
Courthouse Lofts
Graphic Arts Building
Professional Building
Grand Boulevard Lofts
Chamber Lofts
Lofts @ 917
The Landings at River Market

Please don't construe this as me being against quality, affordable housing. After all, I'm a recent grad who will be making some $$$ but nothing to run and tell mom about (read: less that 50k, more than 35k) That being said, if you have any additional suggestions of lofts/apartments or leasing agents, please send them forward. My new budget is around $950ish I suppose. I'll be working near the Charles B Wheeler Downtown Airport.

I know the cost of living in KC is supposed to be lower, but it seems like food is pretty much the same (I shopped at Cosentino's during my visit.)

But basically I'm stressed and confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 07:56 PM

709 posts, read 1,491,947 times
The reasons these affordable units exist is due to the tax credits the developers received. These are all newer developments, and when they were built, the developers received incentives to set aside a portion or the units as affordable housing, in addition to the market rate units.

Rental rates in Downtown and the River Market are among the highest in the city, so unfortunately, there are not many good options below $750. I think these affordable units are more plentiful because there is a fairly small target demographic, so it seems the vacancy rate is higher than the market rate units (which have very low vacancy).

There are a number of ways the cost of living in KC is lower than other cities, but the price of groceries is not one of the main differences - especially at Cosentino's, which is probably the priciest grocer in town.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:38 PM

396 posts, read 653,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
The reasons these affordable units exist is due to the tax credits the developers received. These are all newer developments, and when they were built, the developers received incentives to set aside a portion or the units as affordable housing, in addition to the market rate units.

Rental rates in Downtown and the River Market are among the highest in the city, so unfortunately, there are not many good options below $750. I think these affordable units are more plentiful because there is a fairly small target demographic, so it seems the vacancy rate is higher than the market rate units (which have very low vacancy).

There are a number of ways the cost of living in KC is lower than other cities, but the price of groceries is not one of the main differences - especially at Cosentino's, which is probably the priciest grocer in town.
Pretty much spells it out - Most of the rental housing in downtown KC was built with MHDC (Missouri Housing Development Authority) incentives (rental only condos go with more traditional financing) The reason for this is that most of the projects would not have been able to happen without the 9% state program. In exchange for this money developers are required to offer a percentage of the units (usually the majority) at a reduced rate as calculated by regional demand.

Projects are selected in "beauty contest" at the state level with projects that look the best on paper or have the most political desire behind them getting done.

MHDC is actually headquarter in KC (but do work state wide) and had close connections to the Kay Barnes administration.

Most of the rentals in downtown KC have either 4% or 9% MHDC funding-

You are probably better off leasing a condo from a private owner

Old 07-29-2014, 09:39 PM

8 posts, read 15,592 times
That would make a lot of sense. It's quite interesting that KC is set up this way. There is plenty of housing under $700 (if you qualify) and plenty over $1200 (if you can afford it) but there doesn't seem to be much of a midline-- $750 to $1000/mo.

Do either of you ( or anyone else) know much about the MAC properties? My mother is recommending that I suck it up and live in one of those rather than Downtown/River Market. I am a bit concerned because the majority of the properties are closed to Troost Avenue. Everyone says "don't go east of Troost," due to safety concerns.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 11.37.03 PM.png
Views:	197
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	133715

Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM

709 posts, read 1,491,947 times
I don't think you should be too concerned about safety at any of the MAC property apartments.

First off, there is a fairly wide range of locations of MAC property apartments, as they span a mile long stretch around Armour Blvd. Even the closest apartment to Troost is still west of Troost by two blocks (and those two blocks can make a big difference), and on the other end, you are a mile away.

Troost isn't the war zone that some people might lead you to believe. Even some areas east of Troost are no too bad. I live just a few blocks west of Troost, fairly close to MAC apartments, and have had no problem walking to and up and down Troost. I don't do it that often, because there are not many good amenities or destinations, and it's not a particularly pleasant area - but it's not like you will get instantly mugged when you set foot on Troost, as some suburbanites may think.

My biggest concern for you when it comes to MAC apartments would be car-free living. Like I said, there is a mile long range of locations of these apartments, so the exact level of walkability and transit access will vary, depending on which building your are considering - but the area as a whole wouldn't rate the highest for easily walkable amenities. It could definitely be doable without a car, but it wouldn't be the most convenient.

If you are going to look in the Midtown area, rather than Downtown, I would recommend being closer to the center of Westport for the best walkability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: