Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 AM

11 posts, read 42,339 times

Advertisements

My husband has a ridiculously good job offer in KC. We have been out to visit twice and we really enjoyed it there. I'm torn. I love Denver but I want to know what you would do. I have 2 young children and want more. I am a stay at home mom and enjoy being outdoors. I'm a little concerned about weather and bugs. Give it to me straight! How is living in the Overland park area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 08:47 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
If you enjoy the outdoors, I'd most definitely say stay in Denver. It may be KC's weakest point. Otherwise, Kansas City is an okay place.
Bugs aren't too much of an issue. Weather doesn't cooperate very often.

There are a million other places in this world that are identical to KC's suburbs but have better climates and more outdoorsy options. A killer job offer is the only lure really. The older parts of the city itself are pretty neat, but have bad schools.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:17 AM

886 posts, read 2,226,211 times
Since you are considering Overland Park, I would assume you are more into the typical suburbs. That being the case, OP is your standard suburb though very nice and you have good schools there. If the offer is amazing then go for it.

You won't have the outdoorsy options as far as mountains go, but its easy to get away and go to the lake or camping on a weekend if you wanted to, Denver is I think 8-9 hour drive, so not very far away.

Cost of living is lower in KC then Denver, so for a really good job offer it may be worth it. As far as cities go Denver is going to offer more then KC, but from my experience the suburbs seemed pretty much the same.. I've only been out there 3-4 times tho.

Our weather sucks here in the summer. I can deal with the cold, but this humidity is horrible ..

Old 08-06-2010, 12:40 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times
I haven't been to OP but I live in NW Missouri and I have lived in Denver.

It can get pretty soupy here. Today where I am is absolutely gorgeous but a few days ago I would go out and feel damp. Severe weather happens and it can get pretty bumpy. The winter can get pretty cold but imho there isn't much snow. I think the feel of the weather out here is a lot different than Denver.

Chiggers, daddy longleg spiders have been the most irritating thing to me pest related. I also have bunnies, snakes, frogs, and a bunch of other creatures around.

What sort of things do you like to do outdoors?

Old 08-07-2010, 09:34 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Uh, if you value outdoor recreation opportunities, STAY IN DENVER! Practically zero humidity compared to KC.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:18 PM

21 posts, read 51,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
If you enjoy the outdoors, I'd most definitely say stay in Denver. It may be KC's weakest point. Otherwise, Kansas City is an okay place.
Bugs aren't too much of an issue. Weather doesn't cooperate very often.

There are a million other places in this world that are identical to KC's suburbs but have better climates and more outdoorsy options. A killer job offer is the only lure really. The older parts of the city itself are pretty neat, but have bad schools.
I could not agree more. If you are into the outdoors at all KC is not the place. If you do not like it hot and very humid from May through September than stay away. some may list outdoor activities here, but coming from Michigan where we had boating everywhere, skiing three hours away and tons of lakes and forests for camping all the while most nights able to keep the windows open and be cooled with fresh air and doing pretty much everything outside during the summer which I am guessing is similar to Denver. It is not that there are no outdoor things as much as they are just minor league in comparison.

KC is actually a nice place and probably the hot and humid weather and outdoor activities are the only two things that would make me tell someone not to move.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:24 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,190,547 times
I guess it's all in perspective but I think KC is very nice and I would make the move in a heartbeat. KC has small rolling hills and decent amount of bike paths. Of course you don't have the mountains which is probably the biggest downer. However I like green and tree. Some trees in the established parts of KC are amazing. There are some very beautiful parts, even if there isn't a mountain view. There isn't much in Denver that isn't in KC as far as ammenities that a city would offer.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 AM

11 posts, read 42,339 times
thanks for the replies. I am pretty sure we're going to end up there. I'm just trying to enjoy the summer here and prepare for a chilly winter move. All in all I think it could be a lot worse. For example: The other job was in El Paso. KC is a HUGE step up from that.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:35 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
I would stay in Denver, but I understand, you may not be able to do that. So long as you are active, KC is a great town and Colorado can be done in a long weekend. Life is what you make of it.

But Denver is an amazing city and Colorado is an amazing state. You have the best of everything, the Mountains next to a thriving city with nice suburbs and suburbs that don't hate the city. The metro just works and works well. It's very active and people really get out and enjoy life there.

KC is a great city, but you will find that you will have to go against the grain to enjoy what it offers, especially in Johnson County where it's almost part of the culture to hate on kcmo...

Old 08-10-2010, 03:26 PM

21 posts, read 51,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverorbust? View Post
thanks for the replies. I am pretty sure we're going to end up there. I'm just trying to enjoy the summer here and prepare for a chilly winter move. All in all I think it could be a lot worse. For example: The other job was in El Paso. KC is a HUGE step up from that.
As a person who has been an hour away from KC for over a decade and dealt with the people from there on a near daily basis I think you will find it a really nice place to live minus the weather and outdoor activities. On the plus side warmer winters and snow that does not last on the ground delaying spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City