U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-11-2010, 06:28 PM

4 posts, read 4,313 times
Default High School Marching Band

Can anybody give me a sense of how the high school marching band scene is in the Kansas City metro? It looks from a cursory web search like most of the suburban schools on both the KS and MO sides at least have band programs. Is that right? Do lots of kids participate? The ones that do: do they generally treat it as their primary extracurricular, like a sport, or is it just another thing to put on their college applications? Do band kids have outside tutor to supplement the music education they're getting in school? Do those tutor teach their lessons on or off school grounds?

Sorry for the serial questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-11-2010, 06:42 PM

448 posts, read 699,542 times
I am going to guess you are from the South. Having gone to school in Fl I know what Marching Band pride is, however it's not really like that here is KC, however most schools do have marching band and there are some in high school who really take pride in the band. But it's not going to be the main attraction at a football gave as it is in some places.

That being said, I have a nephew who goes to Winnetonka HS in the North Kansas City school district and they are considered one of the top bands in the area. Here is their website. Winnetonka Pride Band

Now, that is my opinion and my experience being a KC native, others may have a different opinion. As you can see by reading other posts we are an opinionated bunch.

Unread 08-11-2010, 08:05 PM

15,545 posts, read 11,711,224 times
I perform with a chick who was drum major for her JoCo area HS band when she attended, and she's pursuing a doctorate in music performance and theory, i.e. continues to be a serious musician as an adult.

Unread 01-31-2013, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 660 times
I am looking for bands to perform at some local arts festivals. Marching, symphonic, jazz, just so long asit is a youth band

Unread 01-31-2013, 07:23 PM

537 posts, read 495,379 times
Marching band costs money, so the schools with more affluence are more likely to have large marching band participation.

I attended Lawrence High, back when it was the only high school in Lawrence, and we had 200+ members. I was one of 21 trombones. We traveled to the Sugar Bowl my junior year. We performed in a couple of marching contests each year. We put in a lot of work, but I also balanced band with soccer and a part-time job.

Unread 02-01-2013, 10:01 AM

9,031 posts, read 10,506,027 times
I was in marching band at Shawnee Mission West HS and it was a big deal... lots of practice, competition, trip to England. All the SM high schools still have decent sized marching bands and there's a district-wide competion, and then I think they still go to the big competition in Warrensburg, MO each year.

I took music lessons outside of school up to about grade 10. By then I was good enough to drop the lessons, but I never aspired to be a musician beyond marching/symphonic band in high school. I loved band and wish I could still be doing it as an adult

Unread 02-01-2013, 11:31 AM

537 posts, read 495,379 times
I must also add one of the marching instructors often called me the worst marcher he had ever seen, and he was probably right.

We did the Warrensburg event each year too. One year, it rained, and rained, and the field turned to mud. One of our sousaphone players slipped and face-planted in the mud. Fortunately he avoided falling onto his mouthpiece.

Unread 02-01-2013, 12:56 PM

9,031 posts, read 10,506,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
I must also add one of the marching instructors often called me the worst marcher he had ever seen, and he was probably right.

We did the Warrensburg event each year too. One year, it rained, and rained, and the field turned to mud. One of our sousaphone players slipped and face-planted in the mud. Fortunately he avoided falling onto his mouthpiece.
I remember a couple muddy Warnensburg years! Many of the drill teams were covered in mud by the end of their shows.

Unread 02-15-2013, 02:31 PM

5,740 posts, read 5,541,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famusdarlin View Post
I am going to guess you are from the South. Having gone to school in Fl I know what Marching Band pride is, however it's not really like that here is KC, however most schools do have marching band and there are some in high school who really take pride in the band. But it's not going to be the main attraction at a football gave as it is in some places.

That being said, I have a nephew who goes to Winnetonka HS in the North Kansas City school district and they are considered one of the top bands in the area. Here is their website. Winnetonka Pride Band

Now, that is my opinion and my experience being a KC native, others may have a different opinion. As you can see by reading other posts we are an opinionated bunch.

I dont know what their program is like anymore but Oak Park in the NKC School District had an excellent marching band program when I was their 15 years ago. Their drum line won a national title one year when I was there.

Unread 02-15-2013, 09:40 PM

144 posts, read 89,225 times
I was in the marching band at washington high in kansas city kansas in the 80s.
great time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City