Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,947 times

Advertisements

KCMO, I plan on making my way down to KC from Chicago for the Tech N9ne concert October 30th at the Uptown Theatre and then plan on being in attendance at Arrowhead Stadium the 31st when the Bills come to town. I've got a couple questions that I'd like to find the answer to.

First and foremost, what kind of neighborhood is the Uptown Theatre in and are there any good prices hotels within walking distance cause I plan on doing some drinking before and after the show and don't plan on d&r.

Also, what are some great places to eat as I'm aware you guys are great for BBQs. I know of Gates Bar BQ but there are a few locations but I'd like to know which one is the original one?

Lastly, what else do you recommend me checking out while I'm not at the concert or game. Any specific tour sites or places that you guys insist I should visit?

Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 09:51 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
The Uptown theater is in urban "mid-town" Kansas City. The area is OK but exercise the precautions one would in any urban environment. The best bet for decent hotels in the vicinity are on the Plaza or in Westport and are not really "walking distance" at night from the Uptown if one plans on walking about inebreated. Rates for hotels in this area command a price.

What tourist attractons to see really depends on your interests. If you plan to stay in the city the WWI museum and the art galleries (Nelson Atkins & Kemper) are well worth the time.

http://www.theworldwar.org/s/110/new...community.aspx

http://nelson-atkins.org/

http://www.kemperart.org/

If you like more rural experiences the drive up to Weston, MO is beautiful in the Fall. http://www.westonmo.com/entertainment/calendar.html

I'm not a fan of the Gates BBQ style so I cannot help you on that one. The original Arthur Bryant's would be a historical BBQ stop however.
http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/

If you go to Arthur Bryant's for your KC BBQ fix you'll also be in the immediate vicinity of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and the American Jazz Museum.
http://www.nlbm.com/

http://www.americanjazzmuseum.com/Si...ocName=Welcome

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 08-15-2010 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: links added

Old 08-16-2010, 09:42 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
If you go to Bryants, you need to try the Sausage, it's out of this world and really underrated.

LC's near the stadium has some great Pork Sandwiches and French Fries

Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
The area is fine, even at night. Don't try to sell or buy drugs at 39th and Broadway and you will be fine. Just have some city smarts and don't make yourself a target. (get wasted and walk alone down dark alleys etc).

I would just plan on using taxi cabs to get from a downtown or plaza hotel to the uptown because they are not within walking distance and cabs are plentiful in midtown.

Go to the original Gates on Cleaver Blvd (it's not really the original), the original was demolished for brush creek flood control, but it's the flagship location and the nicest location. But the one on Main is also very nice.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:02 PM

The area is fine, even at night. Don't try to sell or buy drugs at 39th and Broadway and you will be fine. Just have some city smarts and don't make yourself a target. (get wasted and walk alone down dark alleys etc).

I would just plan on using taxi cabs to get from a downtown or plaza hotel to the uptown because they are not within walking distance and cabs are plentiful in midtown.

Go to the original Gates on Cleaver Blvd (it's not really the original), the original was demolished for brush creek flood control, but it's the flagship location and the nicest location. But the one on Main is also very nice.

If you want hole in the wall authentic bbq, then go to Bryants on Brooklyn.

Check out the Negro Leagues Baseball museum and the WWI monument (even if you only go to the top of the observation deck). Both can be enjoyed as an individual if you are alone.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I agree that the area is fine -- after a concert it will be bustling with people anyway. There is a clean, cheap-ish Holiday Inn Express right in Westport that would be a good bet to stay at. That would put you less than a mile walk to the Uptown -- that's what I consider a very doable walk, and the neighborhood, as I said, would give me no hesitation (as long as you're not a girl and you'd be walking alone -- I don't do that at night.) But cabs are plentiful in Westport and in front of the Uptown after concerts so you shouldn't have a problem if you'd prefer that option.

There are several bars in Westport you can hit up either before or after the concert (or both!) McCoy's has a gorgeous outdoor patio, makes some good beers of their own, and has a pretty good menu, so it's a great option for before the concert.

After you could go to any number of places -- One80, Kelly's, Dark Horse, Harpo's, etc. Just depends what you're looking for.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:45 AM

The Q in westport is a very nice hotel too.

Tech N9ne is awesome BTW .

Old 08-17-2010, 09:28 PM

249 posts, read 332,328 times
Default cheap(er) hotel near uptown theatre

The Econo Lodge on Broadway is in walking distance of the Uptown Theatre and it's where I sometimes stay when trying to have fun in KC on a budget.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:59 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
I once booked a room on priceline for 37 a night near the plaza on Main Street, you might want to try priceline, that is the only place where i book my hotel rooms now.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
I once booked a room on priceline for 37 a night near the plaza on Main Street, you might want to try priceline, that is the only place where i book my hotel rooms now.
It's all I use too. Stayed in KC at the Hyatt while in town for $55 a night. I have stayed at the Westin in KC for $45. Plaza hotels tend to be a bit more (if you want 4 star), but I like Crown Center because it's central to both the Plaza and Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City