Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:17 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,120 times

Advertisements

An airport 45 minutes away is a huge problem if business partners complain about it and start moving business with easier airport access. Sometimes this is a huge draw and was one of the reasons why Miller-Coors moved HQ to Chicago.

Just think the chances of being in an accident is 100 times greater on the 45 minute car ride to the airport then the actual flight they took.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 05:40 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Total nonsense. Every large city must have a good transit system to be well regarded. With the rapidly aging population of JOCO I don't think everyone will be wanting to drive everywhere all the time. This is where higher density, walkability, and a more highly consolidated amenity package is key. JOCO wants nothing to do with transit or to be linked with future transit plans in Kansas City. Period.
I don't use transit much, but when LOUISVILLE, KY (a metro with one million fewer residents than KC) has a superior transit system that goes directly to the Airport, World Tradeport, Downtown, and the Suburbs you know KC has an ENORMOUS PROBLEM.
Hmmm......"Total nonsense" in response to a posters simple truth. I guess, then, that if we are going to be that blunt here, you won't mind a blunt response.

Ok, you're entitled to your opinion, but it is not shared by most people - period. Sooner or later you're going to have to face the fact that Johnson County is what it is because the middle-class families to which it appeals want it that way. They don't want others living above and beneath them and on the other side of their walls and they don't like using mass transit - period.

"Every large city must have a good transit system to be well regarded"? Only to be well regarded by those few who share your fringe viewpoint.

It is just getting ridiculous. This constant drumbeat of propaganda - put forth in an attempt that will always fail - to point us back to an inferior quality of life that we evolved beyond half a century ago and more.

People with the means to make free choices in life simply know better and are not going to buy what your selling. Your "cause" is an exercise in futility today and for the foreseeable future.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:13 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,502,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
An airport 45 minutes away is a huge problem if business partners complain about it and start moving business with easier airport access. Sometimes this is a huge draw and was one of the reasons why Miller-Coors moved HQ to Chicago.

Just think the chances of being in an accident is 100 times greater on the 45 minute car ride to the airport then the actual flight they took.
45 minutes is nothing to complain about and business people know it. Yes 20 is better, and a light rail in KC at least from the airport to downtown would be great. These things we agree on.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:22 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

"Every large city must have a good transit system to be well regarded"? Only to be well regarded by those few who share your fringe viewpoint.

It is just getting ridiculous. This constant drumbeat of propaganda - put forth in an attempt that will always fail - to point us back to an inferior quality of life that we evolved beyond half a century ago and more.

People with the means to make free choices in life simply know better and are not going to buy what your selling. Your "cause" is an exercise in futility today and for the foreseeable future.
This is one of the most regressive and pathetic posts I have ever seen on this forum. To suggest those who value public transportation and walkability are on the "fringe" is wildly inaccurate.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Well he is from the SF Bay Area. I love that South Park where Cartmen tries to go into SF but there is too much smug to enter.
God Help Cartman - Video Clips - South Park Studios

Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Well he is from the SF Bay Area. I love that South Park where Cartmen tries to go into SF but there is too much smug to enter.
God Help Cartman - Video Clips - South Park Studios
Actually, he's from Kansas I think, and he hates SF, one of the country's best cities IMO. He simply doesn't like cities and does like suburbs. Pretty simple.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 AM

I do agree that SF is one of the best cities in the country but i don't like the fact that they pretty much just shipped most of the problems they had in the city (Tenderloin/City Hall/The Mission) to other parts of the Bay. That is not the solution, it just creates another problem somewhere else. Now when Oakland becomes this San Francisco type city (which parts have become), where will the problems go then? Just another city that has to deal with it.

The same thing can apply to KC, we don't like crime in our nieghborhood, so we knock down the problem buildings, kick the people out, raise rents, put in trendy restaurants. But where did the problems go we just solved? Shawnee, Grandview. How is that solving the problem? It's just creating the problem somewhere else and now that it's not in our backyard anymore, we don't give two ****s about it.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Actually, he's from Kansas I think, and he hates SF, one of the country's best cities IMO. He simply doesn't like cities and does like suburbs. Pretty simple.
No, I'm from Buffalo. And before moving to Kansas (the first time) in 1976, also lived in the Chicago, Minneapolis, Rochester (NY), and SF Bay areas.

I doubt that most of you professing a love for San Francisco have spent any serious time there outside of a few days in and around the standard tourist areas. Everyone from the Midwest is enchanted by it at first and/or infrequent visits and so was I in the fall of 1973. And most people from the Midwest are also disgusted by what they find is just beneath the surface of the skin-deep beauty. But that takes some time. IF all you ever do is tourist visits you will come and go with artificial stars in your eyes.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
This is one of the most regressive and pathetic posts I have ever seen on this forum. To suggest those who value public transportation and walkability are on the "fringe" is wildly inaccurate.
Thank you.

Any time I'm called "regressive" by anyone embracing the upside down world of today's progressivism, I know I'm on the right track.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:14 PM

I have spent times in the neighborhoods of SF. My aunt lived in Noe Valley, a great family neighborhood. The Mission was a great hispanic nieghborhood but not it's become gentrified and will be too expensive to live in a couple years. It's a nice gritty area where mainly hipsters hang out in now.

Maybe we shouldn't have cities/counties/states, we should just be all one big team working together, not having this hatred and division.
John Lennon said it best in one verse of his lyrics:
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City