Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 10:33 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,120 times

Advertisements

I have been doing a lot more stuff out and about in this city ever since I canceled cable TV a few months ago. I have been noticing that KC has a lot of non profit small Theatre/Live Acting Venues in this town.

From what i know, here are the places i have come across:

I swear there is like 10 or so just in the Crossroads/Downtown/West Bottoms
3 on Main Street in Midtown 36-39th street
1 in Union Station
2-3 in Crown Center
1 in Penn Valley Park
1 or 2 at UMKC
Probably 5-10 more in the Suburbs

Does anyone know if they have a high percentage of theaters or do cities similar to KC normally have that many?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 06:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
The KC Rep's Spencer Theatre at UMKC also does great shows. We went to their production of Tom Stoppard's Arcadia a while back that was very well done.

I've heard good things about the Barn Players in Mission.

Heart of America Shakespeare Festival does a great summer production in the park each year, too.

KC is a much better fine arts down than outsiders realize. I don't do theatre anymore, but focus on choral performance instead, and this is a really great town for fine arts performers.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,124 times
Don't forget the Quality Hill Playhouse, on 10th (I think) Street.

edit: Oops, that might have been covered already.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:03 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've heard good things about the Barn Players in Mission.
Barn Players does great shows.

"Assassins - The Musical" opens September 17th. Can't wait!

But yes, lots of great live theater in KC, professional, some great community theaters and even some of the high schools have great reputations for high quality shows.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:01 PM

Assassins is a great show! One of my coworkers is regularly in their stuff and sometimes is able to get discount tix...I'll have to see if she's involved, and take the BF. The only musical theatre he tolerates well is Sondheim.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:06 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
IMO The arts profile of Kansas City is probably higher than that for a metropolitan area of similar size and demographic. This can be in part attributed cultural arts anchors in the city like the Nelson Adkins museum of contemporary arts and the Kansas City Art Institute. The Mid America Arts Alliance, a fifteen state arts consortium is based out of Kansas City.
I think one of most important factors is The Kansas City Chapter of Young Audiences. This an organization that has been providing arts experiences for children in the metropolitan area for well over thirty years. Not only do organizations like this develop audiences for the arts but they attract performing artist to the city and help to retain the home grown talent.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:07 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Assassins is a great show! One of my coworkers is regularly in their stuff and sometimes is able to get discount tix...I'll have to see if she's involved, and take the BF. The only musical theatre he tolerates well is Sondheim.
Saw "Assassins" this weekend! It is a great show! It runs until the 3rd of October, then "Rent" is up after that.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:35 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
Yeah, KC's theatre scene is considered third strongest out of Midwest/South (behind Chicago/MSP). There are about 100 pro/union companies and another 100 community/academic. It seems even stronger this year, perhaps approaching Minneapolis.

Lots of theatre productions lined up for first half of 2012.. over 60 professional productions... and next fall season not even primed up yet.

Theater 2012 | Weird comedies, dark dramas and musicals with a twist - KansasCity.com

Old 01-03-2012, 07:32 PM

Sounds about right to me...I studied theatre near the Twin Cities as a college student, and am a former Chicago resident and theatregoer. KC does a bang up job, given its size. For Christmas, I got opera tickets at the new Performing Arts Center, and am pretty excited for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City