Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:22 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva kc View Post
There it is. Samantha admits JoCo lives in a bubble and believes everyone in independence is on meth. Words that cannot be unsaid.
And in other news: Some people have a difficult time understanding sarcasm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 06:28 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,095 times
I was happy to read this news earlier, however I have heard before that it's pretty over-rated. I'm still waitig on Ikea!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:40 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,857,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
The Ward Parkway store is also aimed at JoCo. But by being in MO, they will be able to sell alcohol.

Not to say they won't expand at some point, but the JoCo market is the safest bet in terms of an initial target. A quick look around the metro at where the Whole Foods stores already are and the largest organic sections of other grocery stores ...

I wouldn't be surprised if TJ's puts the WF at 119th and Lamar out of business.
Independence has Nature's Pantry, and both HyVee's have nice organic/health sections, so by those standards, we should have a Trader Joe's. Nice spot next to Bass Pro over there, or they could have chosen a place on Noland Road.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Never lived in a metro that has a Trader Joe's, and always been surrounded by people distraught that there's no Trader Joe's. Semi-interested to check it out and see if the hype has been justified.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:53 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Independence has Nature's Pantry, and both HyVee's have nice organic/health sections, so by those standards, we should have a Trader Joe's. Nice spot next to Bass Pro over there, or they could have chosen a place on Noland Road.
Sure, okay. But as had been mentioned many times. Businesses don't ask themselves, "Gee, what location for our business would best for the "urban core" and make a certain demographic feel better about which side of a state line they live on? "

They ask, "Where is the highest concentration of people who will buy our crap?"

If they are looking for people easily impressed by hype, wouldn't you be among the first to point them to JoCo?

Old 09-17-2010, 02:13 AM

57 posts, read 133,507 times
I certainly have no need to promote Trader Joe's, but I can tell you I'm able to find all my staples there--and I am pretty strict about organic meat/dairy/produce. It's true that I have to go to Target for some cleaning/housing needs. And I do go to larger markets when I'm preparing something out of the ordinary, or something that requires spices/baking ingredients beyond the more limited TJs selection. But even with a Whole Foods and a Fairway (the new benchmark for NY supermarkets) relatively nearby I am still able to use TJs as my basic market. Plus it's small and I can get in and out quickly. You might be surprised how much you like it once you get hooked!

Old 09-17-2010, 06:24 AM

886 posts, read 2,225,081 times
I guess I don't see the big deal... and with the location they are choosing I probably will never go unless I happen to be in the neighborhood and stop by.

Strange with the demographics having more growth and higher growth rate in the northland, and the growth of downtown, that they wouldn't put it in location to serve that market.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:27 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Excessive hype just always gives me a knee-jerk rush of skepticism. None the less, I'm sure I'll check out the Ward Parkway location once the skies are done parting and the resounding chords from the choirs of angels have finished emitting from heaven, and once they clean up all the urine from everyone pissing their pants in excitement.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:41 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
They seem fine, but no way are they as popular as people make them out to be. There are not that many of them and they are not that big. I think most people go once to say they go to Trader Joes then rarely return.

I would guess that a very small percentage of those that hype up the place are truly regulars there. I think it's a great niche market for those that do shop there.

Having said that, I'm surprised that they are going to pay leawood retail prices. Most of the stores I have seen are not in upscale and very high rent retail areas. Seems like they would do just as well at say rosana square or something where rents are probably half.

Again, nice catch for KC during such down economy.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:16 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Think of Trader Joes as a nice bodega and you will be fine. They are just very good "neighborhood-type" markets, nothing more, nothing less.

If you believe the hype you will be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City