Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 10:25 PM

77,773 posts, read 59,928,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
And how would you suggest we pay for our sewers and trash and sidewalks exactly?

Most major cities in America have an earning tax (or MUCH higher taxes in other ways). I'm tired of everyone trying to pretend it's such an uncommon thing.
Please think before coming in with knee jerk responses like that which aren't even factually correct.

There have been numerous economic studies on the impact of wage taxes driving companies to the suburbs. Philadelphia is the poster child with a 5% wage tax. Certainly the 1% is not huge but it does have an impact.

It's amazing how my criticism of the wage tax is met as if I'd personally attacked kansas city. It's not good for the city, ignore that if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 01:24 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,494,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Please think before coming in with knee jerk responses like that which aren't even factually correct.

There have been numerous economic studies on the impact of wage taxes driving companies to the suburbs. Philadelphia is the poster child with a 5% wage tax. Certainly the 1% is not huge but it does have an impact.

It's amazing how my criticism of the wage tax is met as if I'd personally attacked kansas city. It's not good for the city, ignore that if you want.
Which part of what I said was factually inaccurate?

I choose not to trust "economic studies" done by partisan think tanks with an agenda such as the Tax Foundation and the Heritage Foundation.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:07 PM

822 posts, read 2,036,094 times
So point out what is incorrect or biased in this table of cities with earnings taxes in this link:
The Tax Foundation - Local Wage, Income, and Occupational Privilege Taxes, 2008

It's just a statement of fact--either a city has an earnings tax or it doesn't, and this is a list of those that do. Notably absent are a HOST of cities who seem to be doing just as well, if not better, than those with earnings taxes.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Which part of what I said was factually inaccurate?

I choose not to trust "economic studies" done by partisan think tanks with an agenda such as the Tax Foundation and the Heritage Foundation.
It's been pointed out to you 3-4 times in this thread....and yet you keep asking?

Something about how most blah blah blah have wage taxes.

There are a number of unbiased articles on this phenomenon in major newspapers. Feel free to google and learn. Ever taken an economics class? Ever picked up an economics text?
Really....this is getting ridiculous.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:46 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,722,311 times
There is no more proof out there showing that the etax is bad for a city than there is that it's good. Especially when looking at KC's case specifically, which is nothing like Phillys’ case.

The city says it needs it and I'm willing to bet that once the public is educated, they too will vote again for it once they know the consequences of repealing the tax. Even moronic funkhouser who once liked the idea of removing the tax knows how disastrous it would be now if the tax goes away.

If the tax goes away, those that live in JoCo and work in the city will be no more likely to live or work in the city than they do now. That has to be kc’s biggest urban myth.

BTW, do you guys know that a very small percentage of people from JoCo even pay the etax out of however many people live there? Most of the etax comes from KCMO residents, then MO side suburban residents, then JoCo/Wyco. But you almost never hear anything from those living in Blue Springs, Lee’s Summit, Independence, Cass County, Liberty, Gladstone, Raytown, Grandview, even KCK etc.

Any forum, KC star, etc, it will be JoCo people that just can’t fathom the idea of the etax. Again, the fastest growing suburb in the metro area is KCMO’s northland which means you pay the etax no matter where you work and a lot of northlanders don’t work in KCMO. So the etax is having little effect on where people move to. Liberty has no etax and a lot of people will try to persuade people to move to Liberty to avoid the KCMO etax, but Liberty's population has barely changed in two decades. All the growth in the Liberty area is actually in the city of KCMO. So how is the etax bad for growth?

I just don’t think the etax is near as big a deal as people make it out to be.

And as far as taxation without representation. I pretty much feel that way about just about every tax I pay. I have worked in Kansas while living in KCMO and always had to send them extra money. Here in the DC area, I work live in MD and work in DC. Same deal. There are very few taxes that you can really vote on. Temporary small sales taxes etc I guess. Most of the rest are out my hands no matter where I live or vote. Taxes suck but it's part of life and they are needed. Life goes on.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:48 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,494,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's been pointed out to you 3-4 times in this thread....and yet you keep asking?

Something about how most blah blah blah have wage taxes.

There are a number of unbiased articles on this phenomenon in major newspapers. Feel free to google and learn. Ever taken an economics class? Ever picked up an economics text?
Really....this is getting ridiculous.
Your inability to go back two pages and quote me properly is pretty suspect in my opinion. You can't quite remember what I said, but you're just SURE it was bs. Well done.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Your inability to go back two pages and quote me properly is pretty suspect in my opinion. You can't quite remember what I said, but you're just SURE it was bs. Well done.
I didn't bother to exactly quote you because someone else already did and you ignored it. I was making a point, not asking for an honest rebuttal as I knew one would not be forthcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City