Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 02:43 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The reason they are so well traveled is that they know lots of other interesting places exist outside KS and MO. I know I always wanted a vacation every couple of weeks to get away from so many of the annoying people there, including the odd social culture. Thank goodeness I have seen most of the country since that time, and have lived in many different cities and states. Too often, people are quite afraid of any change, moving, or trying anything outside their comfort zone. I will always be more of an easterner because that is the area of the country that I am most comfortable in. KC, via in-migration (particularly) in the suburban areas, is starting to allign itself more with the Sunbelt in more ways than one- therefore becoming less Midwestern. I attribute it to lots of Texas, Colorado, and California TRANSPLANTS- particularly during the 1990s boom period in JOCO.
GS, I just don't begin to see where you get this "annoying people" stuff. You want to see some annoying people? Come out here to the Bay Area and spend a couple of months....then tell me what you think of KC people.

Yes, there are more interesting places to visit than KS and MO. And I, too, lived in the East and enjoyed it - have many fond memories of life in Western New York. But that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with KC people. From my experience they are among the nicest and easiest to get along with of any I have come to know coast to coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 03:33 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
But that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with KC people. From my experience they are among the nicest and easiest to get along with of any I have come to know coast to coast.
Maybe you had a different experience than mine. Quite frankly, the suburbia that you remembered in KC back 20-25 years ago is not even remotely the same place as today. Lots of keeping up with the Jones,' snobbery, pretentiousness, and arrogance in JOCO. Not everyone, but a sizable chunk of the populace. I doubt things have changed much in the past few years. That is probably why I like places that don't have a lot of flux or change because it is easier to make very good friends you can trust. It is a bit harder to do that in more transient places.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:10 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
Lots of keeping up with the Jones,' snobbery, pretentiousness, and arrogance in JOCO. Not everyone, but a sizable chunk of the populace.
I must admit, I braced myself for that when we moved out South of 435. But I have been so pleasantly surprised to find very little of it.

Our new neighbors and the families we have met through schools and activities are all quite down-to-Earth and friendly.

I'm sure the snobby pretentious folks are out there. I have met a few. But honestly, I really don't think about them much. I don't hang out with them. So they don't annoy me.

I do think a lot has to do with personal perception. If you go looking for the negative, you are sure to find it everywhere. <shrug>

Old 12-31-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Maybe you had a different experience than mine. Quite frankly, the suburbia that you remembered in KC back 20-25 years ago is not even remotely the same place as today. Lots of keeping up with the Jones,' snobbery, pretentiousness, and arrogance in JOCO. Not everyone, but a sizable chunk of the populace. I doubt things have changed much in the past few years. That is probably why I like places that don't have a lot of flux or change because it is easier to make very good friends you can trust. It is a bit harder to do that in more transient places.
Well, point taken that I moved away over 20 years ago and the image in my mind is that of JOCO in the 80s.

You have made a number comments about JOCO becoming more and more like California. To the extent that JOCO has been flooded with California personalities and attitudes since I left, on reflection we probably have some common ground. Because, though living in the Bay Area has some big pluses, people quality ain't among them. All I can say is that I rated KC's people quality very highly as of the time I lived there. When I occasionally meet a person in this area who stands out from the crowd in terms of being interesting, educated, and genuinely warm, they are almost always from the Midwest or East. I mean like 19 times out of 20.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:33 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Well, point taken that I moved away over 20 years ago and the image in my mind is that of JOCO in the 80s.

You have made a number comments about JOCO becoming more and more like California. To the extent that JOCO has been flooded with California personalities and attitudes since I left, on reflection we probably have some common ground. Because, though living in the Bay Area has some big pluses, people quality ain't among them. All I can say is that I rated KC's people quality very highly as of the time I lived there. When I occasionally meet a person in this area who stands out from the crowd in terms of being interesting, educated, and genuinely warm, they are almost always from the Midwest or East. I mean like 19 times out of 20.
^
Yes, this is EXACTLY what I am referring to with regard to the change in the culture of JOCO in particular. Back when you lived there in the 80s, most of JOCO south of I-435 was exurban and not high density suburban. During the ensuing 20-25 years, corporate high end employment, engineering, finance, healthcare, and other employment greatly surged. Entire new subdivisions south of 435 sprouted like weeds overnight. This boom period in JOCO was most pronounced during the 90s when lots of out of state licence plates were common. So, you had much greater levels of in-migration from all areas of the US, but particularly the Sunbelt. They brought their West Coast style culture right along with them. The fakeness and plastic personalities to go along with the ultra materialistic culture greatly increased. People began paying 250-350K for houses on super small lots in JOCO as well. I just don't understand the new money, big spending, materialistic, West Coast style culture. It might be generalizing to a degree, but definitely represents what many parts of the county have become.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:47 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,746 times
Quote:
It might be generalizing to a degree, but definitely represents what many parts of the county have become.
I wonder what affluent suburbs in any part of the country wouldn't fit your overgeneralized description though.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
^
Yes, this is EXACTLY what I am referring to with regard to the change in the culture of JOCO in particular. Back when you lived there in the 80s, most of JOCO south of I-435 was exurban and not high density suburban. During the ensuing 20-25 years, corporate high end employment, engineering, finance, healthcare, and other employment greatly surged. Entire new subdivisions south of 435 sprouted like weeds overnight. This boom period in JOCO was most pronounced during the 90s when lots of out of state licence plates were common. So, you had much greater levels of in-migration from all areas of the US, but particularly the Sunbelt. They brought their West Coast style culture right along with them. The fakeness and plastic personalities to go along with the ultra materialistic culture greatly increased. People began paying 250-350K for houses on super small lots in JOCO as well. I just don't understand the new money, big spending, materialistic, West Coast style culture. It might be generalizing to a degree, but definitely represents what many parts of the county have become.
Funny that what appeared to be a significant difference in viewpoints may actually be significant agreement. Little did I know that we could be talking about the same people. The same attitudes, the incredible shallowness that you have to experience first hand to believe it exists....that I can't stand here!

When I first came out here in 1973, I had never been west of Grand Island, Nebraska and the difference in personalities and attitudes hit me like a ton of bricks. If JOCO is now significantly infected, then I couldn't agree with you more. Sad, sad, sad.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 17,863 times
Just imagine the progress this region could make if all the intellect used in these posts would be re-purposed toward addressing the issue of poverty in KCMO and the region.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:29 PM

216 posts, read 622,919 times
Yes, just IMAGINE! the pics of Richard Dawson are amusing though. We can always count on you, aragx6.
It is true. Wouldn't it be more useful to try to BUILD community, wherever you find yourself, rather than critiquing and tearing down one community or another?

Old 01-02-2011, 04:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
So my attempt at NYE lightheartedness obviously fell on deaf ears ...

What if I post more funny pictures of Richard Dawson?
Hey, I appreciated it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City