U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:43 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,231,152 times

Advertisements

I moved here from Chicago and was pleased to find couteous drivers in KC. There are a lot fewer jerks on the road than up north, believe me. What I don't like is the design of the roads, like merge lanes ending too soon and (ARGH!!!!) the lane you're in suddenly becoming a right-turn only lane and you are forced to turn. Then there are those on-ramp/off-ramp accidents waiting to happen, where people are crossing over each other, getting off and getting on highways. The design of the roadways here is astoundingly stupid, IMO. Well, in Kansas, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 08:53 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,556,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
What I don't like is the design of the roads, like merge lanes ending too soon and (ARGH!!!!) the lane you're in suddenly becoming a right-turn only lane and you are forced to turn. Then there are those on-ramp/off-ramp accidents waiting to happen, where people are crossing over each other, getting off and getting on highways. The design of the roadways here is astoundingly stupid, IMO. Well, in Kansas, anyway.
I've never understood why Kansas doesn't bother to inform you that you're in an exit-only lane half the time.
Then there's Missouri who's just now getting up to date with the increased amount of traffic here in the 21st century. I'm sure 70 was great 40 years ago.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:27 PM

266 posts, read 476,884 times
This is mostly in response to kcmo's points, and I totally agree.

One, OMG why cannot people figure out that those things are freeways!? I'm usually up to 65 halfway down the ramp, ready to merge when I have to slow down for some idiot going 30.

Dual turns, LOL, I see that too where EVERYONE lines up in one of the turn lanes, but no one is in the other. The biggest case of this for me is Quivira going south turning left to go east on 87th st, near the new I-35 interchange. I usually go in the left empty lane and then bypass those suckers and turn into the lanes they were trying to get into (safely though with lots of room, because of the typical three second green light lag I have tons of time). They actually have to time that green arrow to be really long or else the traffic would back up all the way to 79th.

Lol at green light turning, I'm starting to call this "Kansas City lag". There's always a consistent full second, often more like two seconds, lag when a light turns green for the first car to go. In any bigger city, they'd probably be killed by now by the guy behind them. I'm too scared to use my horn because of possible fights and/or police calls on me because I'm showing "road rage". Because people in Kansas City are THAT bipolar.

An example of this bipolarness can be seen if you're going south on I-35 during afternoon rush hour, from downtown down to Olathe (though I only drive that stretch sometimes from about 75th down). It starts slow, ~40 mph, but once you get past say I-435, watch as everyone is in a pickup truck and going 90+. It is truly a sight to see and will make any speed racing thrill movie seem ridiculous. I, an extremely aggressive driver, get terrified every time I drive that stretch. And also, for just about every entrance to I-35, you have to merge like *that*. Maybe 50 feet to merge maybe...

Most people are frustratingly slow. Especially true of WY drivers. In Wyandotte County, hardly any roads are above 20 mph speed limit, enforced literally. So the people drive accordingly, even on JoCo's 45 mph boulevards.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:31 PM

And by the time the light turns red, well, that's just a suggestion. On a regular basis, I'll see 4-5 cars go right on through well after the red. Especially in Independence. I feel like I'm back in Memphis (who make KC drivers look brilliant).
Then there's the geniuses at the four-way stops. Never mind they got there before you did, and never mind they're to your right, they will sit there and hand-argue with you to get you to go first. Happens a LOT (daily) in Overland Park. I'm beginning to think Kansas rules are opposite of everyone else's. Maybe they're just trying to be nice, but it's confusing and annoying.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:05 AM

10,720 posts, read 18,632,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
This is mostly in response to kcmo's points, and I totally agree.

One, OMG why cannot people figure out that those things are freeways!? I'm usually up to 65 halfway down the ramp, ready to merge when I have to slow down for some idiot going 30.

Dual turns, LOL, I see that too where EVERYONE lines up in one of the turn lanes, but no one is in the other. The biggest case of this for me is Quivira going south turning left to go east on 87th st, near the new I-35 interchange. I usually go in the left empty lane and then bypass those suckers and turn into the lanes they were trying to get into (safely though with lots of room, because of the typical three second green light lag I have tons of time). They actually have to time that green arrow to be really long or else the traffic would back up all the way to 79th.

Lol at green light turning, I'm starting to call this "Kansas City lag". There's always a consistent full second, often more like two seconds, lag when a light turns green for the first car to go. In any bigger city, they'd probably be killed by now by the guy behind them. I'm too scared to use my horn because of possible fights and/or police calls on me because I'm showing "road rage". Because people in Kansas City are THAT bipolar.

An example of this bipolarness can be seen if you're going south on I-35 during afternoon rush hour, from downtown down to Olathe (though I only drive that stretch sometimes from about 75th down). It starts slow, ~40 mph, but once you get past say I-435, watch as everyone is in a pickup truck and going 90+. It is truly a sight to see and will make any speed racing thrill movie seem ridiculous. I, an extremely aggressive driver, get terrified every time I drive that stretch. And also, for just about every entrance to I-35, you have to merge like *that*. Maybe 50 feet to merge maybe...

Most people are frustratingly slow. Especially true of WY drivers. In Wyandotte County, hardly any roads are above 20 mph speed limit, enforced literally. So the people drive accordingly, even on JoCo's 45 mph boulevards.
Agree with all of this. I don't even know why I complain because I usually go around everybody and get right on interstate because nobody uses the dual turns. I freeflow right on so long as I can get around the queues that block the second turn lanes.

A few place really bad are 435 and Metcalf. SB Metcalf to EB 435. Nobody uses the dual lanes and they block the second lane so you have to stay in the mainlanes all the way to the signal and cut around them. Same deal at I-70 and Route 7 or Adams Dairy in Blue Springs.

And going to a sporting or other event? Jesus. People could get into the speedway, arrowhead, kauffman, Bartle Hall etc in a fraction of the time if they just used the available dual or even triple turn lanes and because they don't long backups are triggered. You can typically get around those too though and drive right into the stadiums with no delay. I usually do.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 PM

400 posts, read 847,641 times
Geez, what a bunch of whiners.

Did it ever occur to you that people are lined up in one lane of a dual turn lane because most of them have to make a quick right turn once they turn onto the intersecting street. Those people at 87th and Quivira are all in the right lane of the dual turn lane on southbound Quivira because when they turn east and get on 87th eastbound, most of them are either turning south off of 87th to go to a store or going to get on I-35 southbound, and they need to be in the right lane of 87th to make the right turn or exit. They don't want to be in the left dual turn lane, turn onto 87th and be in the left lane on 87th eastbound and then have to speed up real quick to merge into the right lane of 87th so they can make their exit. Because sometimes there is some road rage a**hole in the right lane that won't let you merge over. So rather than dealing with that, they just stay in the right dual turn lane so when they make the turn, they don't have to change lanes and they can easily make their exit. That's why you see so many people in one lane of a dual turn lane.

One of the people said he goes in the left dual turn lane which usually has fewer cars and then once he makes the turn he merges back into the right lane ("the lanes they were trying to get into"). He thinks this makes him smart. The only reason this works for you is because 1) those people in the right lane are being nice and letting you merge over (as opposed to speeding up and preventing you from merging into their lanes), and 2) traffic in that lane is slowing down anyway because people are making their intended exits to the right (which was the reason most of them were in the right dual turn lane to begin with).

Old 10-20-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post

Did it ever occur to you that people are lined up in one lane of a dual turn lane because most of them have to make a quick right turn once they turn onto the intersecting street. Those people at 87th and Quivira are all in the right lane of the dual turn lane on southbound Quivira because when they turn east and get on 87th eastbound, most of them are either turning south off of 87th to go to a store or going to get on I-35 southbound, and they need to be in the right lane of 87th to make the right turn or exit. They don't want to be in the left dual turn lane, turn onto 87th and be in the left lane on 87th eastbound and then have to speed up real quick to merge into the right lane of 87th so they can make their exit. Because sometimes there is some road rage a**hole in the right lane that won't let you merge over. So rather than dealing with that, they just stay in the right dual turn lane so when they make the turn, they don't have to change lanes and they can easily make their exit. That's why you see so many people in one lane of a dual turn lane.
This may often be the case, but there's plenty of times that certain types of people in certain parts of town have some sort of obsession with forming unnecessarily long lines instead of just taking the path of least resistance.
I've also noticed this phenomenon at QuickTrip's checkout counters in those parts of town. People will stand in line six deep instead of going to the empty spot at the counter where there's a cashier trying to wave them over.
Obviously things that don't matter much, but as an observation, I've noticed that this behavior varies quite widely depending on where you are in KC.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:49 PM

10,720 posts, read 18,632,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
This may often be the case, but there's plenty of times that certain types of people in certain parts of town have some sort of obsession with forming unnecessarily long lines instead of just taking the path of least resistance.
I've also noticed this phenomenon at QuickTrip's checkout counters in those parts of town. People will stand in line six deep instead of going to the empty spot at the counter where there's a cashier trying to wave them over.
Obviously things that don't matter much, but as an observation, I've noticed that this behavior varies quite widely depending on where you are in KC.
Exactly. People follow each other around rather than looking for that path of least resistance. I always look for an easier route and there is almost always one available.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:29 AM

35,839 posts, read 39,712,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
Typically the speed limit on the ramps is only35-45, though.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:15 PM

20,275 posts, read 34,692,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Typically the speed limit on the ramps is only35-45, though.
No one should go 35mph on an on ramp as they expect everyone behind them to also slow, thus creating an impediment for safe merging speed ON the highway. This happens ALL THE TIME in KC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or