Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 12:04 AM

158 posts, read 284,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Wow, two complimenting threads from a typical jocoer. Nice!

I was actually going to post to the OP that they will hear a lot of white trash/methlab/pitbull jokes, mostly from the JoCo crowd, but knew that would backfire. But this is the real deal!

So your saying you were going to tell the OP about the negative parts of Independence as well...

Stick to the Johnson County threads even though it sounds like you are extremely knowledgeable about Independence via KCTV5. Yet another thread that has nothing to do with Johnson County goes down in flames. Yippie.

Yeah unfortunately KCTV5 does give -all- of KC the news that goes on there, so what's your point.

One more thing while I am apart of the JoCo crowd, I dont personally find humor in discussing PARTS of the cities flaws. If you knew some one was going to say something about it why are you surprised.

Anyways-
If I were going to live on the MO side... AGAIN BTW... I would choose Lee's Summit or Blue Springs possibly, both very nice areas for families with great parks, people and schools.

FYI captain underoos in a bunch, never said ALL of Indy is full of Meth users oh no watch out, simply said watch out for CERTAIN areas of Indy that are in fact on the news...for a reason.

I am not from JoCo I just live there now bc I researched and found it fit for me and it was what I found offered my child the best education.Good luck to the OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 06:43 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,629 times
Quote:
I was curious and found that I actually posted in a thread or two coming to the defense of Olathe for similar reasons that I have done here with Independence.
Yeah, I know. You don't understand why Olathe has the rep that it does either.

I don't think "soccer moms" are the common denominator here.

Quote:
Independence is not perfect, but it does not deserve the media driven reputation it has and for some reason, most of that image comes from clear over in JoCo ....
Now THERE'S the common denominator ... BLAME JoCo!! There can be NOTHING in Indy that might have started or perpetuated the image that it has ALL OVER the metro. No, couldn't be, could it? Never? Not one eensy little thing?

(I have heard more negative things about Indy from people who LIVE there and in immediately surrounding ares than I ever have from people who don't.)

You're such a hypocrite.

Quote:
For the most part, I have noticed that residents of Liberty, Lee's Summit, Blue Springs etc respect Independence and do not portray it in the same mannor even though they do know parts of Indy have problems.
You are also completely delusional. What color is the sky in your world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniegurl View Post
I am not from JoCo I just live there now bc I researched and found it fit for me and it was what I found offered my child the best education.Good luck to the OP
Well, of course that's what you think you did. You poor poor brainwashed sheltered soccer mom.....

Old 10-22-2010, 07:26 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Great and recommend OP all you want. It's a great area with great schools. Why not leave it at that?

But so is southeast Independence and your post based on media drama that really has nothing in common with much of Independnece, was simply off base and unproductive to the topic.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:53 AM

158 posts, read 284,289 times
[quote=Samantha S;16355571]Yeah, I know. You don't understand why Olathe has the rep that it does either.

I don't think "soccer moms" are the common denominator here.

Now THERE'S the common denominator ... BLAME JoCo!! There can be NOTHING in Indy that might have started or perpetuated the image that it has ALL OVER the metro. No, couldn't be, could it? Never? Not one eensy little thing?

(I have heard more negative things about Indy from people who LIVE there and in immediately surrounding ares than I ever have from people who don't.)

You're such a hypocrite.

You are also completely delusional. What color is the sky in your world?

Well, of course that's what you think you did. You poor poor brainwashed sheltered soccer mom..... [/QUOTE

First get it right, I'm not a soccer mom... I'm a baseball/basketball Momma thanks very much. I work full time paying my bills and help my child with homework while cooking dinner and take out the trash, yeah I got skills! Also, if I'm NoT from JOCO an used to live in MO that means I'm sheltered some how?? NICE!

Second, how can you say "poor poor" I'm in JOCO Remember so that must mean I am wealthy and have a little dog on my arm while walking in my Gucci's right?? Just teasing... You all are so up tight on here, good luck with that.

OP alls you can do is come visit and see for yourself the different areas research online about the schools. Great schools.com is helpful.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 AM

I'm not one to assume a joco resident is wealthy just because they live in joco. I actually understand that joco has many areas across the income and wealth spectrum. Most of JoCo to me is "average suburbia". Wealthy doesn't always mean close sheltered and snobby. I lived near Riss Lake for a few years and the people seemed a little more clued into what's going on in and round KCMO.

A good buddy of mine lives in a nice part of Olathe and can't afford to furnish his home properly, but has a $750 car payment and has claimed bankruptcy and was able to wipe out his debt and keep everything he had bought. In Missouri, you can loose your house and will surly lose your cars and big screens. That was the only time I ever considered moving to Kansas after learning of the rather rampant way to wealth was via KS bankruptcy laws. Too bad they changed the laws. .

He has told me many times he would never live in MO. He say's he likes feeling safe at night walking in the neighborhood. He's serious and he's way over his head trying to keep up out there and has no money to do anything but "look the part" by driving nice cars and living in a mcmansion in "johnson county" (he never says olathe, just johnson county). I always give him a hard time about it. But his attitude is typical. He actually thinks that nothing outside of JoCo could possibly be as safe or have as good schools or appreciating home prices than JoCo. There is nothing you can say or do to convince him otherwise.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
First get it right, I'm not a soccer mom... I'm a baseball/basketball Momma thanks very much. I work full time paying my bills and help my child with homework while cooking dinner and take out the trash, yeah I got skills! Also, if I'm NoT from JOCO an used to live in MO that means I'm sheltered some how?? NICE!
Take a deep breath there, Jennie gurl-friend. I'm on your side.

I was being sarcastic toward kcmo.

Quote:
OP alls you can do is come visit and see for yourself
Agreed. It doesn't take long. JoCo certainly isn't for everyone. But it does have a lot to offer families and the differences among various areas of the metro are easy to see.

There are a few (recent) threads here where OPs asked about various areas of the metro. Researched, looked around, and then chose JoCo. But recommend JoCo on this forum (to someone looking for a great place to raise a family and the best schools, no less) and certain folks act like you just shot their dog.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
He has told me many times he would never live in MO. He say's he likes feeling safe at night walking in the neighborhood. He's serious and he's way over his head trying to keep up out there and has no money to do anything but "look like part". I always give him a hard time about it. But his attitude is typical. He actually thinks that nothing outside of JoCo could possibly be as safe or have as good schools or appreciating home prices than JoCo. There is nothing you can say or do to convince him otherwise.
Yeah ... dontcha just hate people who are so invested in their warped point of view that they refuse to see any kind of reasonable perspective?

Old 10-22-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Ta
There are a few (recent) threads here where OPs asked about various areas of the metro. Researched, looked around, and then chose JoCo. But recommend JoCo on this forum (to someone looking for a great place to raise a family and the best schools, no less) and certain folks act like you just shot their dog.
Just like there are threads where people chose Liberty or Lee's Summit or god forbid Independence. It's what the forum is for.

Recommend JoCo to someone looking for nice areas around metro? No problem.

Recommend JoCo to someone looking for nice areas around metro? And within the same five minutes slamming Independence in a thread where the OP specifically asked about Independence when you really know nothing about Independence other than what you hear on the news or from fellow JoCoers? Yea, could create a problem.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Recommend JoCo to someone looking for nice areas around metro? And within the same five minutes slamming Independence in a thread where the OP specifically asked about Independence when you really know nothing about Independence other than what you hear on the news or from fellow JoCoers? Yea, could create a problem.
She recommended reading the threads here
She recommended asking lots of questions
She (correctly) stated that the area has rough patches
She (correctly) stated that certain parts have a bad reputation
She mentioned some of the things one hears, and again recommended research.

This is "slamming"? Sounds to me like pretty good advice for any area.

Again ... I stand by my claim that you are hypersensitive to any kind of criticism of the MO side.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:13 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
I would def recommend these threads as well and ask TONS of questions. Not trying to offend any residents of Independence Mo. but seriously the area can have several rough patches. It has a horrible rep in certain parts of the town. You hear anything from Meth Cap to stories of children being attacked by pitbulls. Just choose your area wisely and do much research. Good luck!
Good advice, Jenniegurl.

City-Data.com 2008 crime indexes:

Overland Park, KS 164.7

Independence, MO 569.8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City