U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 AM

7,838 posts, read 9,679,903 times

Advertisements

^ haha, there is nothing worse than texas freeway frontage road sprawl. Houston is the absolute worst. You can drive 70mph and for hours from north to south and the scenery along the freeway just duplicates itself every couple of miles like one of those old kids toys with the continuous belt of scenery that loops behind the story being told.

There is nothing quite like that in metro KC. Mostly because commercial development tends to be more interspersed. Some along highways, some along arterials etc. While almost all commercial development in metropolitan areas of texas are on or very near those one way frontage roads.

There are a few stretches of 1970's fast food and strip mall corridors in KC. Metcalf north of 435, North Oak through Gladtone, Santa Fe in Olathe, 291 in Lee's Summit, Noland Road in Independence.

But Route 7 in Blue Springs seems to be more intense than most the others.

The good news is that Blue Springs has really cleaned up most of the corridor and after the corridor really started to show signs of blight and abandonment, the city has seen a lot of re-development. The corridor's strip malls are now mostly updated and leased, new development has come in and new buildings have replaced most of the older buildings with that comes less tacky signs etc which is surprising considering all the new more modern suburban commercial development that is occuring along Adams Dairy Parkway etc.

There is nothing worse than suburban commercial blight and decay. Especially when it's along high profile interstate frontage roads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:55 PM

805 posts, read 1,236,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

There is nothing worse than suburban commercial blight and decay.
Nothing? Not even a bucketful of smashed rectums and cottage cheese?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:03 AM

4,084 posts, read 2,290,899 times
Just one page to go from this....

Quote:
Yea, white castle fan here. But it's interesting that Jack in the Box is returning with initial locations in KCK, Overland Park and Blue Springs....
To this....

Quote:
There is nothing worse than suburban commercial blight and decay.
Who would have thought?

I was going to make a comment about Jack-in-the-Box, since they are huge out here and pretty good as fast food goes. But I knew that wouldn't be the topic for long.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 AM

864 posts, read 1,196,326 times
Quote:
Yea, white castle fan here. But it's interesting that Jack in the Box is returning with initial locations in KCK, Overland Park and Blue Springs.

Jack in the Box planning locations in Overland Park and Blue Springs | Dollars & Sense
For the Northland being the fastest growing area in KC... it sure doesn't get much love..

That said I had Jack in the Box for the first time in LA and San Diego a few months ago...and freakin loved it. For fast food its good. Tho if I have a few more mins I'll take 5 guys, town topic, or hays... but its nice to have a few other options to LCs, Big Burger, and Culvers when I just wanna drive up....

Does anyone still go to McDonalds for burgers anymore??

Last edited by skrizzle; 11-11-2010 at 09:18 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
For the Northland being the fastest growing area in KC... it sure doesn't get much love..

That said I had Jack in the Box for the first time in LA and San Diego a few months ago...and freakin loved it. For fast food its good. Tho if I have a few more mins I'll take 5 guys, town topic, or hays... but its nice to have a few other options to LCs, Big Burger, and Culvers when I just wanna drive up....

Does anyone still go to McDonalds for burgers anymore??
Jack-in-the-Box is good stuff. Much better, in my opinion, than In-N-Out which has a huge cult-like following out here.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:19 AM

8,890 posts, read 7,431,295 times
I can't wait to try Jack-In-The-Box! I don't remember them being here before; I guess that was when I was in college or something. I liked In-And-Out okay, but they weren't here long at all. A place where the drivethrough is always open sounds great, and I also like that the entire menu is available any time.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I can't wait to try Jack-In-The-Box! I don't remember them being here before; I guess that was when I was in college or something. I liked In-And-Out okay, but they weren't here long at all. A place where the drivethrough is always open sounds great, and I also like that the entire menu is available any time.
I don't remember them being there before either - I wonder what those past locations were. It also seems puzzling that they would have left, since I can't imagine that the KC market was anything but very lucrative and receptive to them.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:42 PM

12,062 posts, read 19,237,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I don't remember them being there before either - I wonder what those past locations were. It also seems puzzling that they would have left, since I can't imagine that the KC market was anything but very lucrative and receptive to them.
The franchise owner probably just went out of business.

The Star says: Jack in the Box had about seven restaurants in the Kansas City area in the mid-1970s, but they closed in 1980.

So they've been gone from KC for 30 years.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
The franchise owner probably just went out of business.

The Star says: Jack in the Box had about seven restaurants in the Kansas City area in the mid-1970s, but they closed in 1980.

So they've been gone from KC for 30 years.
Yes, I read the article.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:16 PM

3,133 posts, read 3,121,384 times
[quote=ykamom;16599181]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If you drive down Highway 7 in Blue Springs, I swear every single intersection either has a CVS, a Sonic, a Walgreens, a Chinese or otherwise pan-Asian restaurant, a nail salon, or some combination of all or most of the above. It always strikes, me...I'm like, "Didn't I just go through this intersection? A couple of times?"

I used to live in the Dallas/Fort Worth "Metroplex" and it was a hundred square miles like this. It has colored my whole view of the world. When I hear "suburb" this is what I am afraid of. There were wonderful things about that area of the country...we lived in a nice little corner of it and we had a great little community, wonderful friends, lovely church etc. But that aspect of it was just "soul-sucking" as my husband and I liked to say. I used to say that I would never run out of hand towels...there seemed to be a Linens and Things every mile and half.

I am really glad to hear that this seems remarkable to you, coming from the KC metro area. I do not want to end up in another place with a landscape like that. I think this is the kind of thing people really fear when they think of "sprawl." At least that is how it is for me.

I once drove from Chicago to Dallas. All of America is like that. We actually decided to eat only at independently owned restaurants on that trip, and we nearly starved to death. On the way down, we finally found a homegrown BBQ place somewhere in Oklahoma. They were getting ready to close, but they welcomed us in and fed us a feast. Best BBQ I ever had, and the nicest people too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City