U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 PM
 
1,662 posts, read 2,742,358 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
Sorry man, but Samantha and I have been here reading the same anti-Kansas tripe for over two years. And mostly reading it from the same two posters (GraniteStater, who used to go by the name Plains10, and kcmo), both of whom are notorious Kansas-bashers and who are also unfortunately two of the most prolific posters on this forum and the Kansas forum
Quote:
I guess "called out" means that there are a lot of Kansas-bashers here who are very loud and vocal, so if you even do something as benign as post an article with positive facts about Topeka, they do everything in their power to downplay it. All the while playing up their own largely meaningless anecdotes to justify their opinions.

Quote:
Eh, I get tired of these arguments. If you want to see real economic decline go to a state like Michigan, where there are counties with 20%+ unemployment. If you want to see real poverty, go to Appalachia or the Deep South. If you want to see a cancerous wasteland of unchecked over-development, go to any major city in Texas or Florida. On balance, Kansas is not that bad. But if you want to leave, by all means go! Stop trying to find negatives about the place and find your ideal place where it is you want to be and just go there.
Wow! If they gave an award for "Hitting the Nail on the Head" you would win 3 today!

Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2010, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Old Hyde Park, Kansas City,MO
1,145 posts, read 1,114,180 times
Reputation: 540
45 Billion for Omaha, that seems super low, considering Berkshire Hathaway is a huge company HQ in Omaha and Buffet is worth about 45 billion by himself.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
7,575 posts, read 9,202,445 times
Reputation: 3110
Well, I didn't look up any numbers, so year, I'm sure you are right. I did look up the data for the census though. It doesn't really change anything though. JoCo is the most important county of KS regardless of if it's 25% or 50% and JoCo is suburb of MO.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 01:55 PM
 
Location: KC
285 posts, read 481,746 times
Reputation: 235
It is a suburb of KC, for sure. I also agree with much of what has been said regarding using tax money to bring in business is out of control. However when it comes to Kansas being attached to KC for success, the same can be said for KC to Kansas. A lot of the industry that made KC is due to it's proximity to Kansas. So while Kansas is connected to KC, they are both a team rather than one only needing the other. I still say KC is more connected to Kansas than the majority of Missouri. That said, I sure wish we would act that way sometimes on this forum. In real life all the people I know don't really care about the state line.

In regards to KCK, man I sure do wish they would bring something in other than Government Jobs. Sure they help but how cool would it be for that downtown area to have some growth. Even if it was just the same amount as there is at Prairie Star pkwy and 435.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
7,575 posts, read 9,202,445 times
Reputation: 3110
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
It is a suburb of KC, for sure. I also agree with much of what has been said regarding using tax money to bring in business is out of control. However when it comes to Kansas being attached to KC for success, the same can be said for KC to Kansas. A lot of the industry that made KC is due to it's proximity to Kansas. So while Kansas is connected to KC, they are both a team rather than one only needing the other. I still say KC is more connected to Kansas than the majority of Missouri. That said, I sure wish we would act that way sometimes on this forum. In real life all the people I know don't really care about the state line.

In regards to KCK, man I sure do wish they would bring something in other than Government Jobs. Sure they help but how cool would it be for that downtown area to have some growth. Even if it was just the same amount as there is at Prairie Star pkwy and 435.
Couldn't agree more with any of that.

It's not just this forum though. You can find this debate all across the internet.

The reason is that this is not a topic people confront in person, but they will on-line. As much as I might post here, I wouldn't say any of this stuff to somebody in person. Nobody cares on that level. The internet is where people can get the word out on a grander scale and attack the issue, not a specific person directly, although it does get personal around here at times.

People need to know that there are people out there that don't agree with the idea of poaching businesses from KCMO. Does it make those that do it bad people? NO, that's not the point.

But maybe, just maybe, enough people will get on their soapboxes and make a difference and the people that do make decisions like that, can think twice about what they are doing. It may make no difference at all, but it shouldn't happen with zero debate and that is exactly what happened before the internet. I honestly think the internet is what got the MO side growing again. Before it was difficult to overcome the "move to JoCo, all the good schools are in KS, stay out of KCMO, the MO side is ghetto" etc. people used to hear in person. Now they can go to the internet and figure things out for themselves with far more information from more people.

There are comments just like I have posted on this very topic (AMC deal) all over the KC press forums (KC Star, TV station forums, facebook and other social networking forums like kcrag, tonys and many more).

A lot of people care about issues like this. Of course it's not a general topic of conversation in KC. You can live in KC and never so much as discuss a single bistate issue, I think people generally get along fine in real life in the metro and outsiders reading these forums should know that. (sticky this: this forum is not representative of social interaction across state line in KC. Generally, the state line is not an issue in everyday lives of Metro Kansas Citians ).

That doesn't mean those issues are not there though.

"So while Kansas is connected to KC, they are both a team rather than one only needing the other"

That is all I have ever wanted. Now you can push my buttons and I will slam Kansas, just as those that slam Missouri. But at the end of the day, all I ever wanted was to see the KC area get on the same page and most of the time, that idea brings aggresion from Kansans.

I don't think metro KC will ever get on the same page and because of that, I will tend to take a more pro KCMO stance on most issues.

If there was chance of cooperation at all, I would jump on that bandwagon no problem but it appears as though things only deteriorate and get worse by the year.

Last edited by kcmo; 11-18-2010 at 02:40 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 03:46 PM
 
400 posts, read 533,942 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Well, I didn't look up any numbers, so year, I'm sure you are right. I did look up the data for the census though. It doesn't really change anything though. JoCo is the most important county of KS regardless of if it's 25% or 50% and JoCo is suburb of MO.
LOL!! "Yeah, I mean, I just throw out numbers and when I'm called on it I just act like it really doesn't matter." That's what you sound like to me.

And brewcrew, the 45 billion GDP number for Omaha metro is correct. I got the numbers from the Bureau of Economic Analysis, where you can get GDP numbers for every state and metro area in the country.

U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) - bea.gov Home Page
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Madison, WI Metro Area
15,215 posts, read 20,786,865 times
Reputation: 7667
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
You and all your little friends here don't know what the hell they are talking about when it comes to really understanding the state of Kansas. You think you do, but you don't. Here's a prime example. While you and GraniteStater are busy bashing Topeka as a "dump" based on the pre-conceived and ill-conceived notions knocking around in your heads, Kiplinger Magazine was writing about Topeka as one of the Top 10 best cities for 2010:

Kiplinger.com

Here are some snippets:

But I bet Jefferson City is just to die for. St. Joe, too. That's where it's at. Topeka can't hold a candle to those boomtowns. Because, in your words, Topeka is "dump".
That is just one piece of anecdotal evidence. The ACTUAL NUMBERS of Topeka's economic trends over time tell the real story.

Shawnee County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

"Private nonfarm employment, percentage change 2000-2007 -10.9%"

Those are the numbers BEFORE this past recession hit between 2008-2010.

Now, let's compare the economy of Topeka with other metros in the Plains and Midwest.

Lincoln, NE: Lancaster County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

"Private nonfarm employment, percentage change 2000-2007 +4.0%"

Sioux Falls, SD: Minnehaha County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

"Private nonfarm employment, percentage change 2000-2007 +11.6%"

Fargo, ND: Cass County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

"Private nonfarm employment, percentage change 2000-2007 +27.1%

Rochester, MN: Olmsted County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

"Private nonfarm employment percentage change 2000-2007 +23.6%

Wausau, WI: Marathon County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

"Private nonfarm employment percentage change: 2000-2007 +7.7%

Cedar Rapids, IA: Linn County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

"Private nonfarm employment percentage change: 2000-2007 -3.5%

These are all cities that are QUITE SIMILAR to Topeka in terms of overall metro size as well as similar total amount of employment. All are doing substantially better than Topeka so far this century. Those are the facts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 06:20 PM
 
223 posts, read 150,735 times
Reputation: 243
You can't reason with Kansans who are content about where they live and who enjoy it here no matter how bad the numbers and facts are.. The only argument I can say is that Kansas does not have near the population density of Michigan and the poorest areas around Kentucky and West Virgina, so its not a fair comparison.. But trust me, Im sure many rural Northwest and North Central and Western Kansas counties are some of the poorest in the country as only the few strong survive and the rest mightily struggle or leave..

I'm done arguing anything else. The reason KCMO pisses so many off is because he's rather direct and has a clear urban bias.. I think most of his points are valid but he approaches his arguments in an upfront manner which angers many people.

Fact of the matter is though, Kansas has not shown any signs of addressing most of its issues anytime lately or soon and it will favor older people who are not going to be around forever. Its a scary combination I do not support at all and have finally started speaking out against after really wanting to live here the last several years (and trying to)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 07:00 PM
 
400 posts, read 533,942 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is just one piece of anecdotal evidence. The ACTUAL NUMBERS of Topeka's economic trends over time tell the real story.

Shawnee County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

"Private nonfarm employment, percentage change 2000-2007 -10.9%"

Those are the numbers BEFORE this past recession hit between 2008-2010.

Now, let's compare the economy of Topeka with other metros in the Plains and Midwest.

Lincoln, NE: Lancaster County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

"Private nonfarm employment, percentage change 2000-2007 +4.0%"

Sioux Falls, SD: Minnehaha County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

"Private nonfarm employment, percentage change 2000-2007 +11.6%"

Fargo, ND: Cass County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

"Private nonfarm employment, percentage change 2000-2007 +27.1%

Rochester, MN: Olmsted County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

"Private nonfarm employment percentage change 2000-2007 +23.6%

Wausau, WI: Marathon County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

"Private nonfarm employment percentage change: 2000-2007 +7.7%

Cedar Rapids, IA: Linn County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

"Private nonfarm employment percentage change: 2000-2007 -3.5%

These are all cities that are QUITE SIMILAR to Topeka in terms of overall metro size as well as similar total amount of employment. All are doing substantially better than Topeka so far this century. Those are the facts.
Well, knock me over with a feather. I can't argue with that. Clearly those cities are growing faster than Topeka.

I still have to stand firm on my objection to the blanket characterization of Topeka as a "dump", which was the whole reason I made any comments to begin with. Maybe if certain people would have presented their arguments with figures such as this, rather than making the blanket characterizations designed to do nothing but tear down a city's image, I would not have objected.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Madison, WI Metro Area
15,215 posts, read 20,786,865 times
Reputation: 7667
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
Well, knock me over with a feather. I can't argue with that. Clearly those cities are growing faster than Topeka.

I still have to stand firm on my objection to the blanket characterization of Topeka as a "dump", which was the whole reason I made any comments to begin with. Maybe if certain people would have presented their arguments with figures such as this, rather than making the blanket characterizations designed to do nothing but tear down a city's image, I would not have objected.
All of those cities are very similar in size to Topeka, so it is a very valid comparison. I was trying to find a few in the lower Midwest for comparison, but did not find any that were similar in size. Any positive PR ad touting Topeka can make a claim that "a few of our businesses are doing quite well, making great profits, and adding jobs." However, one has to take a look at the overall percentage economic impact that one large businsses has on a metro the size of Topeka (even with the ancillary benefits of economies of scale, benefiting other service industry businsses). The Topeka metro area continues to shed jobs- even though it has a decent pool of educated labor to draw from (somewhat better than the national average). This proves that the fundamental problem has more to do with the leadership that is running Topeka as well as a lack of attention the state of KS pays to areas outside the JOCO realm of influence. Wichita has certainly not fared much better than Topeka so far this century, although the job numbers weren't in the red between the 2000-2007 time period. The population growth in Wichita, however, did increase at a much faster rate than employment growth. This explains the increase in the percentage of residents living below the poverty line, as decreases in employment in metros like Wichita tend to disproportionally impact those that are in blue collar fields like manufacturing and related industries. As an economic geographer with a GIS background, one can't just interpret and analyze statistical data without seeing the larger economic, geographic, cultural, and social forces present that vary widely between metro areas.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top