Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 01:32 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times

Advertisements

You "should" have just as much interest and passion for the city to thrive as I do. I never lived downtown, I have lived in central city neighborhoods and MO side suburbs, but I have always wanted the central core of KCMO to be something I can be proud of.

I never got a rise out of its failures (or perceived failures) like so many KC area people do.

KCMO is your city too. It's just too bad so many people in KC seem to lean more toward your way of thinking.

Kinda sad.

I lived in St Louis, spent a year in Chicago and a year in Denver and now I'm in DC. It's like night and day. Metropolitan cooperation and civic pride actually exists. I kinda like it better that way.

Denver has many problems yet suburbanites seem to really like and have a lot of pride in the city. I have never seen people in another town enjoy watching their central city suffer like they do in KC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 02:02 PM

30 posts, read 68,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I lived in St Louis, spent a year in Chicago and a year in Denver and now I'm in DC. It's like night and day. Metropolitan cooperation and civic pride actually exists. I kinda like it better that way.
It occurs to me that this is similar to a problem many organizations face when given competition - mainly trying to address the competition head on in a winner takes all fashion. Frequently, the bet way to succeed is to pick something you are good at and focus on that, instead of picking something the opposition is good at. To wit, how many iPod killers have been announced and how are they doing now?

The DC area has several interesting areas depending on what you're looking for. Sure, Ballston in VA and downtown Silver Spring may have some similar features, but neither one is trying to become a new downtown or take away from any neighborhood in DC.

If the 'downtown' area of the Kansas City metro is on the MO side then trying to create a new downtown somewhere else is not going to work. The existing infrastructure is there. JoCo can be a great suburb and an economic engine in it's own right, but competing by trying to become a new downtown is a losers game for everyone.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:08 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,347 times
Quote:
You "should" have just as much interest and passion for the city to thrive as I do. I never lived downtown, I have lived in central city neighborhoods and MO side suburbs, but I have always wanted the central core of KCMO to be something I can be proud of.
Is OP a part of "the city"? Is it okay to be proud when OP does well? Or only when KC does well?

I realize it's a tough call when one doing well means that the other suffers, but your perspective is so one-sided, it's impossible to reconcile.

Your emotions about KC as your hometown completely obscure your viewpoint.

Quote:
I never got a rise out of its failures (or perceived failures) like so many KC area people do.
Admitting failures and learning from them is not the same as "getting a rise" from them.

Quote:
KCMO is your city too.
Yep. And owning up to mistakes made in the past is the first step to improvement!

Quote:
It's just too bad so many people in KC seem to lean more toward your way of thinking.

Kinda sad.
Right back at ya!

Quote:
Again, cooperation is something that happens to the mutual benefit of all parties. It's not something you can force to happen just because you wish it would.

Quote:
Denver has many problems yet suburbanites seem to really like and have a lot of pride in the city. I have never seen people in another town enjoy watching their central city suffer like they do in KC.
This is a strawman you have created so that you have a scapegoat. I don't know anyone who enjoys watching KC suffer. And I don't believe you do either.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:13 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbobjoe View Post
If the 'downtown' area of the Kansas City metro is on the MO side then trying to create a new downtown somewhere else is not going to work. The existing infrastructure is there. JoCo can be a great suburb and an economic engine in it's own right, but competing by trying to become a new downtown is a losers game for everyone.
JoCo is not trying to become the new "urban core". I don't believe this has ever been a goal. And I agree, it would be silly.

JoCo set out to become a great corporate suburb. They have done that and continue to do that. Unfortunately, KC has not done as great a job at being an urban core. And now the scales have tipped and more may slide over to JoCo than was originally anticipated by either side.

Will enough slide over to destroy KC? I doubt it. I hope not. But it will take more than whining and scapegoating on the part of KC to make see that it doesn't.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:21 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
Does Detroit have a mini downtown in the suburbs? It looks like they have tons of suburbs, even most of their stadiums/arenas where located in the burbs but not most have moved back into the urban core?

Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbobjoe View Post
It occurs to me that this is similar to a problem many organizations face when given competition - mainly trying to address the competition head on in a winner takes all fashion. Frequently, the bet way to succeed is to pick something you are good at and focus on that, instead of picking something the opposition is good at. To wit, how many iPod killers have been announced and how are they doing now?

The DC area has several interesting areas depending on what you're looking for. Sure, Ballston in VA and downtown Silver Spring may have some similar features, but neither one is trying to become a new downtown or take away from any neighborhood in DC.

That's just it. JoCo could be an asset to KCMO rather than an enemy and the other way around. If JoCo were a more of a true economic engine and less of an economic leach, we wouldn't be having the conversation. If KC were truly one metropolitan area that worked together, maybe the area could actually compete with Denver, Dallas, Minneapolis etc rather than compete within itself. Will anybody beside residents be paying taxes in metro KC in 25 years?

Also, speaking of Silver Spring. Sprint could have done for KCK what Discover Channel did for Silver Spring, only on a scale about tens times what Discover Channel did.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:

KCMO is your city too. It's just too bad so many people in KC seem to lean more toward your way of thinking.

Kinda sad.

Ah, but there you are wrong....I love the KC Metro area and support ALL of it.
I put a lot of money into the KCMO venues annually ....new years at the down town hotels, plaza trips, ww1 memorial, zoo memberships, Royals, Chiefs, Symphony....the whole metro is a true joy.

Ironically, I've been told that because I live in the burbs (20 minutes from downtown in no traffic) that somehow I'm "against" KCMO and can't share in it's wonderfulness...want me to find the thread?

I'm a transplant, I don't buy into the ignorance of the cross state rivalry and make ridiculous statements saying KS people are anti-MO but the reverse isn't true. Want me to point to that thread? (My co-workers hubby HATES Kansas and refuses to ever live in KS, I almost fell over...I can't wrap my brain around that kind of thinking.)

When you find yourself blaming other parts of the metro, labeling the residents with blanket statements, popping up in their forums to belittle the other areas....you are part of the problem and not the solution.

I'm well aware that we are all in it together and I put my money where my mouth is.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:31 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I put a lot of money into the KCMO venues annually ....new years at the down town hotels, plaza trips, ww1 memorial, zoo memberships, Royals, Chiefs, Symphony....the whole metro is a true joy.

Ironically, I've been told that because I live in the burbs (20 minutes from downtown in no traffic) that somehow I'm "against" KCMO and can't share in it's wonderfulness...want me to find the thread?

I'm a transplant, I don't buy into the ignorance of the cross state rivalry and make ridiculous statements saying KS people are anti-MO but the reverse isn't true. Want me to point to that thread? (My co-workers hubby HATES Kansas and refuses to ever live in KS, I almost fell over...I can't wrap my brain around that kind of thinking.)

When you find yourself blaming other parts of the metro, labeling the residents with blanket statements, popping up in their forums to belittle the other areas....you are part of the problem and not the solution.

I'm well aware that we are all in it together and I put my money where my mouth is.
Good post....a much needed voice of reason and moderation in a thread full of the usual myopic territoriality, extremism, and abrasion.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

You can quote me where ever you want. I stand by what I post.

How can you defend and justify the actions of Kansas in the metro area? I would love to hear an honest, well thought out answer to this question. Address the topic of this very thread. Why does Kansas find it necessary to throw tens of millions of dollars to lure yet another company a few miles across state line, especially when that company didn't even play the KS vs MO incentive game in the first place.

If you truly had the best interest of the metro at heart, you would see how unproductive and destructive this is to KC.

You don't sound much like a transplant anyway with many of your anti kcmo comments you have posted, of which I could also quote. Sure, you take advantage of the assets that KCMO offers. Great.

But then you look the other way on issues like this thread, where you continue to take the high road.

I don't care if you live in Lee's Summit or Lenexa. The practice of poaching companies from KC is terrible and it's something you don't see with such aggression in most metro areas that have some level of cooperation and respect within the metro.

You can have plenty of respect and passion for Overland Park, but then you should know when to say "shame on you" when that city sets out to lure a longtime company from downtown KCMO.

It's unnecessary.

My father called today and asked if I have heard what's going on in KC. He was talking about how Kansas is luring over so many KCMO companies. We didn't talk much more about, but the point is that people are taking notice in this recent up tick in aggression by Kansas and it will only make the KS vs MO thing worse creating more resentment and more friction. While other metro areas come together as one. KC digs a deeper trench along state line.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:30 PM

91 posts, read 213,397 times
It's sad the Kansas side has to leach off Kansas City, Missouri. Regardless of how anyone tries to spin it, it's leaching. Luring businesses away from the anchor of a metropolitan area is leaching. The suburbs could very well be killing their host and it wont be good for the entire area.

KCMO is right, if the metro worked together it would be an extremely brilliant place to live.

Sadly, each side of the metro hates each other and each side is to blame for it. KC is a unique case, as it spans two states in a way no other metro does, and the 160 year old Kansas-Missouri rivalry (rivalry is an understatement in that sense) makes cooperating very hard. Missouri has to be better than Kansas, Kansas has to be better than Missouri and it tears the fabric of the metro area apart.

I love the Kansas-Missouri rivalry as much as anybody. I'm a Mizzou fan. I love to see Kansas lose, even if it's just one game so I can laugh at them. I will defend Missouri drivers and say that Johnson county drivers are the worst ever, but in reality, I'd love to see every part of the metro work together and make the Kansas City Metro Area one of the best places in the country. Even in it's current state, it's a great place to live, generally nice, and there's a lot to do. But it could be even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City