U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-16-2010, 03:08 PM

248 posts, read 164,449 times

Advertisements

Samantha,

Have you only lived in Johnson county your whole life? And how old are you? My first post in this thread showed how Kansas is literally running off people under 40 anymore.. This state be wise to attract the younger demographics and retain them.. Many people my age are leaving Kansas in droves to Dallas, Chicago, KCMO, Minneapolis, LA, Houston etc... Many of the ones I know who stay, generally got married young and had kids.. I'm not trying to sound negative but I can't think of any other way to say this.

Earlier you said, what would I do to fix the problem.. Well I'm not the answer man when it comes to this, I have no desires to run for public office either.. But what Kansas has done is put all its eggs in one basket with its approach the last 20-30 years. If I had a leg infection and it was slowly getting worse, I could take drugs to make it feel better and make the pain better and put a band aid on it.. (The Kansas and US approach to economics the last 20-30 years) Or I could get it treated and it may be a rough process short term, but I'll be better off long term instead of losing my leg or dying..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 03:10 PM

7,819 posts, read 9,671,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
I've lived in KS quite a bit longer than you have. Most of KS doesn't give JoCo a second thought. I've not met anyone who harbored the kind of resentment I've seen from MO.
Of course you haven't. You never do.

I sit next to somebody in DC that is FROM Manhattan, KS.

She and I have fun with with a minor sports rivaly (MU vs Kstate) even though neither of us really care.

I think she dislikes JoCo more than I do. I would guess for different reasons, but she has told me that she can't stand people from there that went to Kstate.

There is one example that is as recent as it could possibly be.

People FROM Lawrence? (not JoCo KU supporters) Yea, they don't like JoCo in the least.

Others are when I have traveled to many of the small towns for business in KS from the Flint Hills to Great Bend to Independence. Trust me, not too fond of good ol JoCo. They feel like JoCo gets all the attention (and money) and they are ignored.

Want to know the real ironic thing? Nearly everybody from outside of JoCo I have met tend to have more general respect for Kansas City, MO than most the people I know that are from Johnson County. That is a fact.

Last edited by kcmo; 11-16-2010 at 03:18 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 03:20 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,163,823 times
AMC is a private company but it looks like an IPO will be on the horizon so this all really could be in limbo if it's a public company

Old 11-16-2010, 03:29 PM

400 posts, read 552,820 times
I see the border war is still raging strong here. This thread is just insane. I can't even make sense of it all anymore.

The supreme irony of all of this is that it was largely Missourians who built Johnson County. It was developers from Kansas City, Missouri, such as J.C. Nichols and William Strang, who built and promoted Johnson County as a desirable residential area to which people could flee from the city. So don't blame it on "Kansans". Johnson County was farm country until J.C. Nichols got a hold of it. You guys did it to yourselves.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:34 PM

248 posts, read 164,449 times
Yea Freestater.. You read things really clearly buddy.. Ive lived in Kansas 28+ years...

Old 11-16-2010, 03:49 PM

1,662 posts, read 2,818,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Samantha,

Have you only lived in Johnson county your whole life?
I grew up in Western KS, graduated from K-State and now live in JoCo. I have family all over the state, although few in the SW corner.

Quote:
And how old are you?
Where are your Kansas manners?! You don't ask a lady that question!

Quote:
My first post in this thread showed how Kansas is literally running off people under 40 anymore.. This state be wise to attract the younger demographics and retain them.
Agreed, but there is very little outside of the KC area to do that.

I'm not sure Kansas is in a position to revamp agriculture and manufacturing and make it attractive to college grads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Others are when I have traveled to many of the small towns for business in KS from the Flint Hills to Great Bend to Independence. Trust me, not too fond of good ol JoCo. They feel like JoCo gets all the attention (and money) and they are ignored.
Yes, I know many feel this way. But even those out in the boonies understand the vital role JoCo plays in the economy of the state. They wish there was something Kansas could do to revive the dying farm or manufacturing towns too. It's frustrating, but I've not heard resentment toward the people of JoCo from anywhere in KS. (I'm sure you have though! You can hear "JoCo sucks!" within the pitter patter of the rain! )

Old 11-16-2010, 03:50 PM

7,819 posts, read 9,671,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
I see the border war is still raging strong here. This thread is just insane. I can't even make sense of it all anymore.

The supreme irony of all of this is that it was largely Missourians who built Johnson County. It was developers from Kansas City, Missouri, such as J.C. Nichols and William Strang, who built and promoted Johnson County as a desirable residential area to which people could flee from the city. So don't blame it on "Kansans". Johnson County was farm country until J.C. Nichols got a hold of it. You guys did it to yourselves.
What does this have to do with anything? I'm sure the suburbs around many cities were developed by residents of the central city.

First off, NE JoCo is fine. Most people there have strong feelings for KCMO. Whenever regional tax polls etc are done, that area of JoCo supports measures like that by like 80%. Much if not most of the donations that come from JoCo to KCMO projects like the Arts Center come from that area. Leaders from that area tend to have more respect for KCMO and are more supportive of regional cooperation. Out of all of the people I know or have interacted with from JoCo, those that respect and appreciate KCMO live in that area of JOCO.

All of that is now totally overshadowed by JoCo outside of 435 (and west of 35) where people oppose regional cooperation by over 70%. Lawmakers from Olathe and Lenexa have even brought bills to Topeka to NEVER ask for a bistate tax again for any reason. They have aggressively killed attempts at a regional transit plan etc.

JoCo is a different animal now that most of the people and its economy are now outside of NE JoC and the people of NE JoCo get a bad rap over it.

Last edited by kcmo; 11-16-2010 at 04:11 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 04:05 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,163,823 times
Kind of like this magazine, lol
435 South The Magazine of South Johnson County : Home
I actually love NE JoCO and wouldn't mind living there at all, I pretty much hate anything south of 435.

Let me ask you this. Lets say KCMO was in Kansas. Would this PEAK program try to lure AMC to Overland Park or Olathe, would they do it in their own state?

Old 11-16-2010, 04:25 PM

3,328 posts, read 5,044,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
So if a company is "hideously unhappy" with their situation in downtown KC and the majority of their employees live in JoCo, THEN is it okay for JoCo to make them an offer?

I'm betting there will be a reason not ...

I seriously doubt that very many of the companies who have moved were terribly unhappy with KC, MO. It isn't in that bad a shape.
Also, judging by the heavy flow of traffic from MO to JoCo in the mornings, I'd say there's a very large number of people (if not a simple majority in some cases) who work for those companies and choose not to live in Overland Park.
JoCo is very aggressive in what they're doing. In some cases they have capitalized on MO's mistakes. In others, they have just gotten greedy. Power hungry. Some in JoCo want it to be the hub, and they don't care how they get there or what consequences it brings.
Having vast swaths of abandonment, blight and poverty benifits no one. It breeds crime, and that crime eventually spills into those areas people moved to in order to escape it. Keep going down this road, Miami county becomes the next Johnson county, and Johnson county is the next Jackson, bad parts included.

Enough of all that. Truth be told, downtown is thriving in it's own way right now even against the odds. Even during the recession, development of new condos hasn't stopped. More and more buildings are being converted to lofts. Developers know their market, and people are moving in. It would be nice if jobs would follow.
The only thing I'd do differently is add more family-friendly neighborhood options. This is the midwest.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:26 PM

30,874 posts, read 19,154,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
That's right. I took advantage of it too. I was a member of Friends of the Zoo, and Science City. I had Royals and Chiefs season tickets, I went to the festivals, the theaters, starlight, concerts at Sprint, I use KCI, went to all the museums regularly etc and continued to do so after moving to the suburbs and continue to do so now even though I don't even live there any more.

So what?

Does that mean I would support the corporate leaching that KS is doing?
Does that mean I would not support regional funding for attractions like the zoo and stadiums and museums and transit even if I lived in Lee's Summit?

You see, this is where we differ...
The fact that you didn't even respond to my quote where I also disagreed with the company poaching...TWICE NOW...is sad.

Yeah, we differ on being respectful to each other.

I completely disagree with comments that Missouri should repeal statutory rape laws as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City