Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
I know a bunch of people that live in that area South KC, there are some decent apartments on like 103rd and Wornall that are fairly cheap. You might even find nicer and quieter places in Martin City like around Red Bridge and Holmes. The Mission Farms area might be kind of a expensive, that 200-300 in savings a month could be used for so many things like visiting friends/family back in Miami or going out to eat/clubs.

What part of Miami did you live in? If you lived in a dense area like Brickell/Design District Area, you might want to start looking on the plaza, because thats about as close as you will get to something comparable in density, and safety.
Oh, definitely. But even that far south, the MO side has a slightly more "urban" feel to it than the KS side. So my point was that if you strictly want suburban (new, less grit, less diverse, more shopping, less grit), than the KS side is going to offer that.

We lived in the Willow Creek Apartments at 435 and Wornall for two years and really enjoyed it. But it will have a different feel than a new complex at 135th and Nall. There are city buses, it's more diverse, it's a bit more densely developed, the commercial development nearby is a bit more gritty, especially in Waldo. That can be intimidating to some people. There is a pretty big difference between living at 100th and Wornall and 117th and Antioch.

Although Martin City might have some newer very similar developments to JoCo at a lower price than the KS side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 11:16 AM

8 posts, read 22,709 times
Thanks everyone for the Info!!! I was looking at the plaza through google Earth and it looks like a nice place for me, It resembles Miami in some ways, I need something with a lot of life and movement since I would be away from my family and living by myself for the first time.

Does anybody know if the commute from St. Joseph Medical center to the Plaza is bad?

Thanks!!

Old 11-18-2010, 11:24 AM

10-15 Minute commute down Ward Parkway and State Line. Not bad at all.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:43 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
<sigh>

Sorry, I don't get it. Is something I said false?

Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
10-15 Minute commute down Ward Parkway and State Line. Not bad at all.
Or you can follow Ward Parkway until it ends on Wornall, then take Wornall to Carodelet Drive.

But if you're going to live on the Plaza, try to get inside parking. A lot of people I know who have lived down there have had their cars broken into, to steal ridiculously stupid stuff.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:05 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
This is another place that i would consider. This complex has tons of young professionals and pretty much all of them are transplants from other states. They also have a nice fitness center in the complex. Also you can walk to martini corner from here and it's a safe one block walk. One bar here called the Velvet Dog is really cool and reminds me of a big city bar like in Miami, Chicago or LA
Leasing in Union Hill

Old 11-18-2010, 01:09 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
If it were me, I'd live in Johnson County just west of the hospital. But that's because I prefer Kansas, prefer Johnson County, and I think it's safer (not that it's really UNSAFE around the hospital). I'm also not young and single, though. The commute from the Plaza to SJ isn't bad, but there's more crime there than the suburbs.

My husband lives in Kansas and works in Missouri. The taxes are kind of a hassle, having to file two state returns, but lots of people do it. To me it's the price we have to pay to live in Johnson County where we want to live instead of in Missouri.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:40 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
I have known about 20 people in my 6 years of living in KC who were young professional transplants from big cities from like New York, Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis. Of the ones 7 or so that lived in Johnson County they all hated it and moved back after less then one year of living there, some where flat out depressed living in that area because it was so boring/bland but the others who lived in the more urban areas like the Plaza, Westport have all stayed in KC and are loving it. I am not sure it's a correlation or not but it's just a little food for thought.

Typically, the ones who live on the Kansas side are from smaller farm towns in Kansas and think it's "The City" when in fact it's far from it.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:40 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,107 times
Quote:
I have known about 20 people in my 6 years of living in KC who were young professional transplants from big cities from like New York, Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis. Of the ones 7 or so that lived in Johnson County they all hated it and moved back after less then one year of living there, some where flat out depressed living in that area because it was so boring/bland but the others who lived in the more urban areas like the Plaza, Westport have all stayed in KC and are loving it. I am not sure it's a correlation or not but it's just a little food for thought.

Typically, the ones who live on the Kansas side are from smaller farm towns in Kansas and think it's "The City" when in fact it's far from it.
Well ... it doesn't take long to learn what "the city" really is. But it's true that for those coming from a more rural area that the suburbs are more comfortable for living in than the city is.

I love big vibrant cities. But I could never live in one for very long. I gotta have my elbow room!! I don't like listening to my neighbors peeing! But it's great being close enough to enjoy all that the city offers. So the burbs were a good fit for me even as a young single.

But certainly if you are used to living in a bustling city, JoCo might well be WAY too boring for you.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:

I have seen this happen too. I don't blame JoCo for it though, I blame the people for just assuming that JoCo was the only way of life in KC.

How difficult is it to get out and explore a city. I guess I can understand when everybody around you is from JoCo and they all like it and entertainment is going to the local strip mall bar and grill to watch college sports. Been there, done that.

I have had to show people around KC that moved from other cities that settled in JoCo and quickly became down on the city.

We hired a young guy from the Bay area and I remember him calling KC "a giant farm" haha, He lived and worked in OP (when I worked there). He moved back to San Fran and just hated everything about Kansas City even though he knew nothing about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City