U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:08 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,031,787 times
A lot of that could be the workers who work in these suburban office parks probably are telling these big city transplants to not go on the Missouri Side or something like that and that its scary.

A lot of people in the burbs really just do not have a clue, they just make conclusions from whats happening in the news which is 95% domestic related. I once asked someone at my work who lives in Northern Independence why the River near downtown isn't more park friendly or built up and her only response was "It's probably because of the all dead bodies they throw in the river" This is the kind of ignorance that happens when you are cooped up in your home watching the news, CSI, Law and Order, NCIS, NYPD Blue, Hawaii 5 O, Dateline, 48 Hours Mystery, Court TV, and so on.

I will say this to the OP, the ghetto in KC is noticeable but I think it's 10 times better then places like Miami Gardens or Liberty City in Suburban Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 03:28 PM

1,662 posts, read 2,620,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
A lot of that could be the workers who work in these suburban office parks probably are telling these big city transplants to not go on the Missouri Side or something like that and that its scary.

A lot of people in the burbs really just do not have a clue,....

Does it ever end?

There are a great many people who work in those suburban office parks who live all over the metro. Ever notice all that traffic flowing in from all directions?

Wouldn't those people have the same opportunities to talk?

Some people just aren't very adventurous. Why must this also be the fault of the people of JoCo?

Wow ... you know, I never realized just how POWERFUL JoCo is!!! I think we really need to tap into this more! JoCo not only has the sole power to shape the economic picture of the entire metro, we can even control the personal lives of everyone who lives here too!!!

Now if we would only learn to use our power for good instead of evil .... naaaaa ... that wouldn't be any fun!! BWAAAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 03:42 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,031,787 times
When did i ever mention the people of JoCo, it's people at my work in Eastern Jackson County that have said this and think KC is this big bad scary place. One guy at my work thought I was nuts for walking home from Chubbys on 38th and Broadway at 3 in the morning. One guy at my work even mentioned that if he ever has to go into KC that he brings a gun. I probably should have said Kansas City South of the River and not Missouri, sorry.

We have one guy on our softball who grew up in rural missouri and thought we shouldn't play at Liberty memorial because its "Bad" After playing one season at that park his opinion changed very quickly and loves playing there.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:01 PM

12,062 posts, read 17,820,187 times
I will second (or third?) the suggestions of others and reccomend the Plaza. It's a very good place to start as a transplant. It's dense, safe, walkable and will have far more younger, single people than other parts of the metro you might look at.

Having lived in Chicago, I always feel like the Plaza is a bit "city-lite" for my tastes and it's starting to have far too many chains, but it's got a lot to offer, and once you got to know and love some of the other city neighborhoods better, you could always move, perhaps after your first year.

I live about a mile form the Plaza now in a neighborhood called Volker and I've also lived in Westport (in a real cute, updated apartment complex that might interest you!). Feel free to ask any questions you might have!

Old 11-18-2010, 05:09 PM

16,348 posts, read 12,954,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewgradRN View Post
Does anybody know if the commute from St. Joseph Medical center to the Plaza is bad?

Thanks!!
It's totally fine. I made almost this exact commute when I first moved to KC, actually a little longer, from the Plaza to further east on 103rd, and it was never any problem at all. 20 minutes on a bad day.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM

16,348 posts, read 12,954,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Well ... it doesn't take long to learn what "the city" really is. But it's true that for those coming from a more rural area that the suburbs are more comfortable for living in than the city is.
Interesting. I grew up on a farm where the nearest town had a population of 350 and no services, and I've always found city living to be completely comfortable, both in KC and elsewhere in much larger cities. Certainly no less so than my current suburban address. I've never personally found any truth to the whole "rural folk uncomfortable in the city" routine, as a longtime member of the "rural folk" cohort, myself. I bet I'm not the only country person who digs the city just fine and finds it completely comfortable for living.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:04 PM

55 posts, read 63,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabularasa View Post
i bet i'm not the only country person who digs the city just fine and finds it completely comfortable for living.
+1 x

Old 11-19-2010, 09:26 PM

9 posts, read 12,804 times
Coming from a big city, I would hesitate to recommend JOCO. I lived there most of my life until I moved a few months ago. It is great in that it is safe and you can get a newer place, but it doesn't offer much as far as things to do. By the time I moved I was also sick of the overwhelming amount of materialism and ignorance in the area. Obviously, not everyone is like that, but it is extremely prevalent. Not what I would have wanted at 24.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City