U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:35 PM

16,362 posts, read 12,962,901 times
It's who's fault that you accepted a job without this knowledge? And who exactly is forcing you to continue to work there and continue to pay the tax if you so vehemently disagree with it?

Bottom line - you don't involuntarily pay this tax if you are voluntarily working in KCMO. By virtue of choosing to work here, you are volunteering to accept the taxation for whatever benefit you obtain through working in the city.

Are you also this ticked off about the sales taxes you pay on items you purchase when you are traveling in other communities and states? When you grab something to eat while you are apparently shackled to your job and forcibly detained, kicking and screaming, on the MO side of the state line? Where's the representation there?

Also, it's nice of you to colonize Missouri.

(To the OP - sorry you're having to sift through the ever-present debate...but I think you probably see a little bit of what I was talking about earlier.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 02:07 PM

216 posts, read 302,058 times
Skrizzle has said it beautifully in a nutshell, and what I intended when I mentioned the whole thing. Again, I respect that someone may DISLIKE the etax, even want it abolished, etc. But, as described earlier in Skirzzle's post and others, I think the comparison is strained at the least. And dangerous, at the outside. Just because we OBJECT to things, does not make them unjust. The colonists were dealing with injustices we can hardly imagine... and that justified their rebellion. I don't see a parallel here, or in general with the current objections to taxation.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:58 PM

12,062 posts, read 17,824,602 times
The grocery stores here are definitely subpar. Hen House is probably the nicest -- the one in Leawood particularly -- but even they have disappointed me.

The Cosentino's in Brookside is very nice, but I'd disagree that it's a specialty market. They definitely have everything a supermarket should have. Their produce selection is very good, their meat counter is fresh and the employees are on their game -- rarely do you see unstocked shelves.

And it's really only a small percentage more expensive than other metro grocery stores.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:01 PM

12,062 posts, read 17,824,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
Just because we OBJECT to things, does not make them unjust.
Great line!

I also want to ask one question. If an e-tax is taxation w/o representation, in what way is a sales tax different? Or a hotel/tourism tax? The vast majority of people staying in KC's hotel rooms certainly didn't vote to make those taxes so.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 PM

14,967 posts, read 19,682,705 times
Grocery stores that are MUCH BETTER than anything in KC include: Wegmans and Hannafords.
Those two grocery stores are unbelievably good. KC just doesn't have a top-line grocery store. Specialty niche market stores like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods don't count.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 PM

2,865 posts, read 2,469,603 times
I'm on a rant lately about this, and today isno different. I think the infrastructure in Kansas City MO is horrendous. Another day, another water main break, or a gas main break, or a sewer backup. How many hundreds of these stories have we heard this year alone? And people aren't incensed? Today's disaster was a main break that entombed someone's house in ice, and the homeowner seemed more interested in his 15 minutes of fame than he was about damage to his home. I was speechless when I saw him on camera. A friend in KC lost all her kids' baby clothes and family photos in September when sewers backed up after a half inch of rain. The city's explanation? "Maybe some leaves in the sewers." Uh, yeah, that's what happens in the fall, and it isn't an acceptable explanation from the city.

These are expensive and dangerous faults in the city's infrastructure. Last week when a water main and gas line popped at the same time (because they were placed too close together to begin with), people on the news just reported it as if it were no big deal, even though the whole neighborhood was evacuated for most of the day. Why was a gas line EVER run that close to a water line???

For this reason alone, I'd avoid KCMO. It's like a ticking time bomb, IMO, and resolving these problems doesn't seem to be a top priority of city, county or state government. I would love to be hearing about stimulus money and jobs coming to Kansas City, to fix what's broken and prevent homeowners from devastating floods and sewer backups...but I never hear a word about it. I just see this idiot on television laughing about the fact that his entire house is covered in three inches of ice, and dumb reporters calling it a "winter wonderland". I'll bet that guy's insurance company sees it differently.

See? Told you I was on a rant about this.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,393 times
To the OP:

Maybe look at Parkville (MO side), 10 min drive to 2 different nice shopping centers (Zona Rosa and Legends), awesome schools (though you said you didn't care, but still), some nice older homes in and around downtown (and it's a legitimate downtown, if small), with lots of suburbs for those that want that.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:48 PM

91 posts, read 97,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I'm on a rant lately about this, and today isno different. I think the infrastructure in Kansas City MO is horrendous. Another day, another water main break, or a gas main break, or a sewer backup. How many hundreds of these stories have we heard this year alone? And people aren't incensed? Today's disaster was a main break that entombed someone's house in ice, and the homeowner seemed more interested in his 15 minutes of fame than he was about damage to his home. I was speechless when I saw him on camera. A friend in KC lost all her kids' baby clothes and family photos in September when sewers backed up after a half inch of rain. The city's explanation? "Maybe some leaves in the sewers." Uh, yeah, that's what happens in the fall, and it isn't an acceptable explanation from the city.

These are expensive and dangerous faults in the city's infrastructure. Last week when a water main and gas line popped at the same time (because they were placed too close together to begin with), people on the news just reported it as if it were no big deal, even though the whole neighborhood was evacuated for most of the day. Why was a gas line EVER run that close to a water line???

For this reason alone, I'd avoid KCMO. It's like a ticking time bomb, IMO, and resolving these problems doesn't seem to be a top priority of city, county or state government. I would love to be hearing about stimulus money and jobs coming to Kansas City, to fix what's broken and prevent homeowners from devastating floods and sewer backups...but I never hear a word about it. I just see this idiot on television laughing about the fact that his entire house is covered in three inches of ice, and dumb reporters calling it a "winter wonderland". I'll bet that guy's insurance company sees it differently.

I've only been commuting for a little over 4 months now, and twice a water main has broken on 169, closing down what is (I think) the busiest bridge in the city. It's ridiculous.

Although it did give me a chance to take the new Christopher Bond bridge, which will look quite nice when it's finished.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:04 PM

145 posts, read 203,994 times
State is irrelevant, it's about what kind of neighborhood you want, and a great variety can be found on both sides of the state line. Beware of people who try to convince you with absolutes.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 PM

145 posts, read 203,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post

Older areas have infrastructure problems, period. The Kansas City media hypes everything up to the point that susceptible people become paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City