Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:48 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I agree 100% with kcmo regarding the fact that KCI NEEDS A NEW TERMINAL!!! Time to move out of the dark ages of the 1970s. Oh, and whoever redesigned the lighting several years back in the terminals must have been out of their mind. It is the most poorly lit medium sized airport in the entire country.
Dark ages of the 1970s? That's an interesting comment considering that the foundation for America's demise was laid in the 80s during the Reagan years. The demise that continues as we speak into waters uncharted in our recent history.

Most of the 70s were good years compared to what we're dealing with today and life quality was far superior for many. So what would prompt you to use that term?

KCI was a bold new innovative concept designed for the maximum convenience of sane air travelers. So now that our world has gone mad and the PC police have decided that the way to ensure our safety is to grope every granny from Grand Island, the 1970s are the dark ages?

If only the wisdom and common sense of the 70s were still legal....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,869,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Let's just stop right there, because with it you've covered about 99% of what matters.
They liked Kemper too and most people didn't want a new arena, for the same reasons they are scared of a new airport terminal. Where will we park at a downtown arena? How can little ol KC pay for it and why do we need it anyway?

Kemper is fine! Kemper was fine in 1972, but not in 2002.

Sprint Center was practically forced down people's throats and it would not have happened if Barnes was not so passionate for it.

People didn't understand why the Big 12 left, why KC was no longer a stop on most concert tours etc.

KCI is fine. “I like the short walk”. That's all people can comprehend. They don't understand that a new terminal would benefit them just as much as out of town travelers, let alone give KC a better image and corporations more reasons to choose KC as a business location.

But keep the old terminal an keep those short walks. God knows Kansas citians walk enough already and couldn't possibly use that extra five minute walk to an airport gate.

Last edited by kcmo; 01-04-2011 at 09:37 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 08:52 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Dark ages of the 1970s? That's an interesting comment considering that the foundation for America's demise was laid in the 80s during the Reagan years. The demise that continues as we speak into waters uncharted in our recent history.

Most of the 70s were good years compared to what we're dealing with today and life quality was far superior for many. So what would prompt you to use that term?

KCI was a bold new innovative concept designed for the maximum convenience of sane air travelers. So now that our world has gone mad and the PC police have decided that the way to ensure our safety is to grope every granny from Grand Island, the 1970s are the dark ages?

I was referring mostly to architecture and not economy. I didn't care for a lot of the commercial nor residential trends in building and architecture in the 60s that carried over into the 70s. Lots of boxy, drab, grey, and dark structures.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 PM

216 posts, read 622,827 times
Quote:

Wow, sometimes I can't believe what I read here.

Can you please explain to me how political correctness (I assume that is what you mean by the PC police) is responsible for TSA pat downs? The last I knew it was the "war on terror."

And wisdom and common sense, in the same sentence as the 70s? That isn't how I remember them.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Oh, and whoever redesigned the lighting several years back in the terminals must have been out of their mind. It is the most poorly lit medium sized airport in the entire country.
I have to agree. The dim lighting and cavernous, cast concrete ceilings are, I think, what make me feel like I'm in some factory warehouse. Maybe it's flashbacks to my summer job in college, but I keep feeling like somebody's going to whiz past me on a forklift with a pallet of raw materials.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,501,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Oh, and an overpriced burger or slice of pizza is better than nothing. Trust me. I'm not on a company credit card, so I stay out of sit down airport restaurants, but I think business travelers seem to like them. A slice of pizza, a bottle of water, a usa today paper, a comfortable place to go to the rest-room and a place to sit is all I ask for.
You sure you've been there lately? Because you can get those things at KCI, most of them inside the security gates.

I agree the airport is way overdue for a modernized terminal, but I don't see KC spending the money any time soon. They don't have it and I doubt the increase in traffic would happen fast enough to justify it in the short term. So in the meantime, we make do. Not because the status quo is okay, but because the alternative is not in the budget right now. It's not that bad. If you use it a lot, you simply plan accordingly.

I have noticed kcmo, that you are full of big ideas and grandiose dreams for the city you love to hate. But I don't see much in the way of explaining how these things would be paid for.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:17 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,710,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
Wow, sometimes I can't believe what I read here.

Can you please explain to me how political correctness (I assume that is what you mean by the PC police) is responsible for TSA pat downs? The last I knew it was the "war on terror."

And wisdom and common sense, in the same sentence as the 70s? That isn't how I remember them.
Amazing, isn't it?

A person actually not thinking what they're told to think....

Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Amazing, isn't it?

A person actually not thinking what they're told to think....
That is an amazing response. An interesting technique, that when others question your statements or disagree with them, you imply those others are the victims of thought control. A complete misdiagnosis in my case, I assure you.

But I guess it means you are not going to explain the connection between political correctness and the TSA. Which is fine. I get it.

For the record, I don't like lots of things about this culture we live in, but I will stand up for political correctness. When I was in school in the sensible seventies, we didn't talk about learning disabilities, or different learning styles, as so many of us do when referring to ourselves or our children on these pages. We had other language for it then... I won't print it here. It wouldn't be politically correct. Am I sorry that those terms have been taken out of polite parlance? I certainly am not. But now, to say something is "PC" is to immediately degrade and dismiss it in the minds of free thinkers, like yourself.

So if you want to ridicule people for understanding that language classifies others in ways that harms them, and causes others to view them as less than human... you go ahead. For that, I am willing to be ridiculed.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 AM

Oh, and for the record, I got Patted down during my most recent airport experience. Completely a non event. No groping.

A tempest in the proverbial teapot. But then, I can't think for myself, so I guess I don't know when to be outraged.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:48 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,869,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have to agree. The dim lighting and cavernous, cast concrete ceilings are, I think, what make me feel like I'm in some factory warehouse. Maybe it's flashbacks to my summer job in college, but I keep feeling like somebody's going to whiz past me on a forklift with a pallet of raw materials.
It's simply depressing. It's like walking out of the jetway and into the hunt midwest subtropois (caves)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City