U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-19-2011, 12:58 PM

216 posts, read 330,827 times

Advertisements

Are there local banks in the KCMO area that are truly locally owned and operated and that are reliable with their services?
Thanks for any input you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:53 PM

12,062 posts, read 18,980,775 times
I really can't speak highly enough of Commerce Bank. I used them as a kid and college student, but after I moved to Chicago I had to open a WaMu account (what a heinous experience that was). As soon as I moved to KC I immediately re-opened my account.

https://www.commercebank.com/default.asp

Old 01-19-2011, 02:48 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,580,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
Are there local banks in the KCMO area that are truly locally owned and operated and that are reliable with their services?
Thanks for any input you can provide!

Blue Ridge Bank & Trust is still locally family owned. Most of their locations are in the Independence/Blue Springs/Raytown & Lee's Summit areas, though, not all.
https://www.blueridgebank.com/

Commerce & United Missouri Bank are owned by different branches of the same family and locations are found throughout the state. Personally, I've never been thrilled with the service from either (30+ years as customer).

Old 01-19-2011, 03:02 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,142,183 times
Commerce and UMB are the way to go. They are two of the best regional run banks in the US and they are growing all the time. The Kemper Family owns these banks.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:52 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,843,253 times
Count me in as a Commerce fan as well. The manager at the branch on Barry Road in front of Metro North is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

I also am a fan of credit unions - I'm in Community America and United Consumers, but you don't have as large of branch network that you do with the big banks.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:14 PM

17,706 posts, read 15,126,271 times
Formerly Kansas City-based Bank Midwest/Dickinson Financial, where I bank, recently sold their branches to a Boston-based holding company. Also, their ATMs frequently don't work/are empty and not refilled in a timely manner. I don't recommend. I'll probably be switching, soon. Considering Blue Ridge Bank and Trust, since it's convenient both where I live and work.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 01-19-2011 at 05:42 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 05:33 PM

13,722 posts, read 3,953,576 times
Platte Valley Bank in the northland. Their sister bank is the Country Club Bank points south.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 PM

5,740 posts, read 6,223,807 times
I wouldnt recommend a bank at all. I have had accounts at several banks and always had issues. My experience in the mortgage industry also put a bad taste in my mouth for banks in general. Credit unions seem to always been more easy going and value your business more because in a Credit Union, you are a shareholder by having an account whereas with a bank, you are not a shareholder unless you own stock with them.

Ever since I joined Community America Credit Union three years ago, I havent had a single issue and overall just low the way they operate and do business.

They have branches all over the KC Metro and their branches are open on Saturday, Sunday and even some holidays where most banks are closed such as MLK Day and Presidents Day.

I cannot speak highly enough about them and they are based right here in Kansas City.

CommunityAmerica Credit Union - Open a bank account with your Kansas City community credit union

Old 01-19-2011, 10:35 PM

7,718 posts, read 9,453,536 times
I would agree with all of these. I miss Commerce Bank so much. We had UMB for the longest and switched to Commerce. Both are awesome, but I would give the edge to Commerce.

Now we are with BOA and it's ok, but they really nickel and dime you and I miss the local connection that Commerce has with KC.

Also, I have had some loans with Community America and they are just fantastic to do business with.

Blue Ridge Bank is also a good bank. I kind of have a feeling they will be bought out before long though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City