Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,414 times

Advertisements

There's a lot to do around KC, but the one thing everyone will do is eat! My KC BBQ restaurant reviews should help for your next visit. Be sure to poke around the whole site: [url=http://www.kansascityq.com/index.php/kcq-reviews/]Kansas City Q :: KCQ Reviews[/url]

Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 PM

226 posts, read 572,841 times
I just saw this. Funny, several days ago, I put an entry in my blog, answering this very question (about KC). Link is under my Forum name, under "homepage" (or "contact info" tab on my profile).

Old 06-22-2012, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,620 times
LOVE this post. LOVE.

Another thing I would add is that I think hiring a Kansas City limo service to do a plaza/downtown tour on a winter evening is a MUST do for any traveler visiting the area. There is not much that compares to the amazing lights that the plaza does around Christmas and the neighborhoods surrounding are stunning displays as well- and it's also a great way to see KC in a couple hours.

I did this for DH last Christmas - we went through [url=http://www.regalride.com][/url]Kansas City Limousine Service Limo KC Limos Party Wedding Airport Party Limousine Rental[/url] - and had an amazing time so I thought I'd pass that along.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:06 PM

3,142 posts, read 3,093,205 times
I am so glad I stumbled upon this thread -- my husband and I are going to be visiting KC for about a week in early August -- he will be busy attending a conference and I'll have the days to myself to explore the city. We are staying where the conference will be -- in the country club plaza area. I definitely want to visit the WWI museum and the Truman library and Federal Reserve museum (as well as the other museums). We are from Florida and I have visited Truman's "Little White House" in Key West (many years ago) so I love to visit historical sites.

I saw there are many trails and parks to relax and walk. I also saw that I can take the bus to many of the exhibits -- the routes go by many of them. We will not have a car -- the conference is providing shuttle service from the airport. Since I will be on my own during the day, are their any areas in particular that I should avoid if I'm on my own? I know I will enjoy the hotel and the country club area but I don't want to feel I have to limit myself to just that section of town -- but I do want to be safe.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,772,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I am so glad I stumbled upon this thread -- my husband and I are going to be visiting KC for about a week in early August -- he will be busy attending a conference and I'll have the days to myself to explore the city. We are staying where the conference will be -- in the country club plaza area. I definitely want to visit the WWI museum and the Truman library and Federal Reserve museum (as well as the other museums). We are from Florida and I have visited Truman's "Little White House" in Key West (many years ago) so I love to visit historical sites.

I saw there are many trails and parks to relax and walk. I also saw that I can take the bus to many of the exhibits -- the routes go by many of them. We will not have a car -- the conference is providing shuttle service from the airport. Since I will be on my own during the day, are their any areas in particular that I should avoid if I'm on my own? I know I will enjoy the hotel and the country club area but I don't want to feel I have to limit myself to just that section of town -- but I do want to be safe.
If you enjoy art be certain to visit the Nelson-Atkins and Kemper Museums of Art just East of the Plaza.

http://www.nelson-atkins.org/welcome/index.cfm

http://www.kemperart.org/

To the near immediate South of the Plaza is the Brookside area and the John Wornall Home Museum. If you saw the movie "Ride with the Devil" you will recognize it from the opening scenes.
http://wornallhouse.org/visit/plan-your-visit/

In Westport: http://www.westporthistorical.com/

Additionally, don't miss out on the downtown farmer's market and the Steamship Arabia museum:
http://1856.com/

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 07-09-2012 at 09:34 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM

466 posts, read 1,057,865 times
[quote=aragx6;20864679]Kansas City's dangerous urban areas are actually more dangerous than St. Louis'

St. Louis doesn't have a single neighborhood on this most dangerous list from last year: 25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods

What you mean, on the list #14. St. Louis, 14th/Dr. Martin Luther King Drive. I live in North County and MLK Dr. isn't a nice street to drive through, that's for sure.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
this gave me a lot of really good ideas. I think I might be sorry we are only going to be there 48 hours. Now, I have to narrow it down to about 3 or 4 things..I think we will do the Truman library for sure. I have done Nixon, Lincoln and Reagan thus far...

Nita

Old 08-09-2012, 11:33 PM

3,142 posts, read 3,093,205 times
Thanks again to all the good ideas on this thread. I just got back from KC and had a great time. Our hotel, the Marriott at Country Club Plaza, was right next to the Kemper Museum and the Nelson-Atkins was just another block or so away. I was really impressed with the Nelson-Atkins -- I felt like I was in a smaller version of The Met -- all the artwork and pottery from all parts of the world -- Egyptian, Asian, Chinese, Japanese, early and modern American, Dutch, French -- I know I'm leaving something out.

I also went to the WWI museum and the Federal Reserve (Money Museum). Both very good. I also spent another day at The Truman Library in Independence and enjoyed that too. I took the bus to practically everything. Google maps was great about listing which buses to take -- listing the stops and bus numbers. I used the Main Max a lot.

My husband was fed so well at his conference that we didn't pig out as much as we normally would have but we did manage to get to one BBQ place -- Jack Stack's -- and I enjoyed my baby back ribs very much, along with the huge onion rings.

I don't know who coined the term "mid-western hospitality" but I certainly saw it on my trip. People were so polite on the buses -- the buses were clean -- everywhere we went it was "please" and "thank you." Cars waited for you to cross the street before going. I live in South Florida and I do hope we treat our tourists as nice -- I also can't imagine our drivers being as patient behind the wheel.

Hope you all in KC are proud of your town -- you deserve to be!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,776,123 times
Sounds like you got a good taste of KC, and not just the eats. It's interesting to hear your perspective. Many in KC think drivers are inconsiderate to pedestrians/cyclists but I've seen much worse in other cities, downright mean. Great that you used the bus, it's pretty solid through the main corridor of the city, not so much elsewhere in metro. Ever since they started up MAX, a lot more visitors use the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City