U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
7,234 posts, read 8,444,957 times
Reputation: 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I think the Haunted Houses deserve a mention as well. The Farmstead thing out in Olathe might be worth a mention as well as downtown Parkville and Weston.
I have never thought about taking photos of the haunted houses. But yes, KC has some of the best urban haunted houses in the country.

 
Old 01-25-2011, 06:59 AM
 
859 posts, read 1,086,308 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I have never thought about taking photos of the haunted houses. But yes, KC has some of the best urban haunted houses in the country.
Surprisingly enough, I dated a girl a long time ago who was from Moscow, and took her to the haunted houses. I know there are others throughout the US, but she said she had never seen anything like that back in Russia. This was in 2000 so maybe things have changed since then. She thought they were awesome.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 PM
 
400 posts, read 502,041 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I feel like he has many times. No big secret on this forum.
You would have to post a link to those comments before I would believe it because I have been reading this forum for over two years and I have never seen kcmo mention anything about being a photographer. He posts the photos, but he never says "These are photos that I personally took. I am a professional photographer. This is my website." He just posts the photos, usually with no attribution. So it is a fair mistake to wonder whose photos they are, given the nature of the Internet and how people just copy/paste content from all over regardless of who created it.

And actually now that I know that he is a professional photographer and that is his website, it makes perfect sense that he would spend so much time on this forum and post all those photos. It's driving business to his website. It's free advertising, traffic, and money for his business.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
7,234 posts, read 8,444,957 times
Reputation: 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
You would have to post a link to those comments before I would believe it because I have been reading this forum for over two years and I have never seen kcmo mention anything about being a photographer. He posts the photos, but he never says "These are photos that I personally took. I am a professional photographer. This is my website." He just posts the photos, usually with no attribution. So it is a fair mistake to wonder whose photos they are, given the nature of the Internet and how people just copy/paste content from all over regardless of who created it.

And actually now that I know that he is a professional photographer and that is his website, it makes perfect sense that he would spend so much time on this forum and post all those photos. It's driving business to his website. It's free advertising, traffic, and money for his business.
Actually, I was a member for quite some time before ever posting any photos and when I do, I'm pretty humble about it because I'm not here to advertise my business. I'm here to truly discuss the urban environment and of course my hometown of KC. If that were my motive, I would be putting links and claiming the photos and I would be posting a hell of a lot more photos of cities than what I post. I have nearly 100 cities in my collection.

I think most people on the KC and St Louis forums know me. I can't help it if you somehow have missed out .

Oh, and my photo biz is just a side biz. I have a full time job as well, although the photo biz is no pushover.

But I do like to point out the photo biz to people mainly because it shows that I get around and as many cities as I see on a regular basis, I honestly think I can compare them and discuss their differences quite thoroughly. Cities are my passion but my hometown of Kansas City, MO is still closest to my heart and that's why I criticize KC's downfalls as much as I promote its qualities.
 
Old 01-26-2011, 09:31 PM
 
216 posts, read 302,900 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeStater View Post
You would have to post a link to those comments before I would believe it because I have been reading this forum for over two years and I have never seen kcmo mention anything about being a photographer. He posts the photos, but he never says "These are photos that I personally took. I am a professional photographer. This is my website." He just posts the photos, usually with no attribution. So it is a fair mistake to wonder whose photos they are, given the nature of the Internet and how people just copy/paste content from all over regardless of who created it.

And actually now that I know that he is a professional photographer and that is his website, it makes perfect sense that he would spend so much time on this forum and post all those photos. It's driving business to his website. It's free advertising, traffic, and money for his business.
I don't really think this is fair. I had figured out he had the website because I noticed the writing on a photo, and I had seen someone say "nice photos KCMO, did you take them?" The answer was always a very low key, "Yes I did, and thanks." I really feel like this thread, and a few other posts I have seen, are just genuinely KCMO's attempt to show what he knows and loves about a place and to share it here. With all respect, if you didn't even know he was a professional photographer, I don't know how you can say he is driving business to his website and trying to profit from posting.

I'm sorry, I am not trying to be argumentative. I don't know KCMO personally so I have no stake in this. But I feel this statement was a bit unfair to him, and not very respectful of the really nice job he just did trying to show KC in a good light to visitors to this forum.

Now I will shut up.
 
Old 01-27-2011, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Volker, Kansas City, MO
12,062 posts, read 17,851,831 times
Reputation: 3597
It took me about 4 seconds to easily find three threads in which kcmo posts pictures and everyone knows they're his:

Kansas city photo ops
Photos of the KC area. Urban KCMO housing and suburban Overland Park
Random photos of residential areas of the Plaza district of KCMO....
 
Old 01-27-2011, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Volker, Kansas City, MO
12,062 posts, read 17,851,831 times
Reputation: 3597
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
if you didn't even know he was a professional photographer, I don't know how you can say he is driving business to his website and trying to profit from posting.
Valid point!
 
Old 01-27-2011, 10:27 PM
 
400 posts, read 502,041 times
Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
I had figured out he had the website because I noticed the writing on a photo, and I had seen someone say "nice photos KCMO, did you take them?" The answer was always a very low key, "Yes I did, and thanks."
That's because if he promoted his site any more than that, by posting links and saying it was his, etc. it would be against the Terms of Service of this forum because he would be advertising and generating business for his site.

Quote:
I really feel like this thread, and a few other posts I have seen, are just genuinely KCMO's attempt to show what he knows and loves about a place and to share it here.
No doubt. And posting thousands of photos all with a "kcphotos.com" watermark, so that anyone who happens to see those photos will go to that site and maybe buy a print.

Quote:
With all respect, if you didn't even know he was a professional photographer, I don't know how you can say he is driving business to his website and trying to profit from posting.
That's the point. He's not saying the photos are his every time that he posts them. But all the photos have a kcphotos.com watermark so that drives business to that site even if he doesn't mention anything about his connection to that site or that he took those photos. It allows him to maybe get business that way without ever running afoul of the rules that prohibit that type of solicitation and advertising on this forum.

Quote:
But I feel this statement was a bit unfair to him, and not very respectful of the really nice job he just did trying to show KC in a good light to visitors to this forum.
Nope. It is not disrespectful at all. I will continue to point out these facts regardless of what you or others think about it. You cannot shame me, because I am not doing anything wrong.
 
Old 01-27-2011, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
7,234 posts, read 8,444,957 times
Reputation: 2868
Isn't this a cool video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8rZFKTjFvc

Lighten up man. Trust me, I don't market on this website. I'm trying to make a profit, not waste my time. Anything I post on this forum is for pleasure only. I couldn't care less if it generates sales or not. It's cool when I get an occational, "nice photos", but that's all I get from at site like this and KC doesn't sell nearly as well as most of my other cities anyway.

I doubt it has generated a single sale though. You couldn't even tell where those photos on the first page of this thread were from unless you dug into it.
 
Old 01-28-2011, 05:47 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
3,781 posts, read 1,919,018 times
Reputation: 2554
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Isn't this a cool video?
Very cool....at least until the music changes. Learning to fly is perfect for it, but that second song has always hurt my ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top