Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
It certainly seems that way, but my innate idealism compelled me to reach out in an attempt to bridge the gap. And this thread seemed the appropriate time.

Prove us wrong, kcmo. I'll issue the challenge once again. You're plenty smart enough to understand how untenable your position is. No fair minded person will challenge your judgment as to what is and what is not worthy of your camera lens. What they will and should challenge is your raw condescension toward Kansas and Kansans.

I don't know - maybe you thrive on the constant conflict, as some people do. And, if so, I'm foolishly wasting my time. But try looking at it this way. Why would a man with so little regard for Kansas want to emulate the attitude of the Great and Powerful OZ?
Really? I mean nothing personal, but really? It's nice that you are all of the sudden the angle here, but come on.

Like I stated, I will refrain from the smack and insults (unless they come out in defense which is what happened in this thread). No problem. But sorry, I'm not going to just sit and be quiet on all the issues. I speak what I think and I tell it like it is.

I don't hate Kansas, but do not like how Kansas interacts with metro Kansas City and I will continue to push those buttons and I'm sure that will generate personal insults against me. But I'm willing to put my rep on the line to stand up for what I believe and when more people do that, maybe, just maybe, Kansas City will be able to look at its problems in the face and deal with them rather than ignoring them or even justifying them.

My next post in this thread will be about Kansas City attractions and I'm sure they will be on the Missouri side since that's where that vast majority of them reside.

If you want to carry on this conversation or vilify me to make you look like the good guy, start a new thread...

Old 02-03-2011, 02:58 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I don't know - maybe you thrive on the constant conflict, as some people do.
Sadly, I've concluded that this is the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I tell it like it is.
No, you don't. Not by a long shot.

Most people are willing to state their own biases, but not you. You have a deathgrip on the notion that yours are all justified. It's rather comical. But it also makes your posts regarding anything Kansas to be 99% BS.

Your opinions about the people of Johnson County are heavily clouded by your own personal preferences and your rose-colored memories of your childhood. But you refuse to admit this.

It's okay though ... everyone else knows. Now it's just a matter of occasionally pointing it out to new posters here who haven't figured it out yet.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:09 PM

^ Define "everyone"

A little more detail of what I think is one of KC's most underutilized assets.

Brush Creek. This urban riverwalk is such a nice recreational corridor that many in KC love to ignore or even bash. Sure it’s an urban flood control project that sometimes gets sewage overflow after very heavy rains. Guess what?, that’s pretty normal for similar flood control/recreation projects in cities across the country. The difference is people in other cities still flock to urban green corridors like this while KC ignores Brush Creek for the most part.

Trust me though, if you do want to enjoy Brush Creek you can and it’s a great place to bike, walk, jog etc despite its local reputation.

Here are some photos.

http://www.skylinescenes.com/gallery/albums/city_galleries/kansascity/kansascity_skyline_339_3535.jpg (broken link)

http://www.skylinescenes.com/gallery/albums/city_galleries/kansascity/kansascity_skyline_338_3517.jpg (broken link)

http://www.skylinescenes.com/gallery/albums/city_galleries/kansascity/kansascity_skyline_216_6534.jpg (broken link)

http://www.skylinescenes.com/gallery/albums/city_galleries/kansascity/kansascity_skyline_216_90679.jpg (broken link)

http://www.kcphotos.com/gallery/albums/new/plaza_area//plaza_3341.jpg (broken link)

http://www.kcphotos.com/gallery/albums/fountains//fount_1119.jpg (broken link)

http://www.kcphotos.com/gallery/albums/fountains//fount_4532.jpg (broken link)

http://www.kcphotos.com/gallery/albums/new/plaza_area//plaza_4481.jpg (broken link)

http://www.kcphotos.com/gallery/albums/new/plaza_area//plaza_4458.jpg (broken link)

http://www.kcphotos.com/gallery/albums/new/plaza_area//plaza_1804.jpg (broken link)

http://www.kcphotos.com/gallery/albums/new/plaza_area//plaza_0721.jpg (broken link)

http://www.kcphotos.com/gallery/albums/new/plaza_area//plaza_3348.jpg (broken link)

http://www.kcphotos.com/gallery/albums/new/plaza_area//plaza_4546.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 PM

216 posts, read 623,344 times
What do you mean by its local reputation? It looks like a terrific place for a bike ride. Is it thought to be dangerous?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
What do you mean by its local reputation? It looks like a terrific place for a bike ride. Is it thought to be dangerous?
East of Main it’s thought of as dangerous or sketchy, east of Troost its image is even worse. The plaza portion has a reputation of being smelly or polluted despite its location in the heart of the plaza. I have heard more local people call Brush Creek….”Flush Creek” than people speak of it in a positive manner.

You can go to Brush Creek on the most beautiful day of spring and you might find a few people there. Mostly people from area hotels that walk around wondering where everybody is and why such a green corridor is so vacant of people.

Maybe the “flush” creek or dangerous image is not the entire reason. I have always stated that the KC population simply has little desire for urban recreation and the few that do crowd into tiny Mill Creek Park (where the JC Nichols fountain is). While Penn Valley Park, Swope Park, River Front Park, Brush Creek etc all are ghost towns most of the time. Other reasons (other than perceived crime etc) might be the parks really are not connected well via trails etc, but the they get almost no use at all and I wonder at times if KC did have an excellent urban parks and trails system if it would still go mostly un-used by locals.

As an avid bike rider in KC, I would bike along Brush Creek all the time. I would also take my kids there. Most of the time we would park in Brookside at 63rd and ride to Brush Creek via the trolley track trail and then ride Brush Creek from Ward Parkway to Cleveland. We would stop at the water falls, Thies Park or bike on over to Mill Creek Park, the Kauffman Foundation etc.

When I commuted to the Plaza from Waldo via bike the best part was the downhill grassy median of Ward Parkway which dumps you into the Brush Creek Trails.

Nobody is ever down there though and it was always another thing that got you nothing but odd looks if you said you biked along brush creek or took the family biking down there. If it’s not some suburban trail, it’s not worthy I guess. I would take the family to the trails in JoCo quite often and there is a part of that trail near a water treatment plant in leawood (mission and 435) that does smell real bad at times, but nobody ever mentions that. It just seems like when something in KCMO gets a bad rap, it's all over.

KC is really missing out. Spend a weekend day in Forest Park in StLouis and see how incredible an urban park can be when it’s utilized. Go to Denver where they have trails similar to Brush Creek that are so busy with bicycles and pedestrians that they are marked with commuter signs to keep accidents down. Same with the trails along waterways in Omaha, Minneapolis, Des Moines, Tulsa. Those are just local cities. Cities all across the county have busy urban trails and parks even if they are not perfect, they are still heavily utilized.

Last edited by kcmo; 02-03-2011 at 09:07 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 06:44 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Really? I mean nothing personal, but really? It's nice that you are all of the sudden the angle here, but come on.

Like I stated, I will refrain from the smack and insults (unless they come out in defense which is what happened in this thread). No problem. But sorry, I'm not going to just sit and be quiet on all the issues. I speak what I think and I tell it like it is.

I don't hate Kansas, but do not like how Kansas interacts with metro Kansas City and I will continue to push those buttons and I'm sure that will generate personal insults against me. But I'm willing to put my rep on the line to stand up for what I believe and when more people do that, maybe, just maybe, Kansas City will be able to look at its problems in the face and deal with them rather than ignoring them or even justifying them.

My next post in this thread will be about Kansas City attractions and I'm sure they will be on the Missouri side since that's where that vast majority of them reside.

If you want to carry on this conversation or vilify me to make you look like the good guy, start a new thread...
I'm not trying to vilify you or anyone else. What I am trying to do is get you to see and understand that your stance and worn-on-your-sleeve hostility is a big part of the "problem" that clearly obsesses you. And it is the reason for what happened in this thread, though the counter attack should have waited for you to unleash your next anti-Kansas or JOCO barb. It never takes very long.

I regret wasting my time and won't again. Now by all means get back to what it is you love to do...." If it’s not some suburban trail, it’s not worthy I guess." (from your post above) and scratch your head wondering why when future threads go as this one did and the forum tone gets worse instead of better.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:57 AM

Again, it is what it is. Most urban areas have vast urban trails and parks systems that are VERY busy and utilized. In KC they simply are not utilized and therefore there is little push to make what they have better. This is with the exception of the Trolley Track Trail (which is between the urban core and the suburbs). Urban recreation and suburban COMPLIMENT each other and tie into each other in other towns. The JoCo trails do tie into the SKC trails, but trust me the JoCo crowd doesn't take the trail past state line into SKC. You can take that as an insult or you can go ride the trail and see for yourself.

In KC, we would use all the trails, both suburban and urban in MO and KS. But once again, KC lacks even a desire for urban recreation IMO or there would be more use of the existing assets as well as demand for improvements.

Again, I'm simply describing the dominate culture of Kansas City (as a whole) and you are taking it "personally".

Last edited by kcmo; 02-04-2011 at 07:09 AM..

Old 02-04-2011, 10:40 AM

327 posts, read 968,550 times
Quote:
, I'm simply describing the dominate culture of Kansas City (as a whole) and you are taking it "personally".
No, YOU take it personally, and YOU have made it YOUR CAUSE for years on this forum.

CrownVic, thank you for your diplomatic attempts to create a functional forum.

Samantha, luv you, girl, your posts are beyond awesome!

As I have stated previously, I really feel sorry for those considering relocation to KC who read these threads. Truly a bummer!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:49 AM

Read the first page of this thread:

Independence, MO

The people that slam me just because I don't think there is much to do in Overland Park (and there freaking isn't), are the people you are supporting.

The common denominator is the people that don't like me are the people that have ties to Kansas that don't want to hear what I post. Be it that they won't accept that stealing companies form KCMO is not good for the metro, to the lack of regional coooration or just plain and simple pure jealously that the MO side has most of the area's culture and attractions.

Whatever it is, here is an idea. Ignore my posts . There are only a few people that are trashing my threads and starting these flamewars. I could and probably should do the same over in the Kansas forums just to return the favor.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:32 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
No, YOU take it personally, and YOU have made it YOUR CAUSE for years on this forum.

CrownVic, thank you for your diplomatic attempts to create a functional forum.

Samantha, luv you, girl, your posts are beyond awesome!

As I have stated previously, I really feel sorry for those considering relocation to KC who read these threads. Truly a bummer!
Thank you for your kind words, smellykat. (When I type that I always feel like I should be calling you something more respectful sounding)

And I agree with you about Samantha. This forum needs all the rational perspective it can get, and her contribution is invaluable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City