U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:33 PM

7,252 posts, read 8,462,416 times
Well, I am confident that any truly rational person can read through this thread and see it exactly for what it is. Me simply showing off Kansas City and then being attacked by a select group of people, of which none are even from Kansas City, MO, just like the Independence thread and many others.

Wow, he said "if the trails are not in the suburbs, they are not worthy". That really justifies this! Yet when you actually compare Kansas City to just about any other major city, you will see exactly what I described. (A city where few take advantage of or demand urban recreation).

I'm fully ready and willing to let the KS side members take the KS side of KC to the Kansas forums. Get the mods to create a subdirectory in Kansas called Kansas suburbs of KC. Then you can post what there is do in on the KS side for those that want to do that or whatever else you want to talk about.

I promise I won't bother you or mention Kansas ever again if this happens with one disclaimer. I will post where ever I need to if something the KS side does adversely effects the MO side. Such as Kansas poaching AMC from kcmo with 50 million in STAR bonds and other incentives. And you may post in the KC forum if KCMO does something to KS or I say something negative about Kansas which I'm not going to do, I promise, just like I didn't in this thread till I was provoked. OK? Sound good?

Last edited by kcmo; 02-04-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM

3,278 posts, read 2,396,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Read the first page of this thread:
The common denominator is the people that don't like me are the people that have ties to Kansas that don't want to hear what I post. Be it that they won't accept that stealing companies form KCMO is not good for the metro, to the lack of regional coooration or just plain and simple pure jealously that the MO side has most of the area's culture and attractions.
It's a lack of thick skin and a lack of a depth of understanding in regard to where you're coming from as well as the concept of a metropolitan area, particularly with ours being divided by a state line.

I'm from the Kansas side of our bi-state metropolitan area. The city happens to be on the opposite side of the state line I grew up on. That has never phased me. My Kansas-side grade school took me on field trips to see plays at theaters downtown as well as Kaleidoscope near Crown Center and the Nelson. My sister's school has done the same, most recently they went to Science City. I spent much of my childhood going to Crown Center and occasionally to the Plaza. It's something I'm sure most schools and parents do at some time or another, especially those in the suburbs. They visit their respective city.

The urban central cites of metropolitan areas are simply where the vast majority of the cultural attractions are. Although, we have an anomaly with Independence, a suburban town that happens to be older than the primary city itself and has a ton of history including a presidetial library and the Mormons/LDS/RLDS/whatever. Independence is a tourist destination. There are a scattering of attractions on the Kansas side, but it is not a tourist destination. It's that simple. It is what it is. It's not kcmo's bias, although I'm not saying he doesn't favor the Missouri side. It just has nothing to do with the reality of where most of the tourist, historical, and cultural attractions are.

I can't speak for kcmo, but understanding he is from KCMO and saw at least the tailend of the demise of what our city once was, I get where he is coming from being that JoCo happened to be the suburb that bloomed at the expense of that and had the advantage of being in another state with its political backing, exacerbating the already detrimental abandonement problem amongst industrial cities of the time. Of course, desegregation, racism, the real estate industry, popularity of cars, and the allure/prestige associated with horizonal houses with built in garages at the time. Haha.

It sucks all of that happened. I'd much rather see the vibrancy of the neighborhoods and businesses of JoCo exist in KCMO like it originally did. That's the best way I've found to explain to people what once was. JoCo is basically what KCMO once was, only everything was in a more urban, walkable and architecturally and historically significant format.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:42 PM

3,278 posts, read 2,396,744 times
....And while the suburbs can take the residents, retail and even big companies and jobs, the cultural attractions simply can't be replicated like that. They remained in the city.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:42 PM

404 posts, read 153,618 times
Kansas has Jack in the box

Old 02-04-2011, 01:17 PM

3,783 posts, read 1,923,520 times
Quote:
The common denominator is the people that don't like me....
Which people are those?

I don't dislike you, so please don't include me in that group. And I'd be surprised, if you took an honest poll, if you found any but maybe one other poster who might fit that description.

No, I don't dislike you at all. I rather enjoy our friendly banter when we have the luxury of getting away from your favorite topic.

kcmo, you are your own worst enemy on this forum. And if it weren't for the gunny sack of KS/JOCO sarcastic barbs that you bring here with almost every visit, you'd have more rep points than you do posts.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:26 PM

1,662 posts, read 2,627,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
Samantha, luv you, girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And I agree with you about Samantha.
Wow! Thanks guys!

Quote:
Well, I am confident that any truly rational person can read through this thread and see it exactly for what it is.
Agreed. And any truly rational person can read through this forum and see you as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I can't speak for kcmo, but understanding he is from KCMO and saw at least the tailend of the demise of what our city once was, I get where he is coming from being that JoCo happened to be the suburb that bloomed at the expense of that ...

It sucks all of that happened. ...

.And while the suburbs can take the residents, retail and even big companies and jobs, the cultural attractions simply can't be replicated like that. They remained in the city.
I agree with this. I totally understand mourning the loss. But the constant hostility and undying refusal to see any kind of balanced perspective and just pass the responsibility is just irrational.

Quote:
kcmo, you are your own worst enemy on this forum. And if it weren't for the gunny sack of KS/JOCO sarcastic barbs that you bring here with almost every visit, you'd have more rep points than you do posts.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:32 AM

7,252 posts, read 8,462,416 times
Quote:
The urban central cites of metropolitan areas are simply where the vast majority of the cultural attractions are.
And when the metro figures this out, like almost every other metro in the country has, then I think things will get much better in KC.

Quote:
....And while the suburbs can take the residents, retail and even big companies and jobs, the cultural attractions simply can't be replicated like that. They remained in the city.
But in KC, the suburbs ARE trying to do this and in the process, they not only create sub par attractions in the suburbs that are never going to be regional cultural tourist destinations, but they dilute the opportunities to create first class attractions in the central city that everybody in a 100 mile radius of the city could and should be proud of.

Putting the area’s only Smithsonian Exhibit in a strip mall on 135th Street rather than using that opportunity to make Union Station one of the country’s finest museums is a prime example of this.

And it’s not a KS vs MO thing. I wouldn’t want a such an exhibit in Lee’s Summit or the Northland either.

Metro KC has got to figure out how to get on the same page and stop trying to be five different metro areas.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:50 AM

3,783 posts, read 1,923,520 times
Quote:
when the metro figures this out
"The metro" is not monolithic. There are a variety of equally valid viewpoints and the last thing it needs is Big Brother kcmo dictating policy to all.

Quote:
But in KC, the suburbs ARE trying to do this
More power to them.
Quote:
they not only create sub par attractions in the suburbs that are never going to be regional cultural tourist destinations
Your opinion only and you have no idea what kind of draw suburban attractions may have in the future.
Quote:
I wouldn’t want a such an exhibit in Lee’s Summit or the Northland either
Why not? They have every right and reason if they deem it sensible and beneficial to their community
Quote:
Metro KC has got to figure out how to get on the same page and stop trying to be five different metro areas
They aren't....see point 1

Somehow, kcmo, you need to find a way to come to grips with the fact that many people do not share your vision. I'm not the only one who sees little value in salvaging congested and decaying inner cities. Most people simply don't want to live that way and I can't imagine spending a lifetime with one's ego all wrapped up in trying to fight that.

Meant in the most good-natured and friendly way....for you own sake, give it up, man.

Everything doesn't forever have to be like it used to be.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 AM

1,662 posts, read 2,627,750 times
Quote:
Is worth repeating.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:58 PM

91 posts, read 97,804 times
Quote:
I'm not the only one who sees little value in salvaging congested and decaying inner cities.
Let's let KC crumble to the ground!

Quote:
Change isn't always good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City