U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,089,951 times
This might be the icing on the cake for over-reacting, look at the picture of how little snow there is, i don't even think KC would plow this

Snow ... in Mexico? Rare Winter Dusting Shuts Down Ciudad Juarez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 11:36 AM

5,740 posts, read 6,029,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
This might be the icing on the cake for over-reacting, look at the picture of how little snow there is, i don't even think KC would plow this

Snow ... in Mexico? Rare Winter Dusting Shuts Down Ciudad Juarez

That is just an example of people not being use to it. Dealing with snow and driving in it is not common sense. You arent born with it.

In Tennessee, they cancel schools if snow is even in the forecast. My boss told me that he lived in southern Arkansas and when they got less than an inch of snow, the entire city shut down and no one left. He was the only person out driving and people told him he was going to die.

However, people in Mexico think we are crazy to have a constant need for air conditioning in our warmer months.

It is called culture. It's amazing that some people on here that are apparently some of the older posters dont have a respect for it.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:51 AM

17,271 posts, read 14,136,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That is just an example of people not being use to it. Dealing with snow and driving in it is not common sense. You arent born with it.

In Tennessee, they cancel schools if snow is even in the forecast.
That doesn't just happen in traditionally nonsnowy locales. It happens here, too. I work for a school, and schools here were cancelled for Tuesday before flake one even fell Monday night.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:57 PM

216 posts, read 317,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Here we go again. Think I don't know about driving in snow? I learned to drive in 1967 in Rochester, New York. Back then and there, we didn't have Kansas City snow or Chicago (I've lived there, too) snow....we had serious snow and could count on lake effect storm after storm after storm each winter.

I remember the anticipation and excitement of wondering what opening the living room curtains would reveal in the morning. On many occasions I was greeted by a solid white wall - drifts that literally touched the eves of the house. Not unusual in the slightest then and there. And it was absolutely wonderful.

No, trust me, I've heard your tale of woe repeated like a broken record by John Q and Jane Q Public a zillion times. And you know what else? I heard a lot more of it for the 11 years I lived in the KC area than I ever did in upstate New York - in snow country's big leagues. People by the millions who freak and young people emulating the most crotchety of senior citizens just because it snowed and they may have to break from their normal, boring routine for a day or two.

It is a fascinating study in irrational human behavior. All the panic and the hysteria in response to one of nature's most beautiful gifts. When you live in snow country, you plan for it. And no one expects you to get to work when roads are closed. So you relax....and you enjoy. It's so simple.

I truly feel sorry for those incapable of taking advantage of the opportunity it gives for peaceful reflection and smelling life's coffee.

I have to say, I attribute this new found hysteria, in part, to the Weather Channel and 24 hour news. I lived overseas for a few years in the early 90's and when I came back home to the states I felt the world had gone mad. Suddenly there were "weather events" and "high profile vehicle warnings" (which we used to call "wind") People could quote rainfall statistics and heaven knows what. When you need to find something to say about the weather 24 hours a day, you have to make a big deal of everything that happens. All the panic and negativity can be really contagious, as negativity always is. I know snow storms can be inconvenient and even dangerous, but I do think it pays to try to see the plesant things they offer too, as CrownVic points out.

Of course, I can talk. I am in the only place in the lower 48 without snow today. Although, according to my husband, it seems it is pretty much cleared up now and on to life as usual. Try to enjoy it!

Old 02-03-2011, 04:05 PM

15,129 posts, read 20,452,322 times
Regardless, Kansas City gets about half as much snowfall on average as most cities in the Midwest like Chicago, Milwaukee, Grand Rapids, Minneapolis, Cleveland, South Bend, etc.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:06 PM

216 posts, read 317,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Trust me. People in the NE (at least in the DC/Balt area) can't drive in the snow any better than people in KC. Actually, I think they are MUCH worse. That's why an inch of snow can add several hours to a 45 minute commute.

They close schools and delay or telecommute gov employees and the hint of the most minor winter weather.

My kids have stayed home many days this year during snow events that KC School districts would not have bat a eye at.

While I can't stand how slow and oblivious people in KC drive when it's 70 degress ands sunny. They drive better there than here in the snow and they can't drive in the snow all that well either.

Having said that, I love snow, love to drive in it and totally enjoy it have fun with it. I have never had a single problem getting around in the snow. Last year we were blasted with 70" of snow in two weeks and it was awesome. I do eventially want it to go away though and change seasons.
With all respect KCMO, Baltimore is NOT the northeast.
That's a little like calling Westchester county, upstate NY.

But I agree about the driving. Most harrowing winter storm experience I ever had was in DC. Just not enough snow in that part of the world for people to get used to driving in it.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 PM

7,496 posts, read 8,958,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
I know it's technically called the Mid Atlantic area?

I was just using it as an example, but from what I can tell, the weather in Maryland is very similar to that of Missouri, maybe even a bit warmer (in winter, cooler in summer).

When I think of "the Northeast" , I think of the urban corridor of cities from DC to Boston. I think a lot of people think that from that perspective. But I guess the Northeast is really the far northeastern states north of maybe Philly, but west to Buffalo?

Where is granitestater when I need him

Old 02-03-2011, 06:46 PM

5,740 posts, read 6,029,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
That's a little like calling Westchester county, upstate NY.

Baltimore is above the center line of the country and is on the East Coast. So, It would be North and East. Shortened, people would say Northeast.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 PM

7,496 posts, read 8,958,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Baltimore is above the center line of the country and is on the East Coast. So, It would be North and East. Shortened, people would say Northeast.
Well everybody in the DC/Balt area seems to call this area northeast. But then again, there may be two different definitions of northeast. The urban northeast corridor and the northeast states.

The busy Northeast Regional Amtrak line for example goes from DC to Boston:

And Maryland might be the southen edge of the "northeast", but it shows up in almost all maps of the northeast:

http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4...w=1016&bih=709

Old 02-03-2011, 07:24 PM

29,990 posts, read 19,682,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Regardless, Kansas City gets about half as much snowfall on average as most cities in the Midwest like Chicago, Milwaukee, Grand Rapids, Minneapolis, Cleveland, South Bend, etc.
We used to get good snowfalls in the 60's and early 70's. Last winter's and this week's snowfall are reminiscent of those. We used to be able to snowmobile regularly all over what is now "new Leawood" because it was nothing but farm fields and pastures.

Anyone remember how they used to allow kids to skate on the fountain pond in front of Country Club Christian Church on Ward Parkway or that even in the snow there'd still be pick-up games of football in the median greenspace just north of Meyer Circle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City