U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:32 AM

4,093 posts, read 2,297,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Of course you hear more of a reaction, when you live somewhere where consistent, heavy snowfall isn't business as usual. I've lived in heavy snowfall latitudes, too. I understand that, while people in my former home in Minnesota may not bat an eye at this degree of winter weather, people here do, because it's not nearly as common. You get desensitized to the inconveniences, the potential dangers, the way it hampers meeting one's obligations, etc., when it's a common thing. When it happens infrequently, you don't.

It's also quite stressful when your work DOESN'T close, people DO expect you to get there, and you don't have the luxury of relaxing and taking the time to enjoy your contemplative, zen moment with your coffee, because the world around you hasn't, in fact, stopped. Like I said, I'm fortunate to not have that pressure (although the prospect of three days sans pay, which is what I'm looking at and counting, isn't promoting the most restful and calm of feelings). But many do.
I lived most of my life in snow country and worked and commuted in it for about 18 years. In Rochester, Albany, Omaha, and Kansas City. Never once in all that time was I expected to be at work when snow prevented me from getting there. Most typically, I was part of the crew who made it in when some others threw in the towel saying they couldn't. But nothing happened to the less-adventuresome. They came in the next day with jobs just as secure as anyone else.

So I've been there and I'm not buyin' the stress thing. I welcomed the days when a nice snowfall made it something of an adventure to get to work. And when I got there (always did), those work days were the most fun of all. Because for the first hour it was a party - with everyone sharing their own personal stories of the adventure. I wouldn't think for a moment about trading any of them for a boring sunny day, as they are a big part of my fond memories of living where there's actually weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 09:25 AM

5,740 posts, read 6,324,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I lived most of my life in snow country and worked and commuted in it for about 18 years. In Rochester, Albany, Omaha, and Kansas City. Never once in all that time was I expected to be at work when snow prevented me from getting there. Most typically, I was part of the crew who made it in when some others threw in the towel saying they couldn't. But nothing happened to the less-adventuresome. They came in the next day with jobs just as secure as anyone else.

So I've been there and I'm not buyin' the stress thing. I welcomed the days when a nice snowfall made it something of an adventure to get to work. And when I got there (always did), those work days were the most fun of all. Because for the first hour it was a party - with everyone sharing their own personal stories of the adventure. I wouldn't think for a moment about trading any of them for a boring sunny day, as they are a big part of my fond memories of living where there's actually weather.

There is weather everywhere, at every second of the day. A warm, sunny 85 degree day is just as much weather as cold and snow. In snow, everyone shuts up in their houses and hardly anyone leaves to do anything. When it is 85 and sunny, people are out everywhere doing all kinds of things. Yet, sunny is boring?

Some people work in industries where they are legally required to be at work. I work in financial services and as long as the stock market is trading, we have to be here or the SEC will fine us.

People get stressed by different things. You seem to have this idea that people should be exactly like you and people that are different are outsiders. Take your blinders off and stop posting veiled judgment of people because they arent like you.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:01 AM

3,328 posts, read 5,053,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
There is weather everywhere, at every second of the day. A warm, sunny 85 degree day is just as much weather as cold and snow. In snow, everyone shuts up in their houses and hardly anyone leaves to do anything. When it is 85 and sunny, people are out everywhere doing all kinds of things. Yet, sunny is boring?

Some people work in industries where they are legally required to be at work. I work in financial services and as long as the stock market is trading, we have to be here or the SEC will fine us.

People get stressed by different things. You seem to have this idea that people should be exactly like you and people that are different are outsiders. Take your blinders off and stop posting veiled judgment of people because they arent like you.
If you're shut up in your house during snow events or cold, that's your personal preference. I understand, because I simply don't venture out when the temps get north of 80-85. Anything going on between 75-80 better not be too strenuous, even then the humidity needs to be low. Of course I'll play along when other people are doing something and I'm invited.

Quote:
You're out of your dog damn mind. How can anyone sane enjoy snow? What's good about it? It's cold. It makes it hard to travel. It causes accidents. It makes you have to wear a lot of clothes to be comfortable.

Anything below 70 and any type of percipitation is crap weather in my book.

If you cant wear shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt then the weather sucks.
Quote:
You realize that not everyone has the physical ability to shovel a driveway?
Those same people probably can't mow their yard, rake leaves, or trim shrubs, yet shoveling snow is the bad guy here?
Also, those people are often susceptible to heat strokes. And yes, extreme cold probably doesn't do them much good either.

Quote:
Thank you. It cost money, causes delays, and a multitude of problems. And yes, the snow causes it directly.

It is an inconvenience. It stops certain people from living the lives they want to and stops them from getting to their responsibilities.

There was millions in lost revenue yesterday due to this storm and likely more today. We are in a recession and companies are already hurting.

There is nothing good about this weather. What is there to enjoy? It's frozen water in masses that causes slick roads, branches to snap and crash through cars and homes, causes power outages, and cause death.
People die of heat strokes daily in the summer.
Millions of revenue is also 'lost' because of floods, tornados, extreme wind, earthquakes, hurricanes, human err, and just plain bad drivers in perfectly 'good' weather. And we also insist on riding around on four rubber tires no matter what. That's our own fault.
No place exists that does not have at least two or three of those problems. Yet to some, snow and cold are the only things worth complaining about.

Last edited by northbound74; 02-04-2011 at 10:11 AM..

Old 02-04-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykamom View Post
I have to say, I attribute this new found hysteria, in part, to the Weather Channel and 24 hour news. I lived overseas for a few years in the early 90's and when I came back home to the states I felt the world had gone mad. Suddenly there were "weather events" and "high profile vehicle warnings" (which we used to call "wind") People could quote rainfall statistics and heaven knows what. When you need to find something to say about the weather 24 hours a day, you have to make a big deal of everything that happens. All the panic and negativity can be really contagious, as negativity always is. I know snow storms can be inconvenient and even dangerous, but I do think it pays to try to see the plesant things they offer too, as CrownVic points out.

Of course, I can talk. I am in the only place in the lower 48 without snow today. Although, according to my husband, it seems it is pretty much cleared up now and on to life as usual. Try to enjoy it!
I think you're absolutely right - great point!

Out here on the coast, a decent rain is a "weather event".

Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:

You know what? In over 3 years participating here, never once have I felt compelled to add a person to my ignore list outside of the POC forum. But I guess there's a first for everything.

Between the utterly empty and uninteresting content of your posts and your lack of respect for the TOS, I've seen enough to know that I don't need the annoyance of seeing any more.

You deserve Austin. Good day.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 PM

5,740 posts, read 6,324,130 times
Your post are no better than mine, you just disguise your jabs. At least I am man enough to say what needs to be said instead of hiding insults in the guise of conversation.

Yes, I do deserve my half million dollar home on Lake Travis. Thanks for recognizing that.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:53 PM

15,412 posts, read 21,525,781 times
Post Funny you mention that

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I know it's technically called the Mid Atlantic area?

I was just using it as an example, but from what I can tell, the weather in Maryland is very similar to that of Missouri, maybe even a bit warmer (in winter, cooler in summer).

When I think of "the Northeast" , I think of the urban corridor of cities from DC to Boston. I think a lot of people think that from that perspective. But I guess the Northeast is really the far northeastern states north of maybe Philly, but west to Buffalo?

Where is granitestater when I need him
I generally think of all cities along and north of DC as being
the Northeast. The rural areas of Maryland along the Chesapeake (sp)
have more commonalities with the Mid-Atlantic.
However, one also has the vast interior Northeast
area that is much more rural with Appalachian
influences. Garrett and Allegeny counties in
MD would be examples of highland interior Northeast
Appalachia.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:46 PM

6 posts, read 4,060 times
Snow ....what is snow ! We just purchased a house in KCMO. I live in Australia we never get snow where i am and i didnt even think much about it until i saw the photos of my house under snow ...... so funny !
I looked at your average temps. Bit different to here.Our temps range from lows 40's in the middle of winter to well hottest i have experienced was near to 120. Might have to come over and see what i bought someday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City