Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:08 PM

398 posts, read 993,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Just a troll.
KCMO people are always talking about how they don't need to go to Kansas for anything, and those people are never called trolls. So what this person did was just dish the same thing back at those people. Funny how it's a troll when it's someone saying they have everything they need on the Kansas side of the metro and don't need to go to Missouri, but when it's a KCMO resident saying that Kansas has nothing, they are not a troll, just a good citizen of KCMO.

I took this thread as humor. I don't take it seriously. If you can live in the KC metro on the Kansas side and NEVER go to the Missouri side, you are probably living a very boring life. But the point is that the Kansas side is like its own city of 700,000 people and if you live a lifestyle where you are comfortable with certain boundaries, you can live there and not go to KCMO if you don't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 02:21 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,399 times
How is this argument any different from another city. This argument could had the title What if (hypothetically) I never crossed Lake-Cook Rd?
This would refer to Lake County in Northern Suburbs of Chicago and Cook County the home of Chicago, it's pretty much is the same argument. Lake county is self sustaining area with huge companies like Abbot Labs, Allstate and Walgreens as well but i don't think Lake County people are bashing Chicago and refusing to go into Chicago for a nice meal, culture, or sporting events.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:27 PM

20 posts, read 56,393 times
What if i never left my house??????

Old 03-02-2011, 02:31 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
How is this argument any different from another city. This argument could had the title What if (hypothetically) I never crossed Lake-Cook Rd?
This would refer to Lake County in Northern Suburbs of Chicago and Cook County the home of Chicago, it's pretty much is the same argument. Lake county is self sustaining area with huge companies like Abbot Labs, Allstate and Walgreens as well but i don't think Lake County people are bashing Chicago and refusing to go into Chicago for a nice meal, culture, or sporting events.
Agreed. This is parochialism at its absolute stupidest.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:59 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
but i don't think Lake County people are bashing Chicago and refusing to go into Chicago for a nice meal, culture, or sporting events.
EXACTLY!!!!!

Why in the world would people from KCMO give a rip about Kansas and say they are not going to Kansas unless PROVOKED by the constant nonsense that Kansans spew about KCMO and the MO side.

I grew up in central KCMO and never ever thought one single bad thing about KS till I started hearing the insults toward the MO side from KS residents (they don't even know they do it half the time). We just considered it part of KC. Nothing more. Just like the northland or blue springs. Not a lot to do, but just typical suburban development and some nice malls. No big deal.

The OP of this thread is a prime example of the type of person that actually "initiates" this friction and drives people like me into having terrible attitudes directed back at KS.

Look at this other recent post before by the OP:

Quote:
LOL at the Dallas vs Forth Worth or Dallas vs Houston in these forums. You should take a visit to the Kansas City forums. Kansas City is split by a state line, not just any state line, a free-state vs slave-state line. Although of course no one really argues about slavery anymore, there is still a civil war type echo in people's attitudes. On the KS side (where I live), we complain about how ghetto the MO side is. On the MO side, they complain about how rich and spoiled we are (we're like west plano at the high end, and fairly redneck at the low end but still low crime). KS side has most of the jobs, and many MO side people commute to Overland Park. The long commute (by KC standards) probably adds to the frustration, as some of the MO side suburbs are really far away from both JoCo and the KC urban core. There are also some of the "vibrant" urbanist types that bash on JoCo for being all sprawled and what not, and there's no sprawl in MO either (sarcasm). I take it those exist on every major city's forum, suburbs vs city flame wars.
Really? The only people that keep the free state vs slave state crap alive and well is Kansans. It's not something that even remotely crosses the mind of most Missourians. I doubt most could tell you which was free and which wasn't and it sure as hell doesn't matter now. And it's JoCo people that are the ones screaming "free state" the most. JoCo was a huge keep the blacks out county and to this day many well off blacks avoid the county for reasons I won't get into. Sort of ironic to me...

He goes on to complain about
Quote:
how ghetto the MO side is
Ok here we go. This is where much of the friction and resentment starts. Sure, the MO side has ghetto. Guess what?, so does KCK and places like Topeka are not exactly paradise. But the MO side also has a vibrant urban center (something KS does not have at all) as well as suburbs that are just as nice as JoCo. Why do Kansans constantly call the MO side ghetto when they have a city like kck. I mean, at least kcmo has a vibrant and respectable urban core that people want to be a part of despite its ghetto areas.

Which brings up the next part of the quote.
Quote:
they complain about how rich and spoiled we are
That is something that Kansas people WANT to believe. Growing up in KCMO, we thought Mission Hills was nice and enjoyed driving through it, but the rest of JoCo was no more impressive than Raytown or Blue Springs and the new upscale crap outside of 435 is so common in every single developed city in America, it's hardly impressive, plus there is similar newer upscale development in the MO burbs only more lakes and trees and hills! What is to be jealous of that? Nothing and people are not jealous. THAT'S WHY THEY CHOOSE TO COMMUTE TO KS. They like the MO side better, not because they can't afford JoCo. Why is that so difficult to understand for JoCo people???

I raised my kids in urban kcmo and the mo suburbs and I would bet they have done more and seen more in their short lives than the vast majority of the adults in JoCo because that is our lifestyle choice. So when I get told I'm jealous of JoCo and their wealth, I can only laugh and walk away.

Now, you might get called a snob after you just described the MO side as ghetto. But the funny thing is, many JoCoers take being called a snob as a compliment as it justifies their image of being "rich and spoiled". Also, you might be called a snob for your pathetic excuses as to why the KS side refuses to join in on metro cultural funding like almost every other metro area in the country has found a way to establish across urban and suburban social lines.

Having said all that and acknowledging that the vast majority of the culture and attractions are simply on the MO side, it would be silly not to take advantage of what the KS side does offer and we did. If you can live in JoCo and never leave, so be it. That's the lifestyle you want, then enjoy your life as you please.

But quit acting like this is a two way street. This KS vs MO crap is mostly initiated by Kansans and their ignorant actions and words of wisdom about KCMO and MO which is extremely insulting to Missourians even though most tend to blow it off.

Sure there is general animosity of urban vs suburban friction which exists in Lee's Summit, the Northland and every other metro area in the USA and I spent plenty of effort promoting KCMO to the dummies in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit.

But the JoCo crowd has always taken that to the next level. There is even friction between joco and the mo suburbs which is just bizzare. I mean people in upscale areas of Lee's Summit are not fond of the "joco attitude". People in the northland have to defend their schools all the time as KS people always say they have the best schools or even the only good schools in the metro etc.

That added to the economic leaching and freeloading off of KCMO while at the same time hating it and ripping on it all the time gets old and it's the one thing I don't miss about KC. Every major city has problems and urban vs suburban friction. But KC is really in a league of its own when it comes to a lack of regional civic pride.

Last edited by kcmo; 03-02-2011 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-02-2011, 03:30 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
EXACTLY!!!!!

Why in the world would people from KCMO give a rip about Kansas and say they are not going to Kansas unless PROVOKED by the constant nonsense that Kansans spew about KCMO and the MO side.

I grew up in central KCMO and never ever thought one single bad thing about KS till I started hearing the insults toward the MO side from KS residents (they don't even know they do it half the time). We just considered it part of KC. Nothing more. Just like the northland or blue springs. Not a lot to do, but just typical suburban development and some nice malls. No big deal.

The OP of this thread is a prime example of the type of person that actually "initiates" this friction and drives people like me into having terrible attitudes directed back at KS.

Really? The only people that keep the free state vs slave state crap alive and well is Kansans. It's not something that even remotely crosses the mind of most Missourians. I doubt most could tell you which was free and which wasn't and it sure as hell doesn't matter now. And it's JoCo people that are the ones screaming "free state" the most. JoCo was a huge keep the blacks out county and to this day many well off blacks avoid the county for reasons I won't get into. Sort of ironic to me...

Ok here we go. This is where much of the friction and resentment starts. Sure, the MO side has ghetto. Guess what?, so does KCK and places like Topeka are not exactly paradise. But the MO side also has a vibrant urban center (something KS does not have at all) as well as suburbs that are just as nice as JoCo. Why do Kansans constantly call the MO side ghetto when they have a city like kck. I mean, at least kcmo has a vibrant and respectable urban core that people want to be a part of despite its ghetto areas.

That is something that Kansas people WANT to believe. Growing up in KCMO, we thought Mission Hills was nice and enjoyed driving through it, but the rest of JoCo was no more impressive than Raytown or Blue Springs and the new upscale crap outside of 435 is so common in every single developed city in America, it's hardly impressive, plus there is similar newer upscale development in the MO burbs only more lakes and trees and hills! What is to be jealous of that? Nothing and people are not jealous. THAT'S WHY THEY CHOOSE TO COMMUTE TO KS. They like the MO side better, not because they can't afford JoCo. Why is that so difficult to understand for JoCo people???

I raised my kids in urban kcmo and the mo suburbs and I would bet they have done more and seen more in their short lives than the vast majority of the adults in JoCo because that is our lifestyle choice. So when I get told I'm jealous of JoCo and their wealth, I can only laugh and walk away.

Now, you might get called a snob after you just described the MO side as ghetto. But the funny thing is, many JoCoers take being called a snob as a compliment as it justifies their image of being "rich and spoiled". Also, you might be called a snob for your pathetic excuses as to why the KS side refuses to join in on metro cultural funding like almost every other metro area in the country has found a way to establish across urban and suburban social lines.

Having said all that and acknowledging that the vast majority of the culture and attractions are simply on the MO side, it would be silly not to take advantage of what the KS side does offer and we did. If you can live in JoCo and never leave, so be it. That's the lifestyle you want, then enjoy your life as you please.

But quit acting like this is a two way street. This KS vs MO crap is mostly initiated by Kansans and their ignorant actions and words of wisdom about KCMO and MO which is extremely insulting to Missourians even though most tend to blow it off.

Sure there is general animosity of urban vs suburban friction which exists in Lee's Summit, the Northland and every other metro area in the USA and I spent plenty of effort promoting KCMO to the dummies in Blue Springs and Lee's Summit.

But the JoCo crowd has always taken that to the next level. There is even friction between joco and the mo suburbs which is just bizzare. I mean people in upscale areas of Lee's Summit are not fond of the "joco attitude". People in the northland have to defend their schools all the time as KS people always say they have the best schools or even the only good schools in the metro etc.

That added to the economic leaching and freeloading off of KCMO while at the same time hating it and ripping on it all the time gets old and it's the one thing I don't miss about KC. Every major city has problems and urban vs suburban friction. But KC is really in a league of its own when it comes to a lack of regional civic pride.
As i said before "just a troll".

Old 03-02-2011, 04:33 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
EXACTLY!!!!!

Feel better?

I think someone really misses Samantha....

Old 03-02-2011, 05:52 PM

398 posts, read 993,812 times
I don't take the Kansas vs. Missouri thing nearly as seriously in real life as it may appear online. It's like the sports rivalry between the University of Kansas and the University of Missouri. It's all in good fun. It's a friendly rivalry. Most people don't take it any more seriously than that. There is a lot of "talk", but it's only talk.

The important issues about jobs and transit are not Kansas vs. Missouri issues. It's more about urban vs. suburban, and the demographics of the people who live in Johnson County and what they value (low taxes, economic competition, individualism), and how those values conflict with what bi-state cooperation requires (sharing of taxation, economic cooperation, commuting on transit). You see the same thing with the Missouri suburbs in terms of how they interact with urban KCMO. It's about urban vs. suburban. The city of KCMO would have light rail if it wasn't for northland voters within the KCMO city limits voting it down. That's just one example. It's urban vs. suburban.

The state line thing is just a fun thing to tease each other about. In New York City, they tease each other about New York vs. New Jersey. New Jersey thinks that they own the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
You would be just fine never crossing the state line. I'm different than you in that I'm not single and not as young as you, I'm sure, but I am perfectly happy to stay in Kansas. Unless I want to go to a concert (pretty rare, and actually I prefer summer outdoor concerts at Sandstone - now Verizon Wireless) or have a craving for Houston's on the Plaza (they closed the location in Johnson County or I'd go there) or go to a Royals or Chiefs game (again, rare these days), I really have no reason to go into Missouri. I have taken classes at KU Edwards Campus and also have driven to Lawrence for classes - and it only takes 45 minutes to get to Lawrence. For furniture, Nebraska Furniture Mart works for me. Lots of shopping. Lots of newer/nicer apartment complexes than you'd find in KCMO. And low crime is at the top of my list.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 AM

20 posts, read 56,393 times
If you want low crime, stay away from OP. I heard a girl was abducted at that Target at 119th and Metcalf and was murdered. Plus Shawnee Mission Park is like a hotbed for assaults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City