Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 03:15 PM

267 posts, read 618,711 times

Advertisements

I was thinking, what if I never went onto the MO side for anything? I of course live in JoCo now. Granted this is hypothetical and not actually what anyone including myself would do, I was wondering, could I have a fulfilling life just fine? Just a thought exercise, though I know kcmo and the like will start with the flames, and possibly some cheers from Samantha. Disclaimer, I'm young single and not interested in marriage and/or kids.

Work. My current job and the one I hope to get soon are both in JoCo. Everyone I work with commutes from deep into MO.

Rent/Housing. Tons of apartment complexes. Rents are higher than most MO areas but not dramatically so, I've been looking and found good deals. Being close to jobs and other things is why rent is higher here I would guess.

Crime. Very little to speak of, most of the "crime" is petty theft or underage drinking, or the occasional domestic violence. These happen anywhere and don't concern me.

College. I'm gonna be through with BS soon, but if I wanted a graduate degree while being a working professional. Several options, like Ottawa, KU Edwards, KU itself (though an hour away so probably not), others I don't know about? I'm really sick of the traditional universities anyway.

Taxes. I'm not sure what the rates are, but I doubt they are significantly different from the MO side. Though it seems a lot of taxes within KCMO itself are higher (like sales tax around 10%... ouch!) I don't smoke cigarettes so the less taxes on that in MO doesn't affect me.

Groceries. I'm a big fan of Whole Foods, and both locations are in JoCo. One of the TJ's is going to be here too. For Oriental foods, there's the huge 888 market on 119th. I know I've seen several Indian and Pakistani markets here too if that were my thing. I'm sure there are also Mexican groceries if I'm so inclined.

Driving. JoCo's grid makes life easy, with nice boulevards. MO is a pain to drive in, and the roads are of less quality. Though I will give lots of credit to MoDOT for fixing and repaving most of the freeways around here, and the rebuild of Grandview Triangle. Still JoCo has recently done the same repaving on most stretches too and we have the massive 69 widening which should make some drives easier. The specific areas I'm looking at have a lot of things close by anyway.

Shopping. The shopping areas are rather fragmented, though most everything I would want is here. Oak Park Mall has the brands I would want. If not them, there's Town Center Plaza. Hopefully that new mall on 135th and Metcalf takes off someday lol. Most shopping here is in simple strip mall form, whereas MO side somewhat bunches up things (like Zona and Indep. Center). The only brand(s) I think I would want that are only on the Plaza are the Armani brands and I guess North Face. And the Plaza has tons of annoying beggars anyway and parking isn't as easy (though by no means difficult either). Zona and Indep. have the same stores I'd find over here. Legends is okay, not awesome though, although I do enjoy it on summer Friday nights when things light up. For tech stuff, Micro Center on Metcalf is my favorite. For furniture, why doesn't the KC area have an IKEA? Crate and Barrel is nice but way out of my budget.

Nightlife. This is one where KCMO would likely do better, and I do think Westport is fun. However I'm not much a fan of bars anymore, preferring parties with my friends. There's always Lawrence too when I want that kind of thing. In JoCo itself, I like the Mission Theatre for some events. The only thing I would absolutely need to go to MO side for would be big concerts, at Sprint Center, Beaumont, or Uptown. JoCo has most of the smaller shows.

Sports. I'm not a fan of watching sports anyway, certainly not of our teams. I guess if you were a fan who went to games well duh both stadia are over there. But aren't there a lot of fans who would just sit and home and watch them without paying for it? lol again not my thing.

Fitness. JoCo has two locations of Lifetime Fitness. Win.

Again this is hypothetical and not really serious, but a counter to those who say they don't need JoCo for anything. So take it all in good fun when you're flaming me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 03:36 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
We won't miss you at all. Do as you like. This isn't a flame. Although you have wasted a huge amount of electrons. lol

Old 03-01-2011, 03:38 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,399 times
Shouldn't this question be answered on the Kansas forum.
This does say City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri> Kansas City

How would you ever fly. Drive to Wichita and pay triple the price?
Good Restaurants? Seems like all the nationally recognized places are in KCMO, JoCo has the standard chain fare if thats what your into, which is most likely.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:42 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
What airport would you fly out of?

Also, do you ever drive drunk? I was stunned at how some high school friends who live in the suburbs will drive home exceedingly drunk. It's nice that I never have to do that. Last weekend I played a few rounds of pool with my SO, split a couple of pitchers and rolled home

I notice you didn't mention any cultural activities at all. That would be a major sticking point for our lifestyle. Whether it be as cerebral as a new play by a grad student at UMKC or as silly as a comedy show at a place in the Crossroads. Not a lot of places to see new independent movies in JoCo either which would bum me out personally.

The second biggest for me would have to be food. The SO and I are definite foodies. There are plenty of places that aren't a chain in JoCo and I've had good food at a few of them, but the breadth and depth of non-chain fine dining is, on the KS side certainly lacking in comparison to KC proper.

From where I live I can walk to all the restaurants on 39th St West, all the entertainment in Westport, the little strip of restaurants and shops on Westport Rd., the shopping and dining on the Plaza, several parks, a grocery store and numerous convenience stores. And of course, bonus for me, I can walk to work. Walkability is truly one of my core values. In the times of my life when I have been more stagnant and car-oriented I have been less happy. period.

I always suggest people find a place to live that factors in both their lifestyle choices as well as their commute into the city. If you are fine with a 100% car-oriented lifestyle and work in JoCo, then more power to you. I, personally, would die of boredom.

One final note: Car crashes in the US caused 33,808 deaths in 2009 (that's right about twice the number of people who were murdered in that same year). The less time I spend in my car, the less likely I am to end up in that stat.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:54 PM

20 posts, read 56,393 times
Different strokes for different folks but you couldn't pay me to hang out in a Johnson County bar as a young/single person.

But hey, they do have great schools.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:57 PM

20 posts, read 56,393 times
Kinda reminds me of a gf I dated from a really rural county. Her brother was so proud he had never left the county. I don't know why anyone would want to bubble themselves off and live in their own little island when there are so many cool things to see and do around a metro area, around a state, and around our country.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:59 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,399 times
What if i never crossed State Line?

My Life would be the same, i have everything i need here. I don't think I am dependent on anything in Kansas.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:06 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
I'd go nuts. I live in Joco, but I love the city, any city. If I never crossed State Line Rd., I'd never get to the River Market...or Suburban garden center -- and that would kill me. Gotta get my Suburban fix as often as I can, and weekend mornings at City Market in spring and summer are just the best.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:29 PM

91 posts, read 213,431 times
By what you've said, you'd probably be fine. It's a bit strange that Kansas City would never possibly have anything you need or want, but whatever floats your boat.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:21 PM

398 posts, read 993,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Not a lot of places to see new independent movies in JoCo either which would bum me out personally.
Some of the best independent movie theaters in the metro are in JoCo, operated by the Fine Arts Group. Glenwood Arts and the Rio.

Link: The Fine Arts Theatre Group Proudly Presents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City