Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:40 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times

Advertisements

I would add Union Hill and the River Market, both are quaint urban neighborhoods close to entertainment districts etc and only 10 minutes from KU med.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 08:26 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
Did you end up finding a place? Volker is a no-brainer. Can walk to KU Med. Has a great pedestrian strip with lots of ethnic restaurants. Second best option would be W Plaza in terms of being close to KU Med.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:09 AM

4 posts, read 9,504 times
I would suggest Southern Leavenworth County for quick and easy access to shops just 5 minutes away and University of Kansas is not very far away. I would look towards Basehor as they are offering 100% tax rebate for a few years.

Check out homebasehor.org

Old 04-10-2011, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 16,747 times
XenoKC - I haven't found a place yet - been mainly looking online. I'll let you guys know where I decide to stay once I come and visit in May and take a look around. Thanks for the suggestion of Volker - the strip of ethnic restaurants is the definitely enticing!

Dennis- Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,207 times
There's a great renaissance of lofts and apartments going on downtown, but Waldo seems to be one of the hotspots for local eateries and nightlife for young people, especially the amazing pizza joint, Waldo Pizza or smokestack BBQ up the way. Although Brookside and the Plaza have a lot in common with the nightlife vibe and young professionals/families, too. When are you dropping in on good ol KC?

Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 AM

13 posts, read 24,252 times
I agree w plaza area. I live in hyde park midtown area (enjoy it a lot), but that's where we picked when we moved to KC a year ago. I'm in my mid 20's and would have chosen west plaza area if I would have done more research. And I agree w. everyone about not listening to the joco only stuff. I have yet to figure out what is so absolutely fantastic about it... It's just a suburb but it's all about preference. I live in a Mac property management apartment. They are kind of pricey depending on what building you choose but the staff is absolutely wonderful (have no complaints) and most know us by name. Also most of the apartments have gated parking. It's relatively safe but I dont know if I would be walking around the area at 3 am alone, etc.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:27 PM

40 posts, read 70,251 times
I would have to agree with a lot of the input on here. I moved here a year ago and have had a chance to look around a lot, and you won't find a better place closer to KU med than Volker - the prices are very reasonable and it is an extremely cool neighborhood.

My other suggestions, as a few other people mentioned on here, would be the West Plaza and Westport. both of these are very unique neighborhoods much like Volker, and are filled with restaurants, bars, and young professionals alike. I'm currently working on a move to Westport, so I'm all about that area down there! And really, unless you're looking for something more suburban, I'd look more on the Missouri side. The Kansas side, albeit very nice, has a very suburban feel. While there is still a decent amount of young professionals who live in that area and while all of the amenities would be near by, if you're young and single, you will probably want to stick to somewhere more in the urban core.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,661 times
Default KC is overrated

I just moved to KC, MO. I may be wrong but most of the things are way below my expectation. I also moved from the west as well. I visted KC before I moved but living here is very different from visting. I live in westport area but I don't like it, it is too bohemian. However, it depends on what you like,, where you work, what you do for fun and your lifestyle. IMO-KC in general is old and dirty, or it's not well kept and people don't mow their lawn...... Don't get me wrong the plaza, downtown, Zona Rosa, overland park, lenexa and leawood areas are beautiful but those areas don't represent the entire KC. People repeatdly speak about 39th st entertainment. It depends on what you like. 39th st is getto. Housing in KC is much expensive than I taught for some crappy apts/condos. KC is not LA, Chicago, or Boston, people shouldn't pay $1600 to live here. It is not urban or suburban, I think KC is overrated. What is wrong with all these old houses, crazy drivers, and coated asphalt everywhere? and several heavy people. Somethings are just depressing. I will be out of here soon. Oh, I must say people are amazingly freindly and nice.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:52 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longfingers View Post
I just moved to KC, MO. I may be wrong but most of the things are way below my expectation. I also moved from the west as well. I visted KC before I moved but living here is very different from visting. I live in westport area but I don't like it, it is too bohemian. However, it depends on what you like,, where you work, what you do for fun and your lifestyle. IMO-KC in general is old and dirty, or it's not well kept and people don't mow their lawn...... Don't get me wrong the plaza, downtown, Zona Rosa, overland park, lenexa and leawood areas are beautiful but those areas don't represent the entire KC. People repeatdly speak about 39th st entertainment. It depends on what you like. 39th st is getto. Housing in KC is much expensive than I taught for some crappy apts/condos. KC is not LA, Chicago, or Boston, people shouldn't pay $1600 to live here. It is not urban or suburban, I think KC is overrated. What is wrong with all these old houses, crazy drivers, and coated asphalt everywhere? and several heavy people. Somethings are just depressing. I will be out of here soon. Oh, I must say people are amazingly freindly and nice.
Only several heavy people? We must be the leaniest city in the universe.

Please explain to me how W 39th is ghetto. Please share your personal concept of "ghetto"? What is "ghetto" exactly? Can you name the areas you think are "old and dirty"? Where are these "old houses" that are "wrong"? Can you name the areas where you're seeing lawns not mowed? Somehow I've missed all of this stuff.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:08 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I have never heard anyone call 39th Street West ghetto; that's certainly a new one to me. All the ghettos I know sure have vegan coffeeshops and Chipotles in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City