Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2016, 08:44 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
You are truly tough to stump! Correct again.

That old Benton School was built in 1903 according to the school web site. The old Benton closed in 1952 at the age of 49.

The new Benton School opened in 1952 and is now 64 years old. Seems hard to believe to those of us who were around when the new Benton opened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 10:44 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Where was I when I took this shot back in 1983?

Old 04-08-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Where was I when I took this shot back in 1983?

Kiger Road looking south toward Truman Road.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Kiger Road looking south toward Truman Road.
Yup!

Old 04-08-2016, 05:24 PM

I might add that that is one fork of Spring Branch flowing or dribbling under the bridge where the truck is crossing. We had some lively discussion on here one time about the different forks of Spring Branch and I think there is a North Fork, South Fork, and Middle Fork. This one might be North Fork.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:09 AM

Fifty years ago this week in Independence from the Examiner.

The Missouri Water Co. opened for business at its new blue and white building at Truman Road and Forest Avenue. Independence Mayor L.F.P. Curry, Sugar Creek Mayor R.J. Roper and James Nicol of the First National Bank greeted Garvin Dyer, vice president of the company, at the opening of the new office.

[The company moved from the southeast corner of Liberty and Kansas. I suppose the Sugar Creek mayor attended because the town got their water from the company. The company was headquartered in University City, Mo. But had only had operations in that town and in Independence. At some point, the city took over the water operations.]

Under a new policy, ROTC personnel at William Chrisman High School will be employed from among retired military by the Board of Education rather than being assigned by the Army. All present ROTC at the school, including Sgt. Raymond Eklund, are scheduled for termination July 1.

[At one time there were four active duty Army personnel headed by a Captain teaching ROTC at Chrisman. I don’t know whether they are saying ROTC will be terminated or whether the Army personnel were being terminated. Even though the Army paid their salaries, the active duty types were considered teachers employed by the school and were required to attend teacher’s meetings, etc. The captain used to supervise ticket taking at the home football games and one of the sergeants supervised ticket taking at the home basketball games. After a three-year assignment they went back to their regular military jobs in some corner of the world.]

One-hundred years ago this week in Independence from the Examiner:

Mrs. Maggie Chrisman Swope has deeded to the Independence School District the plot of ground at Union Street between Maple Avenue and Lexington, where Judge G.L. Chrisman now lives. The ground is to be used as a site for the new high school building, the only condition being that the new high school shall be called the William Chrisman school as a memorial to Mrs. Swope’s father, the later William Chrisman. The ground is estimated to be worth $15,000.

[The Remnant Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, one of many split offs of the Community Church of Christ, now has its world headquarters in the old school that once held 1,500(?) students in the 50s.]

Dr. Leonard Harrington, in charge of the Independence Sanitarium, has just completed the installation of a large new X-Ray machine. The machine and installation cost $2,000. This is the last word in scientific work in such machines. Marvelous things can be done with this machine and it is a great help to the surgeon. With the machine is, of course, the attachment for the making of photographs and for every varied use such machines are put to the aid of health giving work.

[This would have been the building on Truman Road that became a nursing school dormitory after a new hospital was built and then became a helicopter pad and then a parking lot.]

Old 04-09-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I might add that that is one fork of Spring Branch flowing or dribbling under the bridge where the truck is crossing. We had some lively discussion on here one time about the different forks of Spring Branch and I think there is a North Fork, South Fork, and Middle Fork. This one might be North Fork.

Good catch! That would indeed be a portion of the Spring Branch. This one originates near Truman and Noland, although it is also fed by the Hocker Heights hillside and French Acres. Many fingers of water create a creek!

Old 04-09-2016, 10:06 AM

239 posts, read 257,287 times
Had a surprise this week! The 50+ Pharmacy on the square apparently closed. It was very abrupt. The sign on their building at 211 W Lexington thanked customers for the 48 years of it's existence, and stated they had merged with the CVS off 23rd and Crysler!!

Old 04-09-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Good catch! That would indeed be a portion of the Spring Branch. This one originates near Truman and Noland, although it is also fed by the Hocker Heights hillside and French Acres. Many fingers of water create a creek!

It is difficult for me to believe but Spring Branch appears to be the largest water shed, creek wise, in Independence. I thought I saw somewhere that it covered around 14 square miles.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
Had a surprise this week! The 50+ Pharmacy on the square apparently closed. It was very abrupt. The sign on their building at 211 W Lexington thanked customers for the 48 years of it's existence, and stated they had merged with the CVS off 23rd and Crysler!!
48 years would seem to have them locating there in 1968.

Wonder where the 50+ name comes from?

I am trying to think what was there before '68. Seems to me it might have been another drug store or maybe a barber shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City