Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Not for sure, but it sounds like they're going to build a bridge over the RR tracks just east of, and just after, you cross Little Blue Parkway (old Selsa).
I went back to the city web site and re-read what is available on the bridge and they only mention a bridge over the Little Blue River and widening 39th where it is two lane now. That looks to be less than a mile. The site mentions having to acquire property from 7 owners.

That RR though is at grade level on a street that can only get busier as the years progress.
Maybe they do not intend to take into consideration the railroad unless the traffic on the line increases. That is the same line that went by where my folks bought their second house in Independence in 1963 and the line was not very busy back then. I am thinking one or two trains a day at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 02:59 PM

The 39th Street four lane bridge over the Little Blue River is $3.6 m.

The city is also replacing an old bridge on Bly Road over Bundschu Creek. The cost is $2.1 m. That seems to be a serious cost for a two lane bridge but who knows they may be looking ahead in that area by making it wider.

Bly Road runs from 78 Highway north to Bundschu Road.

I use to chuckle when we would go by Bly Road as a youngster. It was a strange name to me. I had no idea where that name came from but now I am wondering if it might have been named after Nellie Bly. Nellie Bly was a liberated (had to be) female working as a reporter for a New York newspaper. She went around the world in 72 days in 1888, writing as she went. Come to think of it, she might have come through Independence by train, chuckle.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:01 PM

There was some discussion several posts ago about the Independence Fairgrounds. The fairground area involved seemed to be quite large covering several square blocks and was immediately south of 23rd Street beginning at the end of Fair Street.

My first thought was why Independence would have a fairground and then my brain kicked in: Since Independence was the county seat of Jackson County the fairground land would be used for the Jackson County Fair. That Independence fairground is long gone and there are houses there now.

I don’t ever remember Independence being the site of the county fair. I do remember attending the county fair in Lee’s Summit. I went there one year in the early 50s but have no recollection other than seeing some animals in my memory bank.

I am wondering if the Jackson County Fair is still held in Lee’s Summit or maybe further east now.

I never attended the Missouri State Fair but I have attended the Colorado State Fair and it seems to be a costly thing of the past with dwindling participation by farm people each year.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:58 PM

For many years just north of 23rd Street on Maywood Avenue, if one wanted to cross Rock Creek after a rain, you simply drove into the creek on a low water crossing to continue on Maywood.

After really high rains, one could not make a crossing because the water was swift and deep. People had to take another street as best they could. I actually liked driving through the water to cross the creek but mentally noted many times that this was a bush league way to cross water in a rather big city.

This water crossing was the story before the 50s and during the 60s, 70s, 80s and maybe even 90s until the city finally constructed a good bridge across the creek.

Maywood was an important thoroughfare but a bridge there just did not ever seem to have a priority for many, many years.

Right in that same vicinity is Hill Park. When the county owned the park, one crossed Rock Creek inside that park by driving through the water. This crossing I really enjoyed because it was in a park setting and not on a thoroughfare. Some people would stop in the creek and wash their car. But when the city took over the park they closed the low water crossing. Big mistake if you ask me.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 PM

If one is going north on Maywood Avenue from 23rd Street and crossing the Rock Creek bridge you eventually come to 18th Street.

Turning east on 18th for a block or two one comes to, in my opinion, a most dangerous and narrow railroad overpass. This bridge is probably a relic from the early 1900s or even earlier. The two automobile lanes are not only compartmentalized but the side clearance for cars going in each direction is really bad.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:53 PM

778 posts, read 1,023,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
There was some discussion several posts ago about the Independence Fairgrounds. The fairground area involved seemed to be quite large covering several square blocks and was immediately south of 23rd Street beginning at the end of Fair Street.

My first thought was why Independence would have a fairground and then my brain kicked in: Since Independence was the county seat of Jackson County the fairground land would be used for the Jackson County Fair. That Independence fairground is long gone and there are houses there now.

I don’t ever remember Independence being the site of the county fair. I do remember attending the county fair in Lee’s Summit. I went there one year in the early 50s but have no recollection other than seeing some animals in my memory bank.

I am wondering if the Jackson County Fair is still held in Lee’s Summit or maybe further east now.

I never attended the Missouri State Fair but I have attended the Colorado State Fair and it seems to be a costly thing of the past with dwindling participation by farm people each year.

This photo shows the Indep. Fairgrounds on a 1912 Jackson Co. map:
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-location-indep.-fairgrounds-1912-jackson-co.  

Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
For many years just north of 23rd Street on Maywood Avenue, if one wanted to cross Rock Creek after a rain, you simply drove into the creek on a low water crossing to continue on Maywood.

After really high rains, one could not make a crossing because the water was swift and deep. People had to take another street as best they could. I actually liked driving through the water to cross the creek but mentally noted many times that this was a bush league way to cross water in a rather big city.

This water crossing was the story before the 50s and during the 60s, 70s, 80s and maybe even 90s until the city finally constructed a good bridge across the creek.

Maywood was an important thoroughfare but a bridge there just did not ever seem to have a priority for many, many years.

Right in that same vicinity is Hill Park. When the county owned the park, one crossed Rock Creek inside that park by driving through the water. This crossing I really enjoyed because it was in a park setting and not on a thoroughfare. Some people would stop in the creek and wash their car. But when the city took over the park they closed the low water crossing. Big mistake if you ask me.

Didn't traveling north of 23rd on Arlington, ford Rock Creek too, at some point in time?

I agree about closing the crossing. My folks would always tell me about how when they were dating, they would go to Hill Park to wash my Dad's car. That was their "date"!

Last edited by SilverDoc; 10-03-2012 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-03-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Didn't traveling north of 23rd on Arlington, ford Rock Creek too, at some point in time?
Could have. From my personal experience, I cannot recall traveling Arlington.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
This photo shows the Indep. Fairgrounds on a 1912 Jackson Co. map:
This map continues to boggle my imagination, not only from the size of the Independence fairground but also because my street of Harkless north of the fairground existed in 1912, chuckle.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:

I agree about closing the crossing. My folks would always tell me about how when they were dating, they would go to Hill Park to wash my Dad's car. That was their "date"!
Quote:
This map continues to boggle my imagination, not only from the size of the Independence fairground but also because my street of Harkless north of the fairground existed in 1912, chuckle.

My street, (South Jones Rd. There was a North Jones that was there first.) didn't exist, until sometime after 1931. I haven't been able to pin point for sure just when that was. I do know it was before 1941, so somewhere in the decade between 1931 & 1941.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City