Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 03:32 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,717,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

This Illinois Central Gulf train derailment took place along 35th Street a couple hundred feet west of what is now the short section of south Kiger. The engine stayed on the tracks.

The derailment occurred in June 1973.

and all the cars involved were still laying along the right of way where they had been pushed to repair the track.

I walked across 35th Street from my parents’ house and took a number of 35mm photos but have no idea where they are.

The cars were not removed for quite some time.

I came home from Thailand in September 1973

Did you ever do business in Pat Pong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 03:39 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
Quote:
I can recall walking around the open air mall during the winter time and the wind would whistle through the place something fierce. It was really uncomfortable shopping there in cold weather.

So when did it go in a closet?
Perhaps around 1971...

Old 03-07-2017, 08:39 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Perhaps around 1971...
Chuckle, was not hard to determine was it?

Old 03-07-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I came home from Thailand in September 1973

Did you ever do business in Pat Pong?
Well, I, uh, uhm, gee, does the 5th amendment fit in here?

Old 03-08-2017, 01:02 PM

778 posts, read 1,010,210 times
Holke rd runs south from Truman, and connects with M-78 (23rd st)

Shrank Rd. still exists on the west side of 291 and dead ends at Van Hook Park.

[/color]

Quote:
I am thinking this is a city-produced map that has not been changed in years. It originates from a city department that had maybe a part time individual (an amateur) working on it. He has no budget for maps but works fruitlessly, somehow, to keep a map up to date. Maybe he did not even have a Leroy lettering set.

From this map, it looks like R.D. Mize originally started at Noland Road rather than Leslie Street. 23rd has both a 23rd label and an Alton Street label.

Looks like there is a Turner Street extension off Stone Ave. Turner is no longer there.

Something called Sunrise Drive is coming south off 23rd Street just west of Randall. No longer exists.

The airport also has generic runways, which appear to be of a “copied from somewhere else” nature or it may have been included with the Leroy lettering set templates. There were one or two runways running parallel north to south with an additional runway or two running off the main runway in a northwest direction.

Holke Road, today, is not accessible directly from 23rd Street.

Shields Street between Rankin and Golden Lane no longer exists.

Shrank Road no longer exists on the west side of 71 By-Pass/M-291.

Looks like 35th Street was at one time called something else, maybe Shelley Lane.

Jersey Street west of Liberty no longer exists.

“CHAS” street to the west of Charles Street no longer exists.

There are probably other discrepancies.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Holke rd runs south from Truman, and connects with M-78 (23rd st)

Shrank Rd. still exists on the west side of 291 and dead ends at Van Hook Park.

[/color]

Guess I should have clarified that it was the west end of the east-west portion of Holke that was no longer accessible from 23rd Street.

At one time, at what is now Redwood Avenue one could veer slightly to the right off 23rd and enter the west end of Holke heading east.

Today, there is an inaccessible unmaintained looking stub section of Holke just short of Redwood. I am wondering why the city designed it that way--unless someone thought there might be a safety issue with an intersection at Redwood.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:08 PM

Ahh, Pace School Bus Service. I remember the company well.

I walked to McCoy School but I rode Pace bus #2 to Independence Junior High School and rode #22 home. Bus #2 looked and groaned like it was from the year the company started. The driver was a quiet old man, but many times there was a substitute.

#22 was a modern flat nose bus. There was only one driver and her name was “Lulu,” a no-nonsense gal. You did what she told you to do or you were kicked off the bus. In 1954, #22 was the 22nd of 22 buses the company owned. The company grew by leaps and bounds and in 1973, this bus is numbered 171, but they may not have reused numbers for busses sold or discarded, since several articles say they had 90 drivers.

By the time, I arrived at high school and received my driver’s license, no self-respecting boy wanted to be caught dead on a school bus. They were all loaded with girls—with a few exceptions sprinkled here and there.

In 1959, there was only one girl who drove a car to the new William Chrisman—The parking lot was the same parking lot the school now has, but was half the size and entirely gravel.

The Pace School Bus Company parked their buses off of Woodlawn and 23rd Street. Another bus company is at that location today and the Independence school bus facility out on Powell Road looks like it has about eighty buses.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:51 PM

What memories or associations come to mind when I mention the name "Jerry Mason"?

Old 03-08-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
What memories or associations come to mind when I mention the name "Jerry Mason"?
Only thing I could think of would be a canning jar.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Only thing I could think of would be a canning jar.
You may have left town before Jerry Mason was known. I'm not sure when he came into the limelight, but I know he was in it during 1963.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City