Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 03:04 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times

Advertisements

Kansas City Times, December 15, 1953.

This date would have been when I was in seventh grade at Independence Junior High.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 12:08 AM

239 posts, read 257,218 times
You guys are so good I thought you might know off the top of your head! I can definitely check into it more. I did go by there yesterday, and I did not see where it said these words on the building. So the person might have been mistaken, unless I just happened to miss it, but I looked pretty good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Have not been able to find anything concerning the location of a morgue at that location in any of the Sanborn maps. Apparently, no mention of an Independence city morgue in any of the old Kansas City Journal or Kansas City Times issues. Kansas City, though, was trying to establish a city morgue in the early 1900s.

In 1909, Thomas Swope (Swope murders) was taken to Ott’s Furniture store where there was apparently a mortuary in the basement. No address mentioned for the furniture store.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:24 AM

Where was Elm Park?

It had its own train station.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:35 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times
Quote:
Where was Elm Park?

It had its own train station.
Was it between Oak Park and Walnut Park?

Old 11-26-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Was it between Oak Park and Walnut Park?

Here is a hint. It was served by the Missouri Pacific RR.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Have not been able to find anything concerning the location of a morgue at that location in any of the Sanborn maps. Apparently, no mention of an Independence city morgue in any of the old Kansas City Journal or Kansas City Times issues. Kansas City, though, was trying to establish a city morgue in the early 1900s.

In 1909, Thomas Swope (Swope murders) was taken to Ott’s Furniture store where there was apparently a mortuary in the basement. No address mentioned for the furniture store.

Ott's Furniture was a three story building on the northeast corner of Main and Maple that occupied a portion of what is now the Emporium. It had a morgue and undertaking in the basement, probably accessed by a Lynn Street entrance.

Tucker Furniture later occupied the building before moving over to the 200-west block of Lexington. Save-Mor drug store seems to have then went into the building.

The building burned in 1949. The S.S. Kresge dime then rebuilt the building integrating it into their existing store just to the south on Main that abutted Bundschu's department store.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Here is a hint. It was served by the Missouri Pacific RR.
Would that be the name for the "temporary" depot at Liberty & Short?

Old 11-27-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Would that be the name for the "temporary" depot at Liberty & Short?
No.

One newspaper printed that it was three miles east of Independence.

However, another newspaper printed that it was four to five miles west of Independence.

I question both those descriptions, though.

It definitely was in Blue Township and was being considered by one newspaper report to become a designated polling place, apparently because of population growth in the area.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:40 AM

I see where the former Rockwood Country Club has been purchased by the city for another solar farm and open space to boot.

Elm Park was about 2.5 miles, as the crow flies, from the area of this new proposed solar farm.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
No.

One newspaper printed that it was three miles east of Independence.

However, another newspaper printed that it was four to five miles west of Independence.

I question both those descriptions, though.

It definitely was in Blue Township and was being considered by one newspaper report to become a designated polling place, apparently because of population growth in the area.
I haven't found it on any of my old maps yet. What time-frame does it appear in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City