Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 07:20 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,254,141 times

Advertisements

1141 pages. Probably the most popular thread in America. Just shows the beauty of Independence. If you please, I have a question for someone who still lives in Independence. Somewhere around a dozen years ago, they built a new hospital on East 39th street at (I think) Hwy 291. Question: Has anyone built a hotel nearby?

Thank you. hazel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 08:09 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
1141 pages. Probably the most popular thread in America. Just shows the beauty of Independence. If you please, I have a question for someone who still lives in Independence. Somewhere around a dozen years ago, they built a new hospital on East 39th street at (I think) Hwy 291. Question: Has anyone built a hotel nearby?

Thank you. hazel

Howdy Hazel, nice to see you here again. Yes, there are numerous hotels near the Centerpoint Hospital. Along Jackson Drive south of the hospital are Staybridge Suites, and Hilton Garden Inn; just west of the hospital are Fairfield Inn and Residence Inn.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1953 View Post
Picture One shows El Pico going in at 108 W. Maple. Knoepker's Department Store was located at 108 West Maple from 1896 to 1982. The store was originally at 108, and was burned down near the turn of the century. The very back portion was saved and you can still see the charred oak ceiling wood near the back of 108 W. Maple, since they used the saved portion when they rebuilt and added 106 W. Maple. They started out selling fabric and piece-goods, moving on to ready-to-wear clothing in the middle of the century. In the 1960's and 1970's we had women's clothing on two floors in 106 W. Maple, and Men's clothing in the first floor only of 108 W. Maple. The offices were located on the second floor of 108 W. Maple.
Chuck Knoepker

I was in Knoepker's many times and never noticed the charred oak. Thanks for the history.

Back in the early 1970s I probably met you, I was the paperboy on the Square for The Examiner. If'n my feeble memory is correct I delivered to your store.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:11 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,254,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Howdy Hazel, nice to see you here again. Yes, there are numerous hotels near the Centerpoint Hospital. Along Jackson Drive south of the hospital are Staybridge Suites, and Hilton Garden Inn; just west of the hospital are Fairfield Inn and Residence Inn.

Thank you. I have copied them down. May need to pay a visit over yonder. Take care. hazelm

Old 07-27-2018, 10:48 AM

2,372 posts, read 2,760,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1953 View Post
Picture One shows El Pico going in at 108 W. Maple. Knoepker's Department Store was located at 108 West Maple from 1896 to 1982. The store was originally at 108, and was burned down near the turn of the century. The very back portion was saved and you can still see the charred oak ceiling wood near the back of 108 W. Maple, since they used the saved portion when they rebuilt and added 106 W. Maple. They started out selling fabric and piece-goods, moving on to ready-to-wear clothing in the middle of the century. In the 1960's and 1970's we had women's clothing on two floors in 106 W. Maple, and Men's clothing in the first floor only of 108 W. Maple. The offices were located on the second floor of 108 W. Maple.
Chuck Knoepker
Great to see a Knoepker here. I was in the store many times, as my Grandmother worked there part time for many years (she lived just a few blocks down Maple, and could often walk to work). Before joining this thread, I had imagined K's on the Lexington side for some reason, but my colleagues here and Polk's (thanks MAD) set me straight.

I don't remember much about the store. Not the charring. The outdoor sign/logo of course. And either stairs or escalator to the second floor. Seems like it was an escalator? Anyway, I recall it being on the right side of the store. Or do I have this wrong also?

Welcome. Avid posters are MVPs here. We veterans don't mind rehashing prior topics as we've either forgotten or enjoy hearing others' perspectives.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 07-27-2018 at 10:59 AM..

Old 07-28-2018, 04:12 AM

2,372 posts, read 2,760,558 times
Default Wchs’59

It is with sadness to inform readers of the recent passing of our friend and most prolific poster, WCHS’59. Those who have spent some time on this thread quickly realize his depth of interest and knowledge on a variety of topics, particularly his beloved Independence.

Rest In Peace, Friend

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 07-28-2018 at 04:30 AM..

Old 07-28-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
It is with sadness to inform readers of the recent passing of our friend and most prolific poster, WCHS’59. Those who have spent some time on this thread quickly realize his depth of interest and knowledge on a variety of topics, particularly his beloved Independence.

Rest In Peace, Friend

He will indeed be missed! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:15 PM

68 posts, read 38,359 times
Unhappy Our loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
He will indeed be missed! Thanks for sharing this with us.
In my short time here, I very much enjoyed and looked forward to his entries. Very sad to hear of his passing. God Bless.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:29 AM

68 posts, read 38,359 times
Default Wonderings......

I have 3 things that bother me a bit and am looking for answers.

First, why the heck was an Egyptian theme chosen for the theaters on the square? It used to be Square
Cinema and fit in nicely in that historic part of town. It still would with a different paint job and a new sign.

Second, who decided to paint all the electric or traffic control boxes? The stainless steel didn't look that bad.....now they look like a renegade 1st grade class of graffiti artists is on the loose.

Lastly....what is with the "war zone" on Noland Road? All those buildings bulldozed yet nothing built after all these years. And if I remember correctly, the city allowed imminent domain to be used. What the heck!?

No offense to anyone, just wondering.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:00 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,382,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

Rest In Peace, Friend
Thanks for letting us know.

Although I don't have any ties to Independence and haven't participated in this thread, it's quite amazing how long this thread has been active.

I believe the OP has passed on as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City