Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 08:49 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times

Advertisements

Here is a cut and paste from Wikipedia showing notable graduates of William Chrisman High School:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 AM

Wikipedia list of notable graduates from Van Horn High School

Rick Sutcliffe - 1979 NL Rookie of the Year, 1984 Cy Young Award Winner, 3 time All Star

Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 AM

Wikipedia list of notable graduates of Truman High School

Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 AM

778 posts, read 1,025,201 times
Don't wanna leave out Ft. Osage:

Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post

Should have thought about those folks, I apologize. Did not find anything for St Marys.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:52 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I think in the fifties, the sports league that William Chrisman participated in was the Pony Express League. Exactly why it was named that is curious, because there was only one school from St. Joseph (where the Pony Express began in 1861) in the league.
By the mid-sixties, due to population growths, new high schools had been built in the suburbs, and Chrisman moved to the new Suburban 8 conference. The Suburban 8 interestingly had 2 team from each "region" forming a sort of "crescent shaped perimeter" around KC.

Starting up north were NKC and new Oak Park; Independence had both WCHS and new Truman; Raytown had RHS and new Raytown South; and along the south was Ruskin and Center HS.

Over the years changing demographics and enrollments added new schools to the area and the Suburban leagues re-aligned further, at one time I think according to enrollment sizes (not sure about that).

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 10-18-2012 at 11:08 AM..

Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Here is a cut and paste from Wikipedia showing notable graduates of William Chrisman High School:
I happened to read that same article two days ago while wondering just who William Chrisman was and ironically saw Phog Allen's name. During his time the HS was in the Palmer Building I believe. This was the same day when the "30 For 30" ESPN move came out over the auction bid for James Naismith's handwritten original rules for basketball which was acquired and now on display in Allen Fieldhouse.

Russ Morman was quite the player for Wichita State. When I've looked at the businesses around Lexington and Main I've wondered if the "Morman Barber Shop" was his dad's or grandfather's (or uncles") This would have been located with a few doors of SilverDoc's Uncle's real estate business.

I saw Don Buschhorn pitch several times at Crysler Stadium. Dominating as kids could be back then, he could really hum it.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 10-18-2012 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post

Apparently he wasn't a attendee/graduate, but I thought Larry Young, the only American to win an Olympic racewalking medal was from Ft Osage/Sibley/Buckner area?

He now lives in Columbia, Mo.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I happened to read that same article two days ago while wondering just who William Chrisman was and ironically saw Phog Allen's name. During his time the HS was in the Palmer Building I believe. This was the same day when the "30 For 30" ESPN move came out over the auction bid for James Naismith's handwritten original rules for basketball which was acquired and now on display in Allen Fieldhouse.

Russ Morman was quite the player for Wichita State. When I've looked at the businesses around Lexington and Main I've wondered if the "Morman Barber Shop" was his dad's or grandfather's (or uncles") This would have been located with a few doors of SilverDoc's Uncle's real estate business.

I saw Don Buschhorn pitch several times at Crysler Stadium. Dominating as kids could be back then, he could really hum it.

This might help: William Chrisman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:

If I may add a bit of history:

In 1918 William Chrisman Hish School was built at 709 West Maple. According to the indenture made and signed by Maggie Chrisman Swope daughter of William Chrisman and wife of Thomas Swope (Swope Park of Kansas City), April 1, 1916, sold for $1.00 the property for a high school. Then in 1957 a new high school was at 1223 North Noland Road, this is the present site of William Chrisman High School. The old William Chrisman later became William Chrisman Junior High and today, is a church for the Restoration Branch of the Reorganized Church of Later Day Saints.

William Chrisman High School built in 1957 incorporated a 1935 building previously used as Ott Elementary School. The original structure of Ott housed 13 rooms and restrooms. The main wing of the building was opened in 1956 the remainder of the building was built in stages. In 1957 and 1958 the remainder of the building was completed with the following areas added, the auditorium, the gym and the cafeteria. In 1972, the the special education wing was added to William Chrisman. This addition added a number of rooms, a library and a gym to the current structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City