Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2012, 11:28 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,686,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
Sutcliffe currently makes his home in Lee's Summit.
I would wish that he had invested rather than went through what he made at the time he was playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I would wish that he had invested rather than went through what he made at the time he was playing.
He appears to be doing okay, now, in broadcasting.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I could not get the above to work, but here is some information:

“My last name is Smith because I was born into slavery and my master’s name was Jabez Smith. You probably never heard of him, sonny, but he owned a big farm and about 300 darkies on Lexington road, at Independence, Mo. Yes, sir, Jabez Smith moved from Virginia to Independence in 1844, the same year I was born. I stayed on his place in Virginia until I was 7 or 8 years old, then Jabez Smith moved me to Independence.

“He was a fine gentleman, and when he was about 70 years old he married a young and beautiful woman. She was Miss Ann Eliza Keane, and she had more admirers than most any woman in the country in those days. All of the darkies sure thought a lot of Miss Ann.

“Then Jabez, he died, and in a few years Miss Ann married John W. Polk. Sonny, if you don’t know who he was, why, he served on General Price’s staff in the Civil war, and he was a colonel. When the war broke out they moved us darkies first to Arkansas and then to Memphis, and then to Vicksburg. I was two miles from Vicksburg and I was 21 years old, when I was set free.”

p. 599
Slave Testimony: Two Centuries of Letters, Speeches, Interviews, and Autobiographies
John W. Blassingame, Editor, Louisiana State University, 1977.

My first thought concerning Lexington Road was the street off the square; however that street did not become Lexington until around 1911.

The road to Lexington, Mo., was generally close to the route that Highway 24 follows from Kansas City eastward to Lexington.

In Independence, a road called Lexington Road or Lexington Avenue starts east of Fairmount a little west of I-435 and runs east off and on almost to River Blvd at Nickell Avenue.

It then takes up again at Whitney Road, north of Kentucky Avenue, and ends at about 24 Highway.

Further east there are a couple of road sections called Old Lexington Road. One runs just a short distance and is just north of 24 and runs into Blue Mills Road. The other runs about one-half mile and is east of McCune Home and south of 24. It runs to the Little Blue and stops, but then takes up on the other side of Little Blue and runs for another half mile.

Jabez Smith’s plantation could have been anywhere in Independence along any part of this Lexington or even further east.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 10-20-2012 at 02:29 PM..

Old 10-20-2012, 03:28 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,419,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Can anyone tell me how to submit full size photos? All I've been able to do is submit thumbnails.

Thanks!
Sorry for the delay in responding and my absence from the conversation. I spent all week at a convention.

I do indeed post pictures using PhotoBucket. After uploading them to PB you'll click on the desired phot in your album, then copy the IMG code below the photo. That code starts with IMG in brackets.

More catching up here later, much to be done.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:46 PM

778 posts, read 1,010,210 times
Quote:
I could not get the above to work, but here is some information:

“My last name is Smith because I was born into slavery and my master’s name was Jabez Smith. You probably never heard of him, sonny, but he owned a big farm and about 300 darkies on Lexington road, at Independence, Mo. Yes, sir, Jabez Smith moved from Virginia to Independence in 1844, the same year I was born. I stayed on his place in Virginia until I was 7 or 8 years old, then Jabez Smith moved me to Independence.

“He was a fine gentleman, and when he was about 70 years old he married a young and beautiful woman. She was Miss Ann Eliza Keane, and she had more admirers than most any woman in the country in those days. All of the darkies sure thought a lot of Miss Ann.

“Then Jabez, he died, and in a few years Miss Ann married John W. Polk. Sonny, if you don’t know who he was, why, he served on General Price’s staff in the Civil war, and he was a colonel. When the war broke out they moved us darkies first to Arkansas and then to Memphis, and then to Vicksburg. I was two miles from Vicksburg and I was 21 years old, when I was set free.”

p. 599
Slave Testimony: Two Centuries of Letters, Speeches, Interviews, and Autobiographies
John W. Blassingame, Editor, Louisiana State University, 1977.

Sorry the link didn't work, but the site it was supposed to take you to, is the one you have just posted. Thanks for picking up the ball!

Old 10-20-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Sorry the link didn't work, but the site it was supposed to take you to, is the one you have just posted. Thanks for picking up the ball!

You would think this man, the former slave, would know if there were 300 slaves.

I found another site that said he had 165 slaves, while another site mentioned Jackson County only taxed him on 42 slaves. That site goes on to say that he might have been avoiding taxes somehow by covering up the number of slaves from the tax assessor.

There is what appears to be a ten foot tall tombstone in Woodlawn Cemetery. He was born in 1787 and died in 1855.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
You would think this man, the former slave, would know if there were 300 slaves.

I found another site that said he had 165 slaves, while another site mentioned Jackson County only taxed him on 42 slaves. That site goes on to say that he might have been avoiding taxes somehow by covering up the number of slaves from the tax assessor.

There is what appears to be a ten foot tall tombstone in Woodlawn Cemetery. He was born in 1787 and died in 1855.

Could it be that the former slave didn't know how to read or count during the time that he was a slave, (possibly only having learned after being freed) therefore, had no idea the total?

Old 10-20-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Could it be that the former slave didn't know how to read or count during the time that he was a slave, (possibly only having learned after being freed) therefore, had no idea the total?
That could very well be. He was also "only" a slave in his very young years and could have been estimating there were that many. He sounds like he was proud of Smith.

I also interpreted that Smith might have owned two plantations. The slave says he was born in Virginia in 1844 the same year Jabez Smith moved to Independence but Smith kept him on the Virginia plantation until he was seven years old and then moved him to Independence.

Maybe Smith was so wealthy he owned two plantations and the slave was counting both spreads. But then again, he says 300 were on Lexington Road.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:50 PM

I guess I knew slaves were taxed by the county.

But if they were classified as personal property, they indeed were.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
I guess I knew slaves were taxed by the county.

But if they were classified as personal property, they indeed were.

http://
law.wustl.edu/staff/taylor/manual/slavery.htm

Jackson County
County Slave Population: 1840 - 17.9%; 1850 - 21.2%; 1860 - 17.2%
Townships With the Largest Percentage of Slaves in 1860 (over 14%): Blue - 19.3%; Fort Osage (Sibley and Fort Osage) - 33.5%; Independence - 21.4; Sniabar - 18.2%

Missouri Digital Heritage: Education : Missouri's Early Slave Laws - A History in Documents

Slavery and the Making of America . The Slave Experience: Legal Rights & Gov't | PBS

Missouri "Slave Code" of 1804 made no distinction between slaves and other personal property.
Missouri law holding that slaves who lifted their hands against whites, except in self-defense, were to be punished according to the decision of the justice of the peace, with no more than 39 lashes.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City