Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times

Advertisements

Also in 1924:

Independence Ice & Creamery Co. @ Willis corner of Hayward
Ott, Henry President
Bundschu, AJ VP
Ott, Albert S-T

Some familiar Independence names

The Natatorium was around in 1924
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 05:11 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Yeah I noticed that about the Wiki entry, although it did mention the expansion included Mo. However, the company's own history webpage also fails to mention Independence, which calls into question the accuracy of the Reel Journal. Considering it failed to note the correct spelling of Glen's name, it wouldn't surprise me if its info re: names and locations was erroneous too.

Just my guess but maybe the Morrow did not have a counterpart in KC so it served a metro audience.
The May 15, 1926, issue of Reel Journal provides an update to the growing Dickinson theater chain. The chain headed by Glen W. Dickinson as of that week comprised 12 theaters, including the three in Independence. Beginning with the issue a week earlier the trade paper began using the first name spelling of Glen.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
“G.M. Purcell, formerly owner of the New Lewis theatre in Independence, Mo., and who disposed of his interests to the Glen W. Dickinson Enterprises some time ago, has returned to Independence as the manager of the Lewis, Electric, and Elliott theatres for Mr. Dickinson.”

The Reel Journal, June 19, 1926

Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times
Quote:
1924: Elms Theatre 11010 E. 15th "Maywood"

Proprietors: Emmett V Buchanan & Silver Doc's relative, Harry T Butcher

Thanks for the info! I had always known, (or at least heard) that Grandpa once owned a movie theatre! He had also owned what was later known as Papa Joe's Lakes, a skating rink, a car dealership, and several other investments. He bought a stretch of the old Airline right-of-way, and sold the land,(from the center of the right-of-way out each direction) to the people who's property butted up to the rail bed.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:57 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Thanks for the info! I had always known, (or at least heard) that Grandpa once owned a movie theatre! He had also owned what was later known as Papa Joe's Lakes, a skating rink, a car dealership, and several other investments. He bought a stretch of the old Airline right-of-way, and sold the land,(from the center of the right-of-way out each direction) to the people who's property butted up to the rail bed.
The only skating rink I know of was the B & G Rolladium @ 733 Northern. We talked about that on the RR threads here back in Sept. The B & G stood for the owners Beal & Grinter.

An internet search shows at one time there might have been a B & G East and one North. There also was a Blue Ridge Skating Rink, might have been in the BR Mall. Anyone know?

Old 11-06-2012, 05:13 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
The only skating rink I know of was the B & G Rolladium @ 733 Northern. We talked about that on the RR threads here back in Sept. The B & G stood for the owners Beal & Grinter.

An internet search shows at one time there might have been a B & G East and one North. There also was a Blue Ridge Skating Rink, might have been in the BR Mall. Anyone know?
There was a rink out east at 18106 E Bundschu, I don't recall if it was B & G or B & D. One at Noland and Noland Ct. was B & D. The only rink I recall on Blue Ridge was out aways, at about 7500 Blue Ridge Blvd, that building is now a church and school.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
There was a rink out east at 18106 E Bundschu, I don't recall if it was B & G or B & D. One at Noland and Noland Ct. was B & D. The only rink I recall on Blue Ridge was out aways, at about 7500 Blue Ridge Blvd, that building is now a church and school.

Not sure of the name, Mad, but it sat on the west side of the street across from Mt. Olivet Cemetery, which is at 7601 Blue Ridge. I seem to remember it being a small rink. There was another rink out past Indep. in Buckner, where I learned to skate.The one on Bundshu is about 3 miles from my place, and close to where the second Milk Jug store was.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Not sure of the name, Mad, but it sat on the west side of the street across from Mt. Olivet Cemetery, which is at 7601 Blue Ridge. I seem to remember it being a small rink. There was another rink out past Indep. in Buckner, where I learned to skate.The one on Bundshu is about 3 miles from my place, and close to where the second Milk Jug store was.
Yup, the one on BR is across from Mt. Olivet, I drove past it this afternoon.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Yup, the one on BR is across from Mt. Olivet, I drove past it this afternoon.

If I remember right, there were pillars holding the roof up in the middle of the circular shaped rink.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
If I remember right, there were pillars holding the roof up in the middle of the circular shaped rink.
I couldn't say, as I drove past it, not through it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City